Seymour Duncan Zephyrs

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
So as I'm getting re-antiquated with my LP I'm doing a lot of reading on the whole '59 PAF thing and pickups and magnets and.... anyway - interesting to see a different approach in the Seymour Duncan Zephyrs. The name piqued my interest as my band name contains 'Zephyr' in it (www.facebook.com/thezephyrproject). But wow, they aren't cheap are they?! Does anyone here have a set? What are they really like? Are they full of unicorn magic?

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Well, they use silver wire and custom poles, so that stuff is really expensive, and not readily available. As far as the sound, they are really clean and clear. Scooped with a very hi-def treble response.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not picking on them for the price - we all have out own mark and there's some gucci stuff in 'em. But scooped and high treble doesn't sound like what most people are looking for? What tone would you equate them too? That description makes me think Telecaster?

Leña_Costoso

Reaction score
So as I'm getting re-antiquated with my LP
So you started out with LPs when you were much much younger, and now that your a rocker-jockey (aka way over the hill) you've got the LP itch again?

Sorry... had to... typo seemed to beg for it.

The quest for tone requires you to become your own guru I suppose. There's not best pickup, no best anything... its whatever is your best. Listen to a ton of clips... thats about all I can suggest.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Ha ha ha ha. Damn auto-correct. But not too far off the mark either!

Antigua

Reaction score
Here's a dramatization of how the R&D process probably went:

Pickup marketing guy "gold plated cables are all the rage in the pro audio market. Can we wind a pickup with gold wire?"

Technical person: "That would be prohibitively expensive, and it would perform worse than copper wire."

Pickup marketing guy: "OK, how about silver?"

Technical person: "It's also rather expensive, and though it is less resistive, there's really nothing to be gained from reducing wire resistance in an AC electrical component that its dominated by reactance."

Pickup marketing guy: "Silver it is! ... What if we cryogenically freeze the pickup, will that improve it somehow? No? Well, it can't hurt, right?"

Reactions: CCK

darthphineas

Reaction score
So as I'm getting re-antiquated with my LP I'm doing a lot of reading on the whole '59 PAF thing and pickups and magnets and.... anyway - interesting to see a different approach in the Seymour Duncan Zephyrs. The name piqued my interest as my band name contains 'Zephyr' in it (www.facebook.com/thezephyrproject). But wow, they aren't cheap are they?! Does anyone here have a set? What are they really like? Are they full of unicorn magic?

they are pretty much the 59 Model wind on all the new-fangled parts. also consider that the 59 Model is wound hotter and beefier than a 59-ish PAF, making it not all that 59-ish.

better options to consider if you're looking to get in on the whole '59 PAF thing.

Latest Threads