Share some anecdotes from the work bench

cmjohnson

Reaction score
A swamp cooler woiuld be an option if I was only going to build guitars, but blowing moist air into electronics....not such a great idea.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I need to see what a swamp cooler is, but dang it's plenty humid here in Ohio all summer. Since I'm working on an enclosed back porch I've been trying to figure out what kind of AC I can put in there. It gets awfully nasty in the hot weather for me. I just have a fan blowing in my face. My windows aren't the right size or type for a window AC. I'm not sure I want to put one through the wall though either as it's hard to keep cold air from penetrating in the winter.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I simply can not work in my shop in the Summer during afternoon hours without some sort of AC. I've got this little window unit that I put a strong fan in front of. If I shut the main door, I can barely get by with that.

Soon I'll be fitting a big swamp cooler to the wall. Hell, the wood needs the humidity anyway.
Try it with a 2300 F. forge blasting out both ends for a couple hours :)

Theres no AC man enough to take that on :)

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to see what a swamp cooler is, but dang it's plenty humid here in Ohio all summer. Since I'm working on an enclosed back porch I've been trying to figure out what kind of AC I can put in there. It gets awfully nasty in the hot weather for me. I just have a fan blowing in my face. My windows aren't the right size or type for a window AC. I'm not sure I want to put one through the wall though either as it's hard to keep cold air from penetrating in the winter.
If it's humid, it won't work.
A "swamp cooler" is an evaporative cooler.
When it's 100+ and the humidity is below 20%, it cools the air by evaporating water into it. It's not an active cooler, it's literally a big fibrous sponge with the bottom in a pan of water and a blower pulls air through it and blows it into your house.

You don't generally see them outside of desert areas.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Maybe I'll win the Ohio vaccine lotto and get myself a nice, new shop with heat and AC :)

Roxy13

Reaction score
well that would certainly be a shot in the arm for your guitar building....sorry, i had to
This would be my list if I did:

Finish paying off house
Build new garage and buy new or newer truck
NIce workshop with all the amenities including indoor paint booth
Finish remodeling house

And I'd be forever a happy Roxy. I don't need anything more really. I would be happy knowing I had the money to pay for any medical issues from now on.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be my list if I did:

Finish paying off house
Build new garage and buy new or newer truck
NIce workshop with all the amenities including indoor paint booth
Finish remodeling house

And I'd be forever a happy Roxy. I don't need anything more really. I would be happy knowing I had the money to pay for any medical issues from now on.
Get the house paid. The rest is gravy. I'm really enjoying a kitchen table kit build because the kitchen (and the table) is paid for.

DaveR

Reaction score
Finish paying off house
I think we’ve all gotten way off topic, but I’m enjoying this thread and it is super relevant to me at the moment. I paid off my house 3 weeks ago. I’m absolutely thrilled to have that done and be completely debt free at 40 years old. Next up is to take that house payment and save about half of it every month for the remodeling fund. Hoping to squeak some shop improvements past Mrs. R’s seal of approval, but she wants a new kitchen first...

It hit 90 degrees here today and feels like a swamp. I’m in the Ohio River valley part of Indiana. The older I get and the more time I spend sitting in a chair clicking on things for a living the less tolerance I have for sweating my butt off while trying to enjoy my hobby. I’ve been investigating adding a ductless mini split heat pump to my attached garage space. It’s a big expense but would probably be worth it. I don’t really need heating capacity, a cheap space heater is enough in the winter, but I just can’t enjoy working when it’s 90 plus and super humid. Every time I touch my table saw I’m leaving rusty handprints.

DaveR

Reaction score
The items for sale are almost entirely books and tools.

It's going to be strange to see his lifetime's accumulation of things be scattered among many people, most of them strangers. But what choice is there? Stuff has to go somewhere.
My father is reaching the age that I have to consider what to do when he passes. I will inherit an entire garage full of tools, while I already own an entire garage full of tools. I’ll keep a few things, but just don’t have the space for much of it. I wish I had room on my property to make a large outbuilding, but it’s just not in the cards, so I’ll probably sell almost all of his stuff. He also has a huge book collection.

DaveR

Reaction score
Not to mention that is a really bad environment for the wood when you're building.
I don’t do much guitar stuff in the summer, but when I do, I at least will drag the pieces into the house at the end of the work day (and I stack em on the dining room table which my wife LOVES). I’m sure it’s not great on the materials to switch back and forth, but I do the best I can. I do have permanent places in the house to store delicate stuff like my fretboard blanks and necks that have been roughed in, but most of my lumber is in the garage.

Latest Threads