SG Advice

Sky

Reaction score
Hello everyone at MLP!
I've come for the advice from much more experienced members!

I'm wanting to get into the world of the lovely SG!

This is one that caught my eye...but it has damage, replaced parts, and a strange neck repair at the joint.
Is this too much risk? Does it lack value? Should I just say no way and put money towards a Custom Shop?
I have an old '57 Gibson acoustic and love the worn in fingerboard, the checking, and overall history of it all.

Any advice, concerns, or guidance is well welcomed!
Thanks!

1970 SG

Hogie34

Reaction score
With that neck/heel joint repair, the third humbucker routing ( that’s not factory original) and non-original pickups, I wouldn’t even pay half of what they are asking. Those dragon pickups are cheap $15 eBay imports . Pass unless you can get it for way less than that.

** edited to add that I was completely wrong about the routing and should have paid more attention to what the OP posted. I saw the left pickup leg route for the middle pickup and it looked different compared to the rest and I jumped to conclusions.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi Sky! Long time no see..

There are builders here who would build a brand new one to those specs, minus the headstock and logo copy for the same price. And it would be perfect.

See @CerebralGasket , He <aherm> "might know somebody"

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "swimming pool" pup routing is how they did it at the factory for the SG Standards and SG Customs in the late 1960's. The pup routing on that one does look legit.

However, I would pass on that one.
IMO, that amount of coin would be better off invested towards a new one custom built to your specs.

Last edited:

Sky

Reaction score
With that neck/heel joint repair, the third humbucker routing ( that’s not factory original) and non-original pickups, I wouldn’t even pay half of what they are asking. Those dragon pickups are cheap $15 eBay imports . Pass unless you can get it for way less than that.
Thank you for the reply!

Sky

Reaction score
Hi Sky! Long time no see..

There are builders here who would build a brand new one to those specs, minus the headstock and logo copy for the same price. And it would be perfect.

See @CerebralGasket , He <aherm> "might know somebody"
Hey LtDave! It's been a few years but I am happy to see a familiar face here!
Thanks for the advice; I'll keep that in mind!

Sky

Reaction score
The "swimming pool" pup routing is how they did it at the factory for the SG Standards and SG Customs in the late 1960's. The pup routing on that one does look legit.
See link below for reference.

However, I would pass on that one.
IMO, that amount of coin would be better off invested towards a new one custom built to your specs.
Hey Cerebral Gasket! Thank you for the information!
I also did a bit of research and didn't find the routing to be suspicious.
Everyone seems to be right here...when spending this much money I might as well get everything I want out of a guitar.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I reviewed this thread several times and couldn’t find asking price anywhere. What is it? Hope it is not much. On top of all of the damage and cheap replacement parts, it is a Norlin era Gibson. Those are not highly regarded by collectors.

moreles

Reaction score
That's not a good guitar. What you are calling "wear" is largely damage, much of it really unattractive and some of it functionally destructive. Any mojo you see in that guitar is a projection on your part. It looks abused, and therefore pretty lousy, to me. I have a '37 Gibson acoustic that shows heavy wear all over, as it looks like it has been played all day every day since it left the shop. That kind of polaywear looks nothing like the careless hacks and cracks and bangs on that SG. With that swimming pool rout, it wasn't great even when new. It's a broken-down beater now. As Lt. Dave says, you can get a way better instrument for the same or less.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
And, oh, yes, it has the neck attached to the body with screws? SGs often havre necks that have been repaired at the headstock or at the neck. But repair with wood screws just doesn’t cut it. I don’t know what an expert luthier could do with this mess,

sparky2

Reaction score
My concern would be with weakness at the juncture of the neck and body, which translates to "the guitar always sounds out of tune because the neck isn't solidly mounted".

My brother had a 3 pickup SG years ago that suffered from neck wobble.
Never sounded in tune, and it wasn't even damaged.
Just a bad, weak design.

:confused:

Deftone

Reaction score

DaveSG

Reaction score
This thread is a few months old. OP what did you decide?

This is my fav SG - the '67-'71 large guard! I have a '71 (See avatar...)

Most of the value is gone from that guitar (pickups and neck repair), which means it could be a fantastic value/player with the right price! Mine was a player. Had a headstock break, changed tuners, and part of the control cavity broken off (lol who knows how...). But it had, for me, my 3 non-negotiables: original finish, original pickups, and no heel repair. The original lyre was a huge bonus!

I would think this guitar should be well under $2k, possible $1500. Pat# T top pickups are what, $600+ a set now? A heel repair with screws sticking out is a huuuuuge hit to resale value, even moreso than a clean repair.

Still, guitars like this need love too! I respect Dolebludger's thoughts on these era of Gibson guitars, but they do have a swagger and a jangle that I and many others love.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Google cache says the asking price was 2600
But hey its CME, what did you expect

DaveSG

Reaction score
Google cache says the asking price was 2600
But hey its CME, what did you expect
$2600? Wow, hard pass.

I'm hoping that post-Covid, the bubble bursts and we can go back to the days of sub-$10k '64 Standards:fingersx:

Latest Threads