SG P-90 guitar help

Uncle Salty

Reaction score
Ive posted this a few guitar forums. Looking for some help.

Hi guys,

I need same help with a few questions. In the past ive had a 80s 62 ri sg and a 69 standard. I miss the 62ri and im looking for a SG with P-90s now.

I have a Victoria 5112 amp and I like P-90s better than humbuckers through the amp. I like to plug straight into the amp and turn it up all the way and use the volume on the guitar to go from clean to mean.

Ive been looking around e-bay and through some forums online like this one to try and get an idea for what kind of SG I want to get.

My budget can go as high as $1300. So vintage guitars are not an option. I would prefer a one piece body and neck and nickle parts.If the guitar does not have a wrap around bridge I would prefer a abr1 over a nashville bridge. I would like the neck to join near the body around the last frets like the original SG guitars.These are not musts and Im open minded to all suggestions.

Their is not a Gibson dealer near me. Can anyone help me with the pros and cons with some SG models? From what in learning there are a few modals in thinking about that may work for me.

They are the SG classic
Pete Townsend SG
SG jr. reissue
SG special (dont know if they make a reissue)

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks Dave

Reaction score
The P-90 equipped SG 60's Tribute would also fit the bill. They're no longer in production, but a used one will only cost you about $500. Mine is my favorite guitar, most of the time.

Reaction score
sg jr reissue

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHLbmkDnJY]Gibson SG JR 60s Blues - YouTube[/ame]

mdubya

Reaction score
I love my SG Classic. It is my favorite guitar; great quality, great player.

I don't think you are going to find an ABR equiped, one piece bodied SG at less than Custom Shop prices, but I think you will be more than happy with the under $1000 options out there right now.

I really like the new 50's Tribute that is currently available.

Clump

Reaction score
I'm with Hairless Ape. My 60s Tribute is my #1.

Jr is working real hard to unseat it.

They are both great guitars that are out of current production, but available used for way under your budget. Classics are real nice too.

Marvin Berry

Reaction score
The SG Classic that I used to own may have been the nicest, highest quality, best playing guitar I've ever owned. I only sold it because I could not get the gibson p90s to sound good in that thin piece of mahagony.

(My 90's Les Paul Special with Fralin P90's sounds so good that a) I cannot use it to evaluate amps I want to buy--it makes any amp sound good, and b) it has ruined me for any other P90 equipped guitar that I've ever tried.)

rinoatl

Reaction score
I love the 60's tribute.Affordable and great playing.

axepilot

Reaction score
The SG Classic that I used to own may have been the nicest, highest quality, best playing guitar I've ever owned. I only sold it because I could not get the gibson p90s to sound good in that thin piece of mahagony.
I own a SG Classic. Out of the six Gibsons I own, it is the best sounding one.

Toogy

Reaction score
I got an SG Standard with P90's last December and it's currently my #1, love playing it!

Mapleleaf14

Reaction score
I just picked up this Gibson SG Classic P90 today actually from Guitar Center on "Clearance" for $715 - brand new, but it's a 2010. Gloss Cherry, big fat 50's neck...plays like a dream and sounds fantastic. Maybe you could locate another one through the GC website and have it shipped to your local GC (if there is one near you).

Sorry for the crap iPhone pic...

Attachments

mdubya

Reaction score
I just picked up this Gibson SG Classic P90 today actually from Guitar Center on "Clearance" for $715 - brand new, but it's a 2010. Gloss Cherry, big fat 50's neck...plays like a dream and sounds fantastic. Maybe you could locate another one through the GC website and have it shipped to your local GC (if there is one near you).

Sorry for the crap iPhone pic...
Can't say enough good things about my SG Classic. You photo just prompted me to go play mine, which is the #1 reason why I come to MLP. Inspiration!

Uncle Salty

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I found a guitar but its not a SG or a Gibson. Its a LP JR. type and I happy with it. I ended up paying a little more I thought it was a good deal.

Latest Threads