SG's with Vibrola

moreles

Reaction score
The only think good about the SG Vibrola is that it helps balance an unbalanced guitar. Otherwise, it's a cheap and crap design that functions poorly, though a few people will claim, possibly truthfully, that theirs works. Bigsbys are fantastic for effects that sound like a Bigsby (heh heh, that is, retro) but are also poor designs that most users cannot maintain well. If I relied on trem a lotg, I would be using a Strtat, not my beloved SG, as the only sound approach to vibrato on an SG involves hacking up the body to install a real vibrato system, and I would not do that. My main ASG is an 87 Reissue 61 SG/LP Custom (the 3 PU model) which is happily a hardtail. If I need vibrato, I can just flext the neck...

jw3571

Reaction score
If you don't use the Vibrola, will it still have tuning issues? I don't on really using it but I like the look.

74JMP

Reaction score
mine is no worse than a strat, i lube it and got domed thumb wheels, and watch how I string it. The G and E go out the most but the are not off much and can be avoided, bent back in tune or finger pressure to compensative

68goldtop

Reaction score
Hi!

I´m not gonna say that an SG with Vibrola will sound/act the same as one without it - but I do love my Vibrola and Bigsby SGs!

Two SGs.jpg

cheers - 68.

74JMP

Reaction score
I am also looking into buying a 61 Reissue and what are people's opinion on the Gibson SG Standard '61

I just don't see me spending $5,000 for a custom shop 61 SG
I have one and got it when they were 2500.00 at that cost sure, 5k, I'd buy a regular or look for an old one with issues that scare off the investor collector sort. re fret changed parts stuff.

Latest Threads