Seymour Duncan Zephyr pickups MSRP $1195 !!!

taypeng

Reaction score
A pickup set that costs more than my guitar!! woot!

Seymour Duncan New Products - SEYMOUR DUNCAN ZEPHYR™ SERIES ZEPHYR™ SILVER PICKUPS

Seymour Duncan Zephyr™ Silver Pickups give you everything you love about electric guitar, but more. Richer tone, more explosive dynamics, more responsive touch, a deliciously dense but wide-open sound.

Zephyr Silver pickups combine four distinct innovations unbound from pickup tradition:

* Silver Wire Coils — Known as "The Great Conductor" among metals, silver and silver-plated wire's sonic excellence is well established in high fidelity audio applications, including moving coil phono cartridges, vacuum tube amplifier output transformers and cabling. Just as silver in audio makes music reproduction more convincing and alive, in pickup coils it gives your guitar punchier, jumpier, burstier feel with harmonically dense, dripping tone.

* Nickel and Stainless Steel Bi-Metallic Pole Pieces — Combining these two premier transformer metals to shape and focus the magnetic field disturbed by your guitar's vibrating strings further contributes to the vivid, energetic sound of Zephyr Silver.

* Glass Fiberfill Nylon Bobbin — Every dialectric material imparts its own sonic properties. In listening tests of new, more stable bobbin materials, we chose glass-filled nylon for slight advantages in definition and detail, as well as excellent material stability and consistent finish.

* Cryogenic Treatment — Supercooling materials renders permanent improvement to their grain structure. Also an established enhancement in high-end audio, where cable, vacuum tubes and even entire electronic components are cryogenically treated for improvements in clarity and realism, we achieved similar results for guitar tone by cryogenically treating completed pickups, copper and silver alike. Cryo treatment enhances string definition and boosts the "way huge" potential of your guitar.

Each of these options is now available with any Custom Shop order, but in combination they lend our new premium Zephyr Silver pickups uniquely fast transients, wider but smooth frequency response, deeply rich harmonics, and unprecedented midrange tone density, with audible gains in string detail, articulation and overall definition. Slighter touch produces expressive sound, yet peak dynamics are more explosive, making your guitar feel more energetic and alive. We consider Zephyr Silver the most expressive pickups so far. They are not inexpensive, but from squeaky clean to buzzsaw grind, you'll hear and feel more power, projection and expression from any electric guitar.

Zephyr Silver models are wound and ready in humbucker, Stratocaster® and Telecaster® sets. $1,195 per set.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like SD pickups, I have a pair of them (no, not Zephyrs). But I'm sorry. There's no way I'd spend that much on pickups even if they were as "amazing" as they are claimed to be. What with diminishing returns and the limitations of my own hearing, even if I was a ridiculously wealthy professional superstar, it's just too much money.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Their reasoning is hilarious. Silver instead of copper? Silver is barely less resistive than copper. Shouldn't make a huge difference. And magnets are magnets. There are powerful magnets, and less powerful magnets. Theres no way they can shape the magnetic field any differently unless they are specially designed... I'm curious to how the bobbin affects the tone, because from my views, it shouldn't change anything.

I love how they say they are cryogenic treated, and then use vacuum sealed tubes as an example. Last time I checked, the wire in the pickups is exposed to the atmosphere, while those tubes aren't.

I would love to see how all those actually affect tone, because I don't think it does at all. And if it does, not $1000 worth of difference.

VastHorizon

Reaction score
I love how they say they are cryogenic treated, and then use vacuum sealed tubes as an example. Last time I checked, the wire in the pickups is exposed to the atmosphere, while those tubes aren't.

Isn't cryogenically treating something basically changing the
crystal structure of the particles? Bringing down the temp,
treating it, then returning to ambient temperature.

Maybe that's what their goal is?

Whoah. Magnets are magnets? Haha. :shock:

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's ridiculously expensive. There's a point of diminishing returns, and when you're trying to sell pickups for over a grand, that point gets preemptively reached in my case.

Hell, maybe it's the "impure" materials and variations in "quality" that make our pickups sound the way we like them. All I know is I have some great sounding pickups in my guitars, and none of them came close to costing that much. I could buy most of the guitars themselves for that much!

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Their reasoning is hilarious. Silver instead of copper? Silver is barely less resistive than copper. Shouldn't make a huge difference. And magnets are magnets. There are powerful magnets, and less powerful magnets. Theres no way they can shape the magnetic field any differently unless they are specially designed... I'm curious to how the bobbin affects the tone, because from my views, it shouldn't change anything.

I would love to see how all those actually affect tone, because I don't think it does at all. And if it does, not $1000 worth of difference.
Oh, stop trying to bring logic and science into the conversation :lol:

Besides, if (and I said IF) anyone ever succeeded in making The Perfect Pickup, we'd all probably hate it. Too accurate, too sterile, too lifeless. The interest, the "mojo", comes from the random variations of our "sloppy" and less than "perfect" manufacturing methods.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Isn't cryogenically treating something basically changing the
crystal structure of the particles? Bringing down the temp,
treating it, then returning to ambient temperature.

Maybe that's what their goal is?

Whoah. Magnets are magnets? Haha. :shock:

Basically you make something cold. It works for steel, and other metals when you want to increase their yield strength and other properties. Last time I checked, pickups don't have to deal with forces or stress!

VastHorizon

Reaction score
Basically you make something cold. It works for steel, and other metals when you want to increase their yield strength and other properties. Last time I checked, pickups don't have to deal with forces or stress!

It also changes their crystalline structure and ability to conduct current.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I LOVE Seymour Duncan and the company.

I think these Zephyr's will be mind blowing and better than their others (not saying all pickups).

I agree about the price being too much but I disagree that it doesn't make a big difference in tone. I think it will be a better sound but we'll have to wait for sound demos to make that judgment now won't we! :cool: I think that we need to wait for those to make a judgment.

Seymour Duncan is miles and miles better than DiMarzio in my opinion and the best pickup maker as far as a "company"/brand name goes. If someone could pull off a revolutionary new pickup, Seymour Duncan would be the one who could do it. But I dunno about the price tag, seems pretty steep. But I think these pickups are pretty awesome.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Even if they are the greatest thing ever, even if they are worth every last penny, they are simply out of my my price range. It's like high end stereo - eventually you reach a point where I won't hear any improvement, even if it could be measured and proved. I can't see paying for more than I can hear.

mtgguitar

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's coming from the Duncan site but. either Seymour has lost his mind or it's a spoof.

He knows better than to put something together like this. Are the bobbins impregnated with unicorn piss?

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It also changes their crystalline structure and ability to conduct current.

But there is almost no resistivity anyways. That's my point. Copper is the 2nd best conducter, and there isn't that much wire to improve anything.

An 8.5kOhm pickup made with copper will be 7.735kOhm pickup made with the same length as wire. Assuming that the correlation between resistivity and Tone is linear, that would make a $200 set of pickups worth $218, nowhere close to $1000.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Right, but the difference in price doesn't justify how much tone you get.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more skeptical I feel. I suspect this (if it is real) is just a "boutique item" so rich people can show off how rich they are. It's like the sort who will buy a limited run, hand wired by virgins, 0.25 Watt amp for 10,000 dollars - just because they can

Latest Threads