SG Neck Question

Sirstringalot

Reaction score
I'm looking at the new SG standard and it says (long tenon 19th fret neck join).Has this been done on previous models and is it really stonger?
Thanks

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
I'm looking at the new SG standard and it says (long tenon 19th fret neck join).Has this been done on previous models and is it really stonger?
Thanks
My main guitar for the past 11 years has been a 61 reissue SG. I had heard the neck joints weren't very strong and started off really babying the guitar. But I naturally flex the neck for slight vibrato and soon noticed I'd begun doing it to this guitar too.

So far so good. If I'm not breaking mine I highly doubt the longer tenon will be an issue.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early 60's - neck joins body at 22nd fret and the horns are thin.
Late 60's - neck joins body at 19th fret and the horns are thicker.

If the SG Standard '61 with small guard is supposed to be an early 60's model and the SG Standard with batwing is supposed to be a late 60's model, the current SG Standard is completely wrong. They used an early 60's style body with thin horns and combined it with late 60's features of a batwing and neck joint at the 19th fret.

full

Last edited:

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks

In no way is it going to come apart on you. Trust and believe that.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I presently have a SG Tribute and wondering if the neck join is as strong as the standard?
I don’t see why not.
Both guitars have the neck join the body at the 19th fret.

Standard has a mahogany neck.
Tribute has a maple neck.

Latest Threads