SG Classic Question

Caoimhin

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a cheap Gibson SG Classic and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the pickup routing. I have pickguard from a SG Special and I thought about swaping it to make the classic have double humbuckers but does anyone know if humbuckers will fit in the cavity. Also would a SG Special pickguard fit properly on a Classic? Thanks

Benjammin

Reaction score
Humbuckers will fit into the p90 routes, but the positions are different than that of an SG Special/Standard big pickguard. The Special pickguard would fit the Classic body, but the pickups wouldnt line up right, you would need to expand each cavity a bit on the outside edges. I've been thinking of doing that to my Classic for a long time, but I'm hestitant to do that kind of permanent work

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a cheap Gibson SG Classic and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the pickup routing. I have pickguard from a SG Special and I thought about swaping it to make the classic have double humbuckers but does anyone know if humbuckers will fit in the cavity. Also would a SG Special pickguard fit properly on a Classic? Thanks

if your price is under 700 bucks

Buy the special and enjoy the p-90's

kmk108

Reaction score
Speaking strictly on pickup sizes, the humbucker is taller by about .2 inches. You'd need to rout the body if the cavities aren't already tall enough.

I used to own an SG Classic and I loved the p-90s in it.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I would actually do the opposite. hit me up if you get this. I would purchase the pickguard and the p-90's from you to put in a Standard

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
They won't fit, I tried. At different times on two different guitars, I wanted to add P90's to a standard - wouldn't work, and I wanted to add humbuckers to a Classic - wouldn't work (without routing).

Here's some pics, I believe they were both 2007 models.

SG_classic_routing.jpg

SG_STD_Routing.jpg

Latest Threads