SG with a Floyd Rose?

JPummil

Reaction score
Big Sabbath/Iommi fan, but somehow I'd never noticed that one of his SG's had been outfitted with a Floyd Rose. Was watching a live concert tonight (Wacken 2009) and caught it when they played the first song, Mob Rules. I'd have thought an SG to be a bit thin body wise to do an install, but there it is!

BadPenguin

Reaction score
That looks more like a Kahler than a Floyd to me.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Hard to get a good look at the trem on that vid. To me, it doesn’t look like a Floyd or a Kahler, but it is hard to tell. A Floyd tone block would be too deep for an SG body, but trem blocks can be machined down.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looks like a floyd to me....from what little you can see of it. He never moves his damn hand!

JPummil

Reaction score
It IS tough to catch a good glimpse for sure. At 2:08-2:12 I was trying to see if I saw the standard locking nut hardware. Bar itself sure looks to be the shape of a Floyd bar. Appreciate the extra sets of eyes...I'm gonna look around and see if there's a gear tech breakdown somewhere that mentions it.

Tollie

Reaction score
I just saw Tesla and they were absolutely amazing. The original guitar player has an SG with a Floyd and he knows how to use it.

The Floyd feels very heavy and stiff to me. I play PRS guitars when I need a tremolo. Their tremolos feel way more light than a Floyd Rose. A PRS feels like a Gibson to me…almost.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Floyd’s and their locking nut seem to deprive the tone of depth, and my original ‘61 SG hasn’t much total depth to start with. I think I’ll leave it as it is.

questionman

Reaction score
Its got a wiggle stick for sure....

But damn was that a good show - have not watched it in ages

Zungle

Reaction score
Floyd’s and their locking nut seem to deprive the tone of depth, and my original ‘61 SG hasn’t much total depth to start with. I think I’ll leave it as it is.
I don't hear any tone robbing from a good build Floyd style trem at all....

dspelman

Reaction score
I just saw Tesla and they were absolutely amazing. The original guitar player has an SG with a Floyd and he knows how to use it.

The Floyd feels very heavy and stiff to me. I play PRS guitars when I need a tremolo. Their tremolos feel way more light than a Floyd Rose. A PRS feels like a Gibson to me…almost.
Floyds usually don't appear on SGs (and Kahlers only occasionally) -- the skinny body on most SGs makes it difficult to install a Floyd.

Floyds can feel heavy and stiff or light and rubbery -- it really depends on the strings and springs used.

Deftone

Reaction score
Iommi's White SG for Mob Rules is Floyd equipped.

iu

iu

Floyd also makes the FRX unit, which is top mounted...

iu

FR equipped SG's are somewhat rare.

iu

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I have a “partscaster” Strat put together with God only knows what parts — but it plays and sounds great! I had a desire for a brass spring block or tone block, or whatever it is called. I found one used at a great price at a local music store. Great, except the block was too long to fit within the trem cavity without sticking out the back. The body was too thin for it. So I took measurements, did some marking, and ground the block down with a compressor driven hand grinder. All worked out fine, and is working and sounding great over a decade later.

Latest Threads