Share some anecdotes from the work bench

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think my guitars are better than my ride. My ride is not a whole lot better than a rusted out rickshaw :rofl: It does have a engine though and moves under it's own power.

DaveR

Reaction score
For lack of a better place to share this news, I thought I would put it here since we were discussing shop cooling a few weeks ago. I got a quote for a 2-ton ductless mini split and choked on the almost $5000 price. 95 degrees every day this past week got me motivated, so I went out and picked up a 1.5-ton window AC for around $600. Installed it today in some brutal heat, and it brought my shop down to 74 degrees in a little over 30 minutes. I’m pretty excited to do some work out there this week!

DFC9F78B-ED9B-4FBF-B77E-DE27FCCA29D7.jpeg

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'll be doing a small one this week (AC), but my shop is only about 180 sq ft. The windows are sliders instead of double hungs though so I'm going to have be a little creative.

DaveR

Reaction score
I'll be doing a small one this week (AC), but my shop is only about 180 sq ft. The windows are sliders instead of double hungs though so I'm going to have be a little creative.
You’ll be able to get away with spending a lot less money and won’t need two people to muscle a 130lb unit up to shoulder height like I did. I did oversize my unit quite a bit though (against all recommendations). My thought being: a house AC is meant to be used in an enclosed space and work with a certain square footage, too large and it doesn’t run long enough to dehumidify. But it also just has to maintain a cool temp, not cool the whole space down fast. In my 500 sq ft garage, I occasionally have to open the big door or run my dust collector which will evacuate all my conditioned air and I wanted something way oversized to be able to catch up in a hurry, so I got one sized for 1000 sq ft. These new ones hook up to your phone and do all kinds of wizardry.

if you can’t find one to fit your window, you may consider one of those floor standing units that just has an external vent hose, and you could rig up something to interface that vent to the window out of plywood or just cut a small hole through the wall. But I’m guessing floor space is at a premium for you as well.

Roxy13

Reaction score
You’ll be able to get away with spending a lot less money and won’t need two people to muscle a 130lb unit up to shoulder height like I did. I did oversize my unit quite a bit though (against all recommendations). My thought being: a house AC is meant to be used in an enclosed space and work with a certain square footage, too large and it doesn’t run long enough to dehumidify. But it also just has to maintain a cool temp, not cool the whole space down fast. In my 500 sq ft garage, I occasionally have to open the big door or run my dust collector which will evacuate all my conditioned air and I wanted something way oversized to be able to catch up in a hurry, so I got one sized for 1000 sq ft. These new ones hook up to your phone and do all kinds of wizardry.

if you can’t find one to fit your window, you may consider one of those floor standing units that just has an external vent hose, and you could rig up something to interface that vent to the window out of plywood or just cut a small hole through the wall. But I’m guessing floor space is at a premium for you as well.
A 5000 Btu just squeezes in there so tha's what I got. Well, I got a new one for my bedroom and the old one from my bedroom is going into the shop. The old one's fan goes off kilter every once in awhile and makes a lot of noise. If it wakes me up I have to smack it to shut it up again lol. I don't care as much about noise and smacking it in my shop.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Another benefit of the oversized unit is that you don't want it to make it too dry.
Would suck to install a "perfect" AC unit, then have to add a humidifier to maintain 35%+

Latest Threads