Seymour Duncan vs. MLP wiring Diagrams

Grand Pappy

Reaction score
I searched the MLP forum to see if this was covered, but couldn’t find anything.:)
My apologies to anyone I offend if this is a redundant question.
If this is a stupid question, please let me know.:shock:
On SD schematics it often shows one lead of the cap soldered to the middle lug on the tone pot and the other cap lead soldered to ground (?) on top of the tone pot like the two examples below:
Wiring Diagram

Wiring Diagram

But, most of the wiring on this forum shows the caps soldered from a tone pot lug to a volume pot lug.

Granted, the caps shown in the SD diagrams look to be round ceramic ones as opposed to the cylindrical caps shown on most of the MLP forum diagrams.

What is the difference, between tone pot lug and the tone pot top and tone pot lug to volume pot lug?:hmm:
Advantage/disadvantage of the 2 different ways this is be done?:hmm:

Oh wise elders of tone and sound, please enlighten your Grand Pappy!:D

uOpt

Reaction score
For a first order low pass filter (aka passive guitar tone control) it doesn't matter whether you put resistor/pot first, then capacitor or vice versa.

A real difference is to connect the tone pot to the slider of the volume pot.

Torren61

Reaction score
Another thing to consider when using SD wiring diagrams is that they show one style of pickup selector. If you have the other style and you wire it that way you'll get a direct short and nothing but noise when you plug it in. Um...I know this because I spent the better part of a day wiring in 4 DPDT pots and then ripped out everything and rewired it with RS pots and ripped that out and then looked at the diagram again and my pickup selector switch and figured out what the problem was....ick.

Latest Threads