SG Love

Roxy13

Reaction score
I "only" have 2 Gibson SGs at the present moment, but also have 3 MIJ replicas, and another import one of unknown country of origin so I consider myself to have 6 of them at the present moment. I think though I've gone a little off the deep end, but they are my favorite guitars :)

moreles

Reaction score
I can understand why some people don't go for SGs, and they vary a lot, but mine -- an '87 '61 LP/SG Custom reissue in white (3 PU) -- is my best-playing and most usable guitar, and this is in the context of a lifetime of playing innumerable instruments. It's not for everyone, but for me it is phenomenally fast, tonally versatile, and fits really well physically. Even more than the Strat, which looks more and more retro, I think it is a timelessly current shape for a guitar.

Deftone

Reaction score
Never liked SG's until I tried one. Now I love them.

drpietrzak

Reaction score
I have come to them late, and I have a history of some fickelness over the decades, but I have a fondness for SGs the last 5 years.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Some fine SG-s you have here gentlemen. Im seriously GASing for one. Those 2019 Standard SG-s look amazing. What is the consenzus about the 2019 SG line??

Consensus is its going to be awesome. An SG with a sideways vibrato. An SG with a lyre tremolo. An SG Standard. These beautiful SG Specials. A custom shop 1964 Gibson SG Standard re-creation. There is so much to love!

Joncaster

Reaction score
Got a '19 Standard (Batwing, shown in my profile pic).

I had to buy it. It spoke to me like no other guitar i've ever played, in 24 years of playing.
I don't quite know why it did, but it was undeniable.
A few Gibson's came into the shop, and was unboxing them, always a fun way to spend a quiet afternoon..
Took this one and started playing it, and suddenly was lost in it.
I forgot that I was playing a guitar with a neck and frets and strings, was like it became an extension of me.
I didn't even care about what it looked like (which I love anyway).
Got a good price (cause working in music/pro-audio retail), and just did it.

No neckdive, no nut problems, great frets, perfect neck for me, smooth binding.
These low frets are perfect for the feel and the rounded neck, for my tastes, even though I like medium Jumbo to Jumbo generally. Still plenty of space to get under for bends, but i keep a medium-high action.

It sounds amazing, but hey, i'm still gonna get a set of pickups to get that last percent.

Anyway, thought i'de add to the Love for SG's. I'm so happy that guitar came into the shop.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Got a '19 Standard (Batwing, shown in my profile pic).

I had to buy it. It spoke to me like no other guitar i've ever played, in 24 years of playing.
I don't quite know why it did, but it was undeniable.
A few Gibson's came into the shop, and was unboxing them, always a fun way to spend a quiet afternoon..
Took this one and started playing it, and suddenly was lost in it.
I forgot that I was playing a guitar with a neck and frets and strings, was like it became an extension of me.
I didn't even care about what it looked like (which I love anyway).
Got a good price (cause working in music/pro-audio retail), and just did it.

No neckdive, no nut problems, great frets, perfect neck for me, smooth binding.
These low frets are perfect for the feel and the rounded neck, for my tastes, even though I like medium Jumbo to Jumbo generally. Still plenty of space to get under for bends, but i keep a medium-high action.

It sounds amazing, but hey, i'm still gonna get a set of pickups to get that last percent.

Anyway, thought i'de add to the Love for SG's. I'm so happy that guitar came into the shop.

Love hearing stories like this. In 5 or 10 years, you may be tempted to sell, as it sort of happens to all of us. Remember this post and hold onto it!

DaveSG

Reaction score
2000 SG Special

2001 SG Standard Korina

2004 SG Special

2004 SG Classic

2006 SG Classic

You've got some killer axes. I used to own a 2007 SG Classic, but was a big dummy and sold it. Had an awesome HUGE neck, and played like butter. Sounded great too. I remember taking the cavity cover off and one of the screw holes had a huge crack in it, and was so bummed I moved it on. In hindsight, I tend to overlook that stuff now. It if is a great guitar, it is a great guitar, warts and all.

Your 2000 SG Special looks a lot like my 92 Special, sans pickup covers. Best sounding SG I have and rivals the best sounding SG (2005 GC 62 Reissue) I've ever heard.

DaveSG

Reaction score

DaveSG

Reaction score
I "only" have 2 Gibson SGs at the present moment, but also have 3 MIJ replicas, and another import one of unknown country of origin so I consider myself to have 6 of them at the present moment. I think though I've gone a little off the deep end, but they are my favorite guitars :)
Only 2? You've got some work to do!:laugh2:

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I commented on this guitar - she's a beauty! How is the neck on it, thick or thin? Shape/profile?
Slim profile but not shredder slim. It has a bit of girth to it. The rolled binding is especially nice.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
2000 SG Special

2001 SG Standard Korina

2004 SG Special

2004 SG Classic

2006 SG Classic

I have a '92 SG Standard in Blue Metallic (darker than Pelham, pretty much like Lake Placid Blue), the other LE color at the time was the TV Yellow, which I have never seen an example of. Do you have of those?.
Al

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
I have a '92 SG Standard in Blue Metallic (darker than Pelham, pretty much like Lake Placid Blue), the other LE color at the time was the TV Yellow, which I have never seen an example of. Do you have of those?.
Al
My 2004 SG Special was originally an SG Special Faded Worn Yellow. To avoid hijacking this thread, more info and photos about that guitar can be found below.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Haha, nice collection man! Those Epi's with the lyre trem are awesome. I came close to picking up one of the black/gold ones years ago, but the few I've handled are boat anchors, literally 9-10lbs. What do yours weigh?
The black one is a stock 2005 SG Deluxe and weighs 8lb 3oz. Th red one is a 2003 G-400 Vintage with an aftermarket lyre and weighs 7lb 6oz. The deluxe has been a workhorse for me. The red has 57 classics and is my favorite for slick acid rock leads.

My Les Paul Classifieds