Seymour Duncan MJ’s Magicbucker pickups

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I just received an email from Seymour Duncan which says that their Custom Shop is releasing a set of pickups called MJ’s Magicbucker: does anyone have any information about these pickups?
Are they supposed to be “inspired by” a particular set, or a particular artist…?
With stuff like “Whole Lotta Humbucker” you know exactly where it comes from and where it’s going(!) and I know all about marketing strategies etc etc, but I’m curious…
Please don’t hint at a Michael Jackson signature pickup, even though it wouldn’t surprise me! Lol!

jbash

Reaction score
She's been winding them for years for people who are in the know, but IDK much about them.

Mr French

Reaction score
Not sure about it but I heard the Queen bucker was very good. MJ has worked on countless vintage PAF/TTOPS and artist so anything she produces will sound good.

Hecubus

Reaction score
I think it was all in the email:

Based on a particularly great sounding set of '59 pickups and wound on our historic Leesona machine that created humbuckers for Gibson back in the 50's and 60's, these classic style humuckers are specified with Alnico 3 magnets, butyrate bobbins and maple spacers. This offering is a warm and punchy iteration of a desired period accurate piece. These pickups are touch sensitive and offer dynamic response based on a player's attack and technique. If you're looking for a humbucker that matches your vintage expectations but sprinkles in MJ's "magic", these are an excellent choice.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
With stuff like “Whole Lotta Humbucker” you know exactly where it comes from and where it’s going(!)
There's actually been quite a bit of confusion about those, even just recently here.

I think folks are trying to figure out if they are supposed to be like the Duncans that went into #2 in the 1980s / 1990s or if they are suppose to be like the ones that went in the red Les Paul.

I think most people buy them expecting something from the 70s Led Zeppelin era, which for sure isn't the case.

I think they could have been a bit more clear about what/when they were really going for with those pickups, personally.

Mr French

Reaction score
Folks who think “Seymour Duncan” and then don’t know who “MJ” is….. those folks aren’t the target market of these pickups.

People now know who MJ is but in the early 2000s and early days of the forums we didn't have a clue who MJ was and thought of only two people "Michael Jackson and Michael Jordan" sure it was a joke but again there was a crap ton of speculation about her and everything else.

rich85

Reaction score
One pickup company with 2 different pickup sets with “Magic” in the name is pretty silly.

Basic specs seem that the neck pickup is the same as the Queenbucker set. Bridge is slightly hotter with an A3 Magnet instead of A2.

Not sure why these are only custom shop pickups. Just call them MJ PAF set as a production run and, without hearing them, would be the first suggestion for people wanting Gibson Custombuckers for their guitar.

F128F1FF-2D54-47B9-9CBB-880BA2732018.jpeg
56F3065C-C951-4EAE-9D17-3B4101994BF7.jpeg

rbraad68

Reaction score
Are these pups availble to buy ?? I would like to try a set in oneof my LP's...

CyFan

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a set of handwound "Bonnie" pups for my Strat and they are legit. MJ knows her stuff.

Latest Threads