SG Custom "issues" guitar questions

Core

Reaction score
I'm looking into an "issue" SG Custom right now that I'm seriously considering but one drawback is that due to a refin about 25-30 years ago it's missing it's serial number. It may be there faintly but it's really hard to see. Pots date it to mid 65, heel dates it to 66-68. When did the heel change in those years?

No breaks or other issues other than minor parts changed here and there. Bridge was changed to Norlin years Nashville style with the small metal inserts but with a good luthier could be changed back to ABR-1. Price seems right.

Might be a great custom to get into and I could either play as is or semi restore it. The body and neck look great, could have had a refret but not sure.

Is the missing serial number a BIG issue down the road?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

rockstar232007

Reaction score
The serial number isn't really missing (it's impressed into the wood), so I wouldn't worry about that. The only thing that would affect the value is the non-original bridge.

BTW, how much?

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The very last guitars out the door in 65 had the longer neck joint and with pots dating mid 65 this guitar could be a very late 65 or early 66. Make sure you like the narrower nut width necks, this one will have it for sure.

I wouldn't worry about the serial number because the refin already puts this in the player category anyways. As long as it sings and its priced right, go for it.

Core

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Makes me feel better about it. Kevin I think the nut width measures at 1.59 which is the same as my 69 which is good for me. It's a little thinner it seems though vs. a 50's chunky neck.

How do the the bridge studs effect the tone as opposed to abr-1? $3200 out the door is asking price.

Core

Reaction score
After a little more research I found this guitar Product Details as an example. Now I'm wondering if the refin on it was to take off the black portion of the "sunburst" paint job. There is black in the cavity and a couple spots soaked in the grain on the back near the cavity. Or it was painted entirely black from the start.

Anyway I think I'm gonna go for it.

Here's a couple shots I got of it below.

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44005-image-1.jpeg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44006-image-2.jpeg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44007-20101224-4862.jpg

Core

Reaction score
Here's a few more photos that I got from the seller. To me the wood grain is stunning. These pics show it brighter but from what I gather it's the darker color in natural light like the first two above.

The finish supposedly isn't that great but once I get it in my hands I'll figure out if I want to get into it as a project or not. Part of me wants to put it back to semi original, at least get a pickguard that's not broken. I know it needs a new nut as the one on it is cut pretty low. Thinking of getting a Faber ABR-1 bridge that fits Nashville studs so it at least looks the part. But again once I play it it'll let me know exactly what to do with her :)

Great thing about it is since it's already been refinned drilled and unsoldered, anything I do to it will be an improvement as value is shot out the window anyway.

Even though I know it won't effect the value in the future and may be corksniffing but if I were to redo the finish do you think it would be worth it to fill the stud holes and bring it back to ABR-1 studs?

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44048-20101224-4867.jpg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44040-20101224-4874.jpg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44045-20101224-4860.jpg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44038-20101224-4861.jpg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44044-20101224-4858.jpg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44043-20101224-4857.jpg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44042-20101224-4854.jpg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44047-20101224-4870.jpg

core-albums-65-66-sg-custom-picture44039-20101224-4864.jpg

Zenzeypher

Reaction score
gorgeous!

those neck joints always scare the crap outta me.

is it wrong id just leave it as is, minus the nut issue etc.

Core

Reaction score
How come they scare you? Seems like a lot of material there but I'm also not too familiar or experienced with those years.

Yeah I'll most likely just fix the nut and play her. I will update once I get her here!

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
refinish will take the collectible appeal away and make it into a player grade example, so the lack of serial number wont make any more difference.

Core

Reaction score
Yeah from what the seller says it may have been refinished back in the 80's. Why, not sure. Only thing I have been able to find on those years is walnut was introduced in 69 except the tobacco burst which was around in the early and mid 60's.

There is black in the control cavity which may or may not be original. Who knows maybe it was a black guitar to begin with and someone changed it or it was a tobacco burst and someone took off the black. Also from the looks of it there is a spot on the neck from the case that may indicate an impression being made in the finish if it wasn't completely cured. That can be buffed out if so. Hopefully I can figure it out once it's in hand.

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah from what the seller says it may have been refinished back in the 80's. Why, not sure. Only thing I have been able to find on those years is walnut was introduced in 69 except the tobacco burst which was around in the early and mid 60's.

There is black in the control cavity which may or may not be original. Who knows maybe it was a black guitar to begin with and someone changed it or it was a tobacco burst and someone took off the black. Also from the looks of it there is a spot on the neck from the case that may indicate an impression being made in the finish if it wasn't completely cured. That can be buffed out if so. Hopefully I can figure it out once it's in hand.

I've only seen pictures of one early SG in a sunburst finish. This one was posted on LPF by Tom Whittrock and I believe he said it was at his brother Bart's store Rockin Robin in the early 80's. It was a 61 and Tom was positive it was an original finish. This one also had cream plastic. I've never seen or heard of another in that color.

Core

Reaction score
I've only seen pictures of one early SG in a sunburst finish. This one was posted on LPF by Tom Whittrock and I believe he said it was at his brother Bart's store Rockin Robin in the early 80's. It was a 61 and Tom was positive it was an original finish. This one also had cream plastic. I've never seen or heard of another in that color.

That's cool. I posted this link earlier. Love this guitar! Product Details
They also sold an Inverness green one it looks like. Never saw that color before as I thought it was a new color. Looks hot! Product Details

This one's a 63 Custom
g11sg4008.flg.jpg

and this one's labeled a 66
g11sg4007.flg.jpg

SoloDallas

Reaction score
I think it's a stunning player. I too would date it between 66 and 68.
Heel changed in '69 and yours is a '68 no doubt. Additionally, you have the dotted i on a classic logo which leaves no doubt (66-68 and no later). Terrific guitar.
Assuming it is priced as a player and non-collectible, I would click on it immediately.
Gorgeous wood grain!

Core

Reaction score
Hey thanks for chiming in SD, loving your site. I made a deal with the guy and it'll be with me within a week, cant wait. I think it's a good deal for what it is and I plan on playing the hell out it!

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You know, after looking at this guitar again, the Nashville bridge has a patina that matches the rest of the hardware pretty perfectly. While it's definetley not original it does look like its been on the guitar a long, long time.... probably the majority of its life. That being the case, I think finding a correct ABR-1 that matches the rest of the hardware as well as this bridge does is going to be pretty hard. If it were me, I wouldn't even change the bridge, I'd leave it EXACTLY the way it is.

The "refinish" looks to be quite old too. I'm just curiouse but do you have any pics of the inside of the control cavity? I just want to see the solder joints.

Core

Reaction score
You know, after looking at this guitar again, the Nashville bridge has a patina that matches the rest of the hardware pretty perfectly. While it's definetley not original it does look like its been on the guitar a long, long time.... probably the majority of its life. That being the case, I think finding a correct ABR-1 that matches the rest of the hardware as well as this bridge does is going to be pretty hard. If it were me, I wouldn't even change the bridge, I'd leave it EXACTLY the way it is.

The "refinish" looks to be quite old too. I'm just curiouse but do you have any pics of the inside of the control cavity? I just want to see the solder joints.

Yeah he sent me a few, let me upload them somewhere so you get a closer view.

Edit: Ok here some shots of the cavity. Let me know what you see. Thanks man!

20101224_4876.jpg

20101224_4877.jpg

20101224_4878.jpg

20101224_4879.jpg

Latest Threads