SG replicas, anybody out there?

Popeye

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I see all these talk about burst replicas and was wondering, is there one making SGs?

I tried contacting SG Lou but he seems to be too busy or perhaps isn't into full builds anymore?

So any suggestions for someone who could make a faithful 1962 style SG let me know through the pms!

Thank you!

Pop

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I see all these talk about burst replicas and was wondering, is there one making SGs?

I tried contacting SG Lou but he seems to be too busy or perhaps isn't into full builds anymore?

So any suggestions for someone who could make a faithful 1962 style SG let me know through the pms!

Thank you!

Pop
Like this?

pshupe

Reaction score
Where are you located @Popeye ?

I will be working on a 62 Les Paul (SG) for myself in the near future. I created some 62 Les Paul (SG) drawings for Tom Bartlett. We laser scanned a very nice original 62 to create the drawings and templates that Tom sells on his site.

image of the model created from the original scanned guitar -
3d_model-04.jpg

Here is a snapshot of the drawing created showing the level of detail provided -

1962 SG.JPG

I am not sure when I will be starting my build but I have all of the components ready to go.

I bought some items from Dan at mojoaxe, great stuff and great guy to deal with.

parts-lo.jpg

and have the wiring harness all ready to go as well.

IMG_1903.jpg

I spent my Christmas bonus from last year, an amazon gift card, at LUXE RADIO. Best bonus I ever got! LOL

Luxe - Bees.JPG

I have a few bodies CNC'd also. These are based on a model that Magnus posted years ago.

bodies_low.JPG

Fun stuff. :thumbs:

Cheers Peter.

Last edited:

dcomiskey

Reaction score
I started one about 3 years ago. Keep running into headaches getting the neck joint right, so it sits for very long periods of time. :(

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm working on one for myself, a 3 pickup white custom, but since this is one of my first builds it will probably suck :rofl:

Ripthorn

Reaction score
I did one 7 or so years ago. A reasonably fun build, but I'm much more into doing my designs at this point. Lots of great builders out there.

Popeye

Reaction score
I can't thank you al enough!

Even got some recommendations on more conventional types of replicas too lol, all good stuff!

ARandall

Reaction score
Just a point of interest.....there are fewer issues with Gibson SG reissues being wide of the mark accuracy wise. About the only thing a good replica build will offer over a Gibson is the Braz fretboard. Its maybe one of the reasons why SG's tend to be overlooked in the build department. So maybe a way forward is to get a Gibson and do a fretboard replacement.
In fact even USA factory SG models are pretty good for the money - any 'heavy' mahogany only makes for a guitar less prone to the neck dive they sometimes suffer from.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A modern made SG I recently worked on (neck reset, as the factory set was a whopping 4.5 degrees, causing the bridge to be way up for string clearance, so high that the bridge pup was adjusted all the way up, and still not close enough to the strings. I pulled the neck out and reset to 2.8 degrees, fixing the factory problem) had a body made from 4 pieces of mahogany. One of the pieces was just 1/4" of the treble-side horn and lower bout.

Four pieces. 4.5 degree neck angle.

It was like playing a cello made out of parquet flooring.

Not the factory's finest hour.

It shold have never made it through QC.

..but it did.

I gotta wonder how many more "quality items" like that are out there.

Latest Threads