Shame on you Gibson. Shame.

Meathead872

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head Jeff. I have never been any kind of a handyman.....PERIOD. Things that others describe as "easy", "no brainer", whatever, are simply not for me. I don't have the patience, and between work, my daughter, and life, I don't have the time.

Cleaning lady cleans the house, lawn company mows, trims, edges, and fortunately, I have a friend that lives close by that can do ANYTHING well on the home improvement/maintenance front. He is very reasonable with his rates. I'm old enough to know my limitations, and just don't want to f#$@ with it.

I also have a guitar tech that is reasonable with pickup or harness swaps, and knows how I like my setups. If I tried swapping that stuff, I'd burn my goddamn fingers and wouldn't be able to play for a month. So, well worth the investment.
Ding! Ding! :naughty: Winner! Winner!

peanutavalon

Reaction score
I like the way my 13 and 14 stock harnesses and pickups sound. Yes they do have low output but it gives you the opportunity to get your amp cooking. The result is a classic rock tone as good as it gets imo. It's not an overly saturated tone that comes from pickups that are too hot but an unmistakable grind that we all crave..yes the aftermarket stuff is great but for me the stock stuff is just fine.

modavis99

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced the (very good) pickups on my new Greg Martin simply because I had them and hadn't tried them out yet. They're a set of Wizz PAF clones. I made the switch last night and used the stock harness. Right away I noticed greatly improved clarity and more bite.

Today my harness from MSSC arrived. I decided to replace the stock harness for shts and giggles, just to see if it made any difference with the new pickups.

I think the difference was GREATER between harnesses than between pickups! Just unbelievable that Gibson continues to use sub-par electronics on their custom shop level guitars. How can an $80.00 harness make such a huge difference in not only tone but the level of control of volume and tone? I can't make this guitar sound muddy at the moment. It sounds good in every setting I've tried.
I agree with the OP. I know some of you like Gibson pickups but I am not a fan. Pickups and electronics are so important to tone. Many of the new winders (Throbak, WCR, Wolfetone, Sheptone, Lollar, ...) are making fantastic pickups. Gibson should just buy its pickups from these guys.

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
More BS

Great argument! Otherwise, feel free to explain, maybe I´ll change my mind?

Which is it? Snake oil or "a great service" ? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

In my opinion it´s snake oil, but since alot of people appreciate it, it´s a great service. Isn´t it strange how things in life are not always only one way? How opinions differ, and how the grey scale makes almost nothing black or white?

And you know this how? Further, do you think any of the vendors work for free? Ever hear of profit to sustain a business? Apparently not.
I assume this since another (well respected) vendor sold me pots for 5 bucks each and he told me they were the same as these: Mojotone Vintage Taper CTS 500K Short/Split Shaft Guitar Potentiometer

If he sells me pots for 5 bucks each, then he don´t pay that for them. In the example given, it was Jonesy. On his homepage he sells 4 CTS 550 pots for 44 USD = 11 USD each. He don´t sell them for 11 if he pays 10 for them, no way in hell. Also Luxe bees for 59 USD is the exact same price anyone can get them out of ebay for, I would assume anyone who does business with it buy in bulk and get better prices. If not, vendors would in fact work for free, which I´m not assuming.

Why on earth would I think anyone would work for free? I sure as hell wouldn´t. The only thing I said was that the example given costs for a harness was way off.

Edit: some of my replies got stuck within the quote, I don´t know how to fix this.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I assume this since another (well respected) vendor sold me pots for 5 bucks each and he told me they were the same as these: Mojotone Vintage Taper CTS 500K Short/Split Shaft Guitar Potentiometer

If he sells me pots for 5 bucks each, then he don´t pay that for them. In the example given, it was Jonesy. On his homepage he sells 4 CTS 550 pots for 44 USD = 11 USD each. He don´t sell them for 11 if he pays 10 for them, no way in hell. Also Luxe bees for 59 USD is the exact same price anyone can get them out of ebay for, I would assume anyone who does business with it buy in bulk and get better prices. If not, vendors would in fact work for free, which I´m not assuming.

Why on earth would I think anyone would work for free? I sure as hell wouldn´t. The only thing I said was that the example given costs for a harness was way off.

Edit: some of my replies got stuck within the quote, I don´t know how to fix this.
I see the word "assume" a whole lot in this post, and you know what they say about that word, right?

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
I see the word "assume" a whole lot in this post, and you know what they say about that word, right?
Sorry mate, english is not my first language, so I might use the word incorrectly, and no I do not know what they say about it, but I assume it´s nothing that is in my argumentations favour, based on your previous cuddling with aforementioned vendor :fingersx::applause:

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well , I'm not going to get into this mix , But if you point out what "assume" means to those who see it that way , to someone who doesn't "know" about it , The least you should do (imo) is explain it ....:thumb::naughty:

For LpCustom2007

ASSUME === ASS - U - ME :wow:

It would be better to use the word Presume

Hope that translates :lol:

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
Ah so Im assumed (pun intended) ass being homosexual? Ha ha, that's funny!! No probs. However, there's a lot of buttkissing around here and it aint me..

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry mate, english is not my first language, so I might use the word incorrectly, and no I do not know what they say about it, but I assume it´s nothing that is in my argumentations favour, based on your previous cuddling with aforementioned vendor :fingersx::applause:
Well, Jeff hit the nail on the head with the translation above. The bottom line is, you were correct in using the word assume in all cases in your post. What that says is, you have no KNOWLEDGE or FACTS, strictly your own thoughts on prices paid by vendors. Hence the translation Jeff provided.

The FACTS are, that I got not only a great product from Martin, but incredible customer service.

First, the product. My issue was my tone and volume pots being close to useless on my R9......for me, that's a big problem, as I utilize them A TON. I wasn't looking for fairy dust tone changes. I got exactly what I was looking for at a reasonable price. I was super happy with the results.

Second, the service. I PM'd him at around 10 p.m. with my contact info, including phone number. I figure maybe I'd get a call in the following couple of days. Not only did he call me back within minutes of my PM, he said he would get my harness out the next morning because he was going in for surgery the next day!

Call it what you want, but you bet I will give my business to a guy like that, and make sure I put my two cents in when someone is making nonsensical statements based on zero knowledge or facts.....or ASSumptions as it were. :wave:

Edit: And no, the translation Jeff provided has nothing to do with anyone's sexuality or insinuation thereof. It simply means you are an ass for making statements when you have no real knowledge of or facts about the situation...get it? It makes you appear to look like a fool. That's it.

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
Last I checked it was okay for a business to make a profit. I don't care how much a vendor pays for the parts or how long it takes them to assemble the product. I care about performance of said product and customer service. If I personally feel the price is in line with my needs, I pay it. I don't question how much profit the vendor is making.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

The MojoTone pots and the WD CTS550K pots have entirely different price structures. Not that you would know that...

ashbass

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Back on topic. From the "old" days.

Gibson's Ed Wilson explains Gibson's (then) new bumble bee caps:
Response

An all time classic pic of Gibson's chicanery

KenG

Reaction score
I find my LP bright enough now and personally wouldn't want any more highs that would come from (consistently) >500K pots. I also find for my needs the adjustment is fine as do others but to each their own.
The customers of the replacement product are all very happy so you cant argue it's not good/great service being offered.
My only issue with this thread is calling the standard pots and electronics crap. Total bull**** frankly. If the parts are within specification (and I'll bet there were) then they were fine. Think about the bitching that goes on about this stuff from people on this forum who are basically weekend warriors! Plenty of professionals can & have worked with what they get off the shelf and it's a person's guitar and money to do with as they will but before a person starts calling stuff out they should look in a mirror. Some of us are taking ourselves far too seriously.
Sorry rant over.

rich85

Reaction score
I learned a lot coming on this forum and even started to believe some of the stuff that gets said.

Lots of modding later I realised some guitars just sound crap.

My belief now is if it sounds crap straight out of the box. Put it back in the box.

There are some people who I guess you could call 'burst chasers' who will mod a guitar within an inch of its life to get it exactly like a burst.

That's cool but I don't sit with that camp. I personally think their guitars turn out great but I completely happy withy stock historics. New wiring might "open" the guitar up but hey now you don't like how shrill it can be maybe change the.............

You end up chasing a sound that you already had.

jlb32

Reaction score
It's obviously personal preference. IMO there is no "better". It all depends on what a individual likes and as we all know everyone doesn't like the same thing tonally. That IMO is great. Would be pretty damn boring if everyone wanted the exact same tone.

For many Gibson stock caps, pots and wiring work perfectly fine for them. I have no issues with the current Gibsons I own and no plans to change to anything brighter. Some however are looking for something different so they go to great places like MSSC hoping it gets them closer to what they personally want.

IMO calling Gibsons caps, pots and wiring horrible is just a opinion. We all have them. I personally don't feel the same as I'm more than happy with the stock components on all of my current Gibsons.