Shake Shack Detroit

Olds442

Reaction score
so bummed she didn't trip over that chain, would have been awesome.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit used to be such a great city, and as a kid it was a great place to grow up.

Before we moved out of Detroit to Warren in Jan. 1966, we lived on the upper east side of Detroit near 8 Mile and Schoenherr. Tons of kids, everyone had a mom and dad and we'd be out at 9:00 at night and no one bugged us.

Damn shame.

So many places in this video are familiar, too numerous to describe. I like the view of Detroit from across the Detroit River in Windsor, CA at Dieppe Park.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still love parts of Detroit… it’s in need of an overhaul and some people actually try … but they can’t stay long…

my mom worked downtown for Blue Cross - Blue Shield for 30+ years, I was downtown quite a bit…

It’s funny how Windsor is a completely different world… there was a park over there with a Lancaster bomber on a pedestal… since moved..

Sct13

Reaction score
Wow I just watched that video and Detroit looks co
Completely different… it certainly isn’t that vibrant anymore… the streets are deserted…

I did recognize Tiger Stadium (Briggs stadium then) off Michigan Ave and Trumble …Cadillac square and a few tidbits … but there was a lot changed since I was small … this was before Ford theater burned. (In a shot) and before the Wayne county court house …

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are sections that are cool downtown but I wouldn’t venture out alone or unarmed down there, even a couple of the hotels will tell you to stay vigilant after dark.

St Louis is the same way, beautiful city going to hell in a hand basket, I’ve been there several times recently and stayEd downtown, every night I’ve heard several gunshots.

I love cities for quick visits or baseball games but to hell with living in one

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I still love parts of Detroit… it’s in need of an overhaul and some people actually try … but they can’t stay long…

my mom worked downtown for Blue Cross - Blue Shield for 30+ years, I was downtown quite a bit…

It’s funny how Windsor is a completely different world… there was a park over there with a Lancaster bomber on a pedestal… since moved..
Back in the early '90s, my dad would take my sisters and I to Windsor to watch the Detroit fireworks. Might as well have been the land of OZ - no trash all over the streets, and not one spec of graffiti, anywhere.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
67' riot was the end of Detroit.

The same brilliant thinking seen today in other cities of we're mad so let's burn and loot small businesses in the neighborhood and go full warzone.

The money people left town and with them any hope of back to normal.

Remember mom and dad making an emergency run one night to get her mother after she called and said there was a National Guard tank going by her place.

Throw in the corrupt mayors that followed along with the 80's import car invasion and Motown was declared dead.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

My wife worked there a few years in the 80s, and a friend of ours retried from there a couple years ago, she retired as a manager and I'm willing to bet she and your mom were at least familiar with one another. Small world.

Sct13

Reaction score
My wife worked there a few years in the 80s, and a friend of ours retried from there a couple years ago, she retired as a manager and I'm willing to bet she and your mom were at least familiar with one another. Small world.
My mom was in purchasing/finance se retired as an administrator… she said it just a secretary job though…. Yea small world..

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes...the proper way to say it!
Or...like the great mayor Coleman Young would say..
The city of Detoilet.
Good ol' Coleman Young.

Had a weird kind of speech impediment that messed up his pronunciation , used to pronounce the City of Detroit "The thity of Detwoit."

Big joke when he was mayor was "What's fee-fi-foe-fi-foe-fee-fee? Coleman Young's phone number.

Latest Threads