Share some anecdotes from the work bench

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don’t do much guitar stuff in the summer, but when I do, I at least will drag the pieces into the house at the end of the work day (and I stack em on the dining room table which my wife LOVES). I’m sure it’s not great on the materials to switch back and forth, but I do the best I can. I do have permanent places in the house to store delicate stuff like my fretboard blanks and necks that have been roughed in, but most of my lumber is in the garage.
yeh, that's me. i keep all my wood components and blanks stored inside in a little....and i mean little...room i use for detail work. i go in and out of the shop to perform tasks, but rarely leave something in the shop overnight unless the humidity is low

DaveR

Reaction score
yeh, that's me. i keep all my wood components and blanks stored inside in a little....and i mean little...room i use for detail work. i go in and out of the shop to perform tasks, but rarely leave something in the shop overnight unless the humidity is low
Works for guitars anyway because the materials are small. For furniture, I might bring parts in and sticker stack them (again on the dining room table) if it’s going to be a few weeks or something, but they live in the garage for the course of a project otherwise. My wife really appreciated the giant pile of glued up mahogany panels that I sticker stacked on the table for close to a year while I got sidetracked. They eventually turned into that jewelry armoire I recently posted.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be my list if I did:

Finish paying off house
Build new garage and buy new or newer truck
NIce workshop with all the amenities including indoor paint booth
Finish remodeling house

And I'd be forever a happy Roxy. I don't need anything more really. I would be happy knowing I had the money to pay for any medical issues from now on.

the great waldo

Reaction score
I had a good one yesterday. A customer came in about a month ago with a nice charvel which he's had for about 10 years and asked me if I could restring it and could I put in a pot push pull or whatever to split the bridge humbucker. I said yes no bother and said i`ll do it when I get a minute. He phoned up the other day and asked if he could pick the guitar up. I told him yes and he could pick it up yesterday. Yesterday morning I spent some time finding my push pot drawer and bought the pot with me to work and went to the guitar. Plonked it on my bench opened the back up and surprise surprise there was a push pull pot coil splitter already in the guitar Duh! He came to pick the guitar up and we laughed about it! double Duh was it was me who put the bloddy thing in there in the first place years ago !!!
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Got a Chibson custom on the bench. What a friggin monstrosity. A disgrace. This is the first Chibson I've had on the bench believe it or not.
I could not get the control cavity cover off. I noticed that the entire back was just a veneer and it started lifting as I tried to get the cover out. It was jammed in ...I mean wedged in hard. I ended up having to cut it out. Oh well, too bad the new cover won't have the giant "Gibson Original Equipment" sticker on it. Jesus....even the sticker was very poor quality.

But that was all nothing. When I saw inside of that control cavity I was shocked. The dirtiest, sloppiest work I've ever seen. Shreds of wood shavings and god knows what other kinds of debris encased in gloops of polyester finish. Crap everywhere....the routes look like they were done by a drunken monkey. I felt like Gordon Ramsay discovering rotting meat and cockroaches in a restaurant's kitchen.

That is it. I've never dealt with this before, but the more I think about what a rip off this thing is....a counterfeit, an unholy piece of shit, a fake.....grrr! To think people would actually be low enough to want to support this criminal business astounds me. Particularly in this case....the client is very well to do, knew it was a Chinese fake but bought it anyway because "it was a great deal" and freddy can just fix it up and upgrade the hardware and it will be virtually just as good as a real Gibson.
Freddy is ashamed of himself for ever taking this work on.
New policy.
Freddy will never touch a counterfeit guitar again.

fernieite

Reaction score
Got a Chibson custom on the bench. What a friggin monstrosity. A disgrace. This is the first Chibson I've had on the bench believe it or not.
I could not get the control cavity cover off. I noticed that the entire back was just a veneer and it started lifting as I tried to get the cover out. It was jammed in ...I mean wedged in hard. I ended up having to cut it out. Oh well, too bad the new cover won't have the giant "Gibson Original Equipment" sticker on it. Jesus....even the sticker was very poor quality.

But that was all nothing. When I saw inside of that control cavity I was shocked. The dirtiest, sloppiest work I've ever seen. Shreds of wood shavings and god knows what other kinds of debris encased in gloops of polyester finish. Crap everywhere....the routes look like they were done by a drunken monkey. I felt like Gordon Ramsay discovering rotting meat and cockroaches in a restaurant's kitchen.

That is it. I've never dealt with this before, but the more I think about what a rip off this thing is....a counterfeit, an unholy piece of shit, a fake.....grrr! To think people would actually be low enough to want to support this criminal business astounds me. Particularly in this case....the client is very well to do, knew it was a Chinese fake but bought it anyway because "it was a great deal" and freddy can just fix it up and upgrade the hardware and it will be virtually just as good as a real Gibson.
Freddy is ashamed of himself for ever taking this work on.
New policy.
I feel dirty just reading this. ;)

Would it make you feel better if I brought in my 1963 Les Paul Junior (sg) for a check over? I have been thinking about doing this...

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I felt like Gordon Ramsay discovering rotting meat and cockroaches in a restaurant's kitchen.

Now, that there is a notable description. I can almost see Ramsay coming out of the cold box with his hand over his mouth.

But you've got my curiosity up. I'd want to see just how bad they really are, despite your very detailed accounting.

True what you said; what an unholy piece of shit.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But you've got my curiosity up. I'd want to see just how bad they really are, despite your very detailed accounting.

too late...I've already cleaned it all up as best I could and put lipstick on the pig. All you will see now is a new "50's circuit" harness I made with CTS pots, proper braided wiring, PIO caps.

ha...what a waste....PIO caps for a POS guitar.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
New policy.
Dave (World of Fun Stuff) came to the same conclusion after an Ace Frehley knockoff came back the 2nd time.

And yet we get the fanbois trolling the forum that they are "just as good" as Gibson.
Fuck, they're not even "just as good" as Epiphone.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t do much guitar stuff in the summer, but when I do, I at least will drag the pieces into the house at the end of the work day (and I stack em on the dining room table which my wife LOVES). I’m sure it’s not great on the materials to switch back and forth, but I do the best I can. I do have permanent places in the house to store delicate stuff like my fretboard blanks and necks that have been roughed in, but most of my lumber is in the garage.
exactly what I do. Works in progress sit on the dining room table because I don’t wanna leave em in the humidity 24x7

My wife loves it too :)

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dave (World of Fun Stuff) came to the same conclusion after an Ace Frehley knockoff came back the 2nd time.

And yet we get the fanbois trolling the forum that they are "just as good" as Gibson.
Yeah....if I had to come up with analogies:

Gibson = Cadillac
Epiphone = Ford Escape
Chibson = rusted out rickshaw with wobbly wheels

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get where you are coming from Freddy, but I think the problem is slightly different from what you describe.

Gibson is a quality product (like you say) for people with the money to pay for it. Epiphone is a quality product (for the price) that allows people to have a decent guitar at an affordable price. Chibson is the worst of all possible worlds. Too much money for too little guitar. And the proceeds are siphoned off christ-knows-where by people who should be ashamed of themselves (but aren't). And the owners (who should GAF but don't) expect you to sort the POS they bought. And you must be able to do it for penies of course, because it's "almost as good as a Gibson" already. FFS.

All we can do is set our own standards, as you have, and I applaud you for it.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would consider buying a Chibson only as wall art if I were dressing a bar.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘maybe a smashable guitar for a stage act?
Pretty much.
Something for a situation where I don't care how it sounds/plays, and wouldn't care if it were stolen or vandalized.... and something that I wouldn't have a problem removing the pickups, and driving a couple of lag bolts through the body into a stud :D

I hate displays under plexi. I get it that museums need to protect the displayed items from the pigs that populate the majority of society.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Every single case, they are extremely inexperienced youths who cannot stand the fact that despite their purchase, they are not let in to the same room as the rest of us.

They don't even know what they are looking at, much less what they are talking about.

Latest Threads