SG Custom "issues" guitar questions

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK. I wanted to se the solder joints because in order to refinish the guitar the electronics, pickups etc all need to be pulled out, which obviosly would break the solder joints conecting the pickups to the harness.

The finish looks quite old, so I was thinking what if this actually was the original finish... and it was just asumed a refin because of the rare color. But it is clear from the cavity shots that the solder joints have definitely been touched so that theory is pretty much out the window.

Factory solder joints are typically VERY clean. Much cleaner that what I see in those pics.

Here is and example of original early 60's joints, allthough this is wired differently because its not a 3 pickup custom.

cavity.jpg

Core

Reaction score
Thanks Kevin that's awesome info! It does look pretty messy in there. Your looks like 50's wiring too. Nice!

sasquatch

Reaction score
Nice SG. Very Nice.
If it was mine I might just get a new W/B/W pickguard for 2 pickups and rewire it with just the neck and bridge pickups in, leave the mid one out. Just simplify it a bit. The middle pickup is either really useful or barely used.
Perhaps I'd Angus it with a black pickguard and new Gold HB covers with the new bridge you mentioned...remove, clean & polish the lyle to a lustrous shine
Replace the speed knobs with witch-hats or chrome tops and put a ring around the switch.
Mojo is there...careful selection of updates is the only thing

Latest Threads