Sh****t! I left my amp on......

mdubya

Reaction score
My old Marshall JMP has been left on by accident several times in its 43 years. Sometimes for up to a week.

I sure wouldn't worry over modern JJ tubes.

I do wish I have my old set of late 80's Ruby Tubes back, though.

FWIW-I used to get the amp setup and on standby as early as possible when gigging. The longer it was on, the better it sounded. By the end of the night is was molten. Even at home, I do that. Put it on standby when I wake up, glorious tone all day. That amp has the potential to be around a lot longer than I do.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
And they were made/wired exactly the same? You know that?
Didn't say they were wired the same. I grew up with tube radio and TV and not one of them had a standby switch. Some of my current amps don't have one, either. The ones that do have a standby switch get switched on, not put on standby.

wmachine

Reaction score
Didn't say they were wired the same. I grew up with tube radio and TV and not one of them had a standby switch. Some of my current amps don't have one, either. The ones that do have a standby switch get switched on, not put on standby.
So does old ones and others that don't have them mean that all don't need them? If they are not all the same (and they are not), how can you make a sweeping generalization the the switch is not needed?
The internet brings us all kinds of perspectives. I'm sure you can find someone who doesn't look before he crosses the street and swears it is okay to do so, citing he does it all the time without a problem.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
So does old ones and others that don't have them mean that all don't need them? If they are not all the same (and they are not), how can you make a sweeping generalization the the switch is not needed?
The internet brings us all kinds of perspectives. I'm sure you can find someone who doesn't look before he crosses the street and swears it is okay to do so, citing he does it all the time without a problem.
Why you don't need standby

Adambomb

Reaction score
I always leave my Bogner and Friedman amps on all day while I'm in the studio. Which is on average two or three days a week from 9 am to 4 pm, amps on. Never a problem, and actually I think they are much more reliable after they have been on idle and warm for a few hours, a couple of days a week.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Constant T, constant I, constant P.....What's not to like...

MagneticTape

Reaction score
I left a tube compressor pedal on for a month once. Didn't realize you needed to kill power completely or it wasn't off.

My Les Paul Classifieds