Share your wisdom please (high end Tokai vs a '20 60s STD LP)

E.X

Reaction score
Hello and please bear with me, help needed :)

Mentioned this in more detail in my introduction post but cut short, been raising money for an LP for some time now and am finally there.
However, while waiting for restock (all EU stores i can trust are out of stock), i've kept on researching; the more you know and all that..

Had seen mention of Tokais before, but at the time had not paid any attention, was fixated on the "LP".
Can now see that with the 2200ish Euro required for a 2020 60s standard LP i can buy an LS240 (and up) Tokai. My location helps.

Which do i pick?
- I don't care if the logo says Cheapson, Gibson, or yo-yo.
- I don't care about resale value, i'm not a toy collector. This is a lifetime investment either way, will never get another one.
- Feel/playability and wood quality are the only factors, as electronics/saddles+tailpiece will be replaced in both.
- To spare you the time of typing it all, i have no way of trying out an LS240 in advance, will be a 'blind' purchase. Hence why i'm asking for opinions here.
- Not interested in used, can't afford new CS Gibsons. It's either a brand new 2020-made 60s' Standard LP, or a brand new LS240/240+ Tokai.

Comments, personal experiences and suggestions would be very welcome.
You guys know, i don't; please help me make a lifetime's decision :)

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Are the necks on the 240 's a slim 60 now ?? I always thought newer tokais neck shape was more 59 ballpark.

id take a ls240 over a gibson standard any day though.

Reactions: E.X

E.X

Reaction score
What year is the LS240 by the way ??
Thank you for replying :)
No idea honestly.. it's sold as 'brand new', i had (mistakenly?) assumed it's recent. If i'm given a serial, i'll post it however.

As to neck profiles, am admittedly yet again unaware. Am also indifferent, the only reason i gravitated towards the 60s standard is i) because the store i buy from has it cheaper than the '50s for some reason and ii) '60s have a 2A top, unlike the '50s ones. Which i found baffling, but have seen mentions of this in reviews as well.

Appreciate your input, logic dictates Tokais at this level would be the smarter purchase, but.. am clueless, or rather internet ""taught"", so i ask first :)
Once again, appreciate your time.

currypowder

Reaction score
I have and had Tokais from as far back as 1980 and as recent as 2016. All were purchased without playing first and all have been fantastic.

I have a 2015 Rockin' (a store in Japan) special run that is probably on par with a current LS240. I can offer you, without reservation, that it lacks for nothing. I'm not a Gibson hater, but I would have had to pay 2 to 3 times more to buy a Gibson that matched it.

Everyone has their opinion and experience. My experience leads me to Tokai and other MIJ brands every time.

jlee

Reaction score
Buying sight unseen, I would be far more at ease buying a Tokai, despite recent reports of Gibson having upped their game and quality control. And has already been mentioned, you get much better specs for your dollar with Tokai.

AJK1

Reaction score
I’m currently on my 6th Jap Tokai Love Rock and I would never buy a Gibson
The Tokai’s are flawless
Gibsons have too many problems and their fretboards are dry and horrible

zombywoof

Reaction score
I recently purchased a KLS230BP/GT directly from Kurosawa Music after being reassured by members on this forum as to the current Tokai quality. They are very knowledgeable and absolutely correct.

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

E.X

Reaction score
Thank you very much all, honestly appreciate it :)

I guess i can say it, what with all i'd read, the responses here and more importantly, the history of some of the posters replying to me? Am sold ^^
As Tokais entail an online purchase, i've transferred the funds from my bank to Paypal, once they're in (gotta love bank "delays"), we're in business i guess!

If i don't post in the meantime, i'll definitely take the time to show some pics once it's here, though that may indeed take a while.

Again, very very thankful guys. Bless.

E.X

Reaction score
Update!

Two different models i found in Reverb that Kurosawa listed as "available" are apparently sold out. They do however still list them as available, even as i type this.
Legal, but unethical; they draw you in, you make an offer, you lose a day (waiting), they come back to tell you nuuuh, but we do have this other piece! Just for you! That by total, total coincidence, is like 400,500 euro cheaper..
Then you find something else, same process, another day lost, again it's unavailable. You ask why it's still up then, all of a sudden /crickets.

If this is what passes for 'respectable' in the world of online retailers? I don't know, but to each their own i guess.
Was ready to push the button on something else, offer accepted and everything, but i got pissed off, so.. no.

Back to plan one, original brand new Gibson 2020 '60s standard LP. Another 5 to 7 weeks for Thomann to get stock.
I'll wait.

All this aside, i honestly wanted to thank you all again, pointless as this turned out, i sure learned a lot in the process and it's stuff i can use on an actual Gibson as well, so much obliged.
I console myself with the fact that even before this all started Thomann was out of stock, so in a sense, no time lost, would've still been waiting, lol

...:io:

Roxy13

Reaction score
No, I think they are just really slow taking down listings after they sell something. I had the same thing with a guitar I wanted there. It came back as sold, but the listing was still up for another 2 weeks. But, I've bought other guitars from them with no problems.

Reactions: E.X

currypowder

Reaction score
Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, you might consider going direct to them vs through Reverb. That'll just add on to the price anyway. And my guess is that they are probably a little better at keeping their own site more current, though I could be wrong. Here is Kurosawa's International Ordering Page:

And I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but here are a couple of Tokais that I would buy a hundred times before I'd buy a Gibson Standard. One is used, from 2018, but it doesn't look it at all.

FWIW, I've purchased from Kurosawa directly several times with no issues whatsoever,

E.X

Reaction score
As mentioned, not discounting others' experiences, only relating my own.
I found their website on my own eventually yeah, but after all this, just honestly wasn't up to it anymore.

Been a weekly, literally, adventure. That's enough for me.

I'll do it the safe way. Even if what arrives isn't tip top, they're gonna have dozens just like it waiting, i won't have to risk entering that situation where i am offered "something else", except there's only the one thing i wanted, nothing else and i can't just get my money back you know?
It being why i also discounted smaller Reverb stores that are placed within the EU. When you just have 'the one', what happens 'if'?
Plus, Thomann actually pays the re-shipping back costs, so you literally won't lose a dime if the worst occurs.

Anyway :)
Back to my reading/learning what i can without a guitar to hold, haha. Once again, appreciate all the help!

P.S. As to their maybe being slow to update their listings? From the two guitars i alluded to, one was listed in 2018, the other in 2019. They're still.. 'available' ^^

Latest Threads