Sh****t! I left my amp on......

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Outside the town where my shop is, there is an old rough open front barn beside the house with an ancient B&W tv. Ten or fiften years ago, my biz partner and I drove by and the tv was on and nobody out there.... My biz partner said it had been on since when he was a little kid and he was in his forties at the time.... He said the old man NEVER turned it off....or changed channels.... Summer or Winter... Never touched it...ran 24/7 for decades....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Constant temperature, constant ▲I swing around ICDQ...... Constant conditions = lasta longa time....

Kinda likey light blubs which are vacuum tube diodes with no plate (yes Edison tried that and said 'oh well'..the dumbass)... Leave em on and they will last for years and years.... Constant temp, constant I.....lasta longa time....

Computers will last longer never shutting them down....

sonar

Reaction score
More dumb than brag, but I’ve accidentally left amps on standby for up to a couple days and never had any issues.

My record - A couple years ago I accidentally left my 6G15 clone on for 3 weeks (no standby) when the band went on a summer hiatus... it was fine.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
We've had multiple other conversations about this before, so search around. I'm not going to repost links and articles, etc (though I wish that a sticky would be made about this).

There is absolutely no reason to use a Standby switch on about 99% of amp designs out there. They're just a convenience. In fact for most amp designs (Fender springs to mind), you should NOT use the Standby switch at all, as it's a poorly implemented design. It's okay to just turn the amp off and on, and you can still wait thirty seconds before playing if you want to.

irocdave12

Reaction score
That’s what’s nice about my Hughes and Kettner amps I’ve used the past several years....They light up the front face plate like a billboard when powered on and it’ pretty hard to accidentally leave one on with it lighting up half the room. As for the OP at the least you’ve nicely burned in your tubes to a nice stable operating condition. Worst case is you may have lessened their life by the cathode poisonin as stated prior. But I doubt the amp took any harm and its likely just down to the tubes which are easily replaceable

jwinger

Reaction score
If the amp is well built that shouldn't be a problem at all. Most good builders would leave if on a super long time as part of post build quality control. Honestly, don't sweat it.

Pageburst

Reaction score
Standby switches are even detrimental when used with amps that have a tube rectifier. When you turn both the power and standby switch on (operate) at the same time, the tube rectifier provides for a nice, gradual power up to the amp. This effect is basically lost if you power the amp on and THEN switch on (operate) the standby

Yes, I concur, standby switches are not good things. It would be like having a airbag that inflates after the crash.

StubbyJ

Reaction score
W
Hell, I've left one of mine full on for a couple of days.... I don't even think about it....

I'll play through it for a couple of hours, watch a tv show or movie and practice another hour or two....then sometimes forget to shut down when I hit the rack....

No problems at all.....

Tubes are good until they're not.

Similarly:

Strings are good until they're not.
Gears are good until they're not.
Bridges are good until they're not
Stops are good until they're not.
Electronics are good until they're not.
Speakers are good until they're not.

Just is....

Why worry about what might happen... Waste of time and energy.....

If you must worry about something, worry about the giant meteor headed our way that if it collides with this rock, we will all be doomed to countless episodes of uncontrolled Ralphing, massive blowouts, along with skin secretions that smell like Limburger left in the hot car all day..... Death would be a blessing...and smell much better.....

Matters of magnitude.... Don't sweat the small stuff.....

edro.
What about marriage?

• Haha
Reactions: ehb

jimmer_5

Reaction score
I just caught my 3 year old turning on one of my amp heads today - problem is it wasn’t connected to a cab or load box..... I’m so lucky I caught him doing it - that would have ended badly.

Yep, I’ll be pulling the power cord out of that amp when not in use from now on! I don’t need any burned up transformers.

moreles

Reaction score
Well, the components (like tubes) whose life is measured in hours of operation logged lots of hours, but still only a small fraction of life expectancy. The real issue is heat, and that varies a lot by amp and I don't know about yours. In many cases, it's a non-issue, but in some it can build up and do cosmetic damage or even expose your stuff to risk of fire. So while most times we get away with this, it's not without risk. I do the power strip thing so that after shutting down my amp, board, etc., I can do a "global" shutoff eliminating risk. As for standby switches -- they are an unhelpful addition, addressing a trivial "need" while increasing the likelihood of exactly what was reported here. No one really needs their amp to "stand by." It's a bad habit.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
The Class 5 has no standby switch, and although the manual specifies a 16 ohm speaker, the engineers tested it with 4, 8 and 16 ohm loads, and no load at all. The test unit survived all, but the designer said he couldn't recommend such abuse.

It it much worse to add or remove a speaker load than it is to switch on without one.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Recording studios leave amps on for days at a time. Maybe not 4 days but meh it’s just fine.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
Waaay back doing theatre sound munky, we had a full rack of big greens pushing the big JBLs all over the place... (Wide arc top front, wings, balcs , and unders... )

It might be 20hrs of Gino & Joe on a rough work day. ABB thru every driver in the building is an experience.

Campus police came in a couple of times to tell me they could hear the metal louvred chiller building on top of the massive auditorium building rattling like hell from the JBLs..

I wish I could have bought all the greenies and cabs (for the drivers) when they updated some years later.. Mics too if they had sold them.. (Case of Neumans and case of Beyers, and several those big ass EV shotguns... I would have bought all of it....especially the Altec greenies...

My Les Paul Classifieds