seymour duncan p rails

TKOjams

Reaction score
I'm building a Jr style guitar and thinking of foregoing the single p90 for a seymour duncan p rail.

Has anyone tried one in a Les Paul Jr.?:hmm: If so, tell what you thought about it please.
Thanks,
Ken

TKOjams

Reaction score
I guess no one has ever tried them?

Leroy

Reaction score
I haven't tried them. I was going to but when i read the specs the humbucker is 16k. to much gain and too muddy for me. The youtube reviews seemed to confirm this.

Leroy

Scott Olson

Reaction score
The humbucker mode on the P-Rail has a really thick/rich tone. With the Triple Shots installed you'll be able to get all sorts of different tonal options and if you find the series mode too muddy you can go to parallel which tends to be more open sounding. Then of course you have all sorts of other tonal options so you're not just stuck with one on your Les Paul JR.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
I used the P-rails HOT bridge pup in the Hamer-G

THey have a different wind and an Alnico 8 Magnet

they are NOT muddy

In fact.. a lot of down tuned metal guys swear by them for that very fact...

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
I have a pair in my PRS Korina Mira. That's fairly close to a Junior/Special. I really like them and they are not muddy in that type of guitar. Very versatile.

QReuCk

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using one of them in an old Yamaha RGX 110.
I love the playability of the RGX which I rate somewhere between "best I ever played" and "abso-f***ing-lutely perfect" even if some frets are somewhat badly worn. But I can no longer stand its original cheap crazy-high output ceramic pickup.
Of course I can tame it and reshape its frequency response with an EQ, but currently not to a point where I like it enough to use it for anything else than practice at home and the occasional no-other-option scenario.

I did watch some review of the pacifica 510 which is probably the closest commercial thing to what would be the end result and am think this could be useable as a backup guitar and/or a complementary one to my main axe. Still not decided on paying 1.5 times the used-market value of this axe into a P rail and a triple shot (and add to this if I ever find this interesting enough to be used on a more regular basis, I could also be tempted to have it refretted, which will again cost me more than the axe itself).
Alternatives would be a medium output H90 or a low output HB, which would save a few bucks as I could use brands with a lower price tag.

My main playing styles are brittish blues and classic rock with a light touch of funk in it (for those who may ask, I bought this RGX when I was mainly into metal and that for sure is the best bang for the bucks in this category).

So any observation from someone having experience with P rails in a single PU guitar would be really appreciated.

freddarl82

Reaction score
I haven't tried them. I was going to but when i read the specs the humbucker is 16k. to much gain and too muddy for me. The youtube reviews seemed to confirm this.

Leroy
I put a pair in a 64 Melody Maker (already routed for humbuckers by previous owner). The above statement is true...in SERIES mode. I did not care for that (I like vintage lower wound pups). So, I rewired it so now I have Rail (single coil), P90, and PARALLEL humbucker (8K-ish). MUCH better for my tastes.

That being said, the P-Rail can produce great sounds in all three modes. Problem is, each mode has it's own sweet-spot, height-wise. So, if you dial it in for the very best P90 sound, the other two modes will be compromised somewhat. If you dial it in for the very best humbucker sound, the P90 and Rail will be compromised somewhat, etc. That's not to say the "compromised" modes are bad, they're just not as good as they can be.

OTOH, even though certain modes, depending on which height adjustment you chose, are not optimized, it's a pretty cool setup that yields a very versatile instrument. Another way to put it: even though P-Rails may not be your first choice to record with, it may be your "go to" for gigging.

QReuCk

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for this answer.
I guess its good enough then for my purpose of back-up guitar with different sounds. All I have to decide then is do I want to spend the price on it or do I just save a few bucks and go vintage type humbucker or humbucker sized P90. Really tempted though.

Latest Threads