Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pickups

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about having some custom pickups made by Seymour Duncan.

Basically what I'm thinking is getting a set of Seth Lovers wound with a Pearly Gates wind. The idea is, I'd get a more "vintage correct" version af a Pearly Gates.

Thoughts? :)

Exluthier

Reaction score
The PGs are wound a little hotter than the SLs right?

cryptozoo

Reaction score
I really liked the Custom Shop PG bridge that I played in one of the Billy Gibbons Pearly VOS Les Pauls. It was the best Ducan pickup I've heard.

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yea the Pearly Gates is a little hotter than the Seath Lovers... I've had th Seth Lover pickups before and thought they were a litle bright for my taste.

I'm guessing no one is going to chanage the pickups of a Custom Shop Billy Gibbons, and even if they did they would be the same price as the Seymore Duncan custom Shop Pickups.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Basically what I'm thinking is getting a set of Seth Lovers wound with a Pearly Gates wind. The idea is, I'd get a more "vintage correct" version af a Pearly Gates.

Yea the Pearly Gates is a little hotter than the Seath Lovers... I've had th Seth Lover pickups before and thought they were a litle bright for my taste.

I wouldn't worry about "vintage correct" but, if what you're looking for is a hotter Seth Lover model that's less bright, it sounds like you're on the right track.

I would call them up and explain what you like and don't like about each model (SL and PG); from there, they should be able to come up with a better picture of what you need. They might have even tried your idea already and can tell you what to expect which might be exactly what you want or maybe not. I don't think you should just place an order for your original idea (SL with PG wind) without first talking to them as the results might not be what you; SD builds both pups so they know them best and might have a different idea of how to get the sound you want. At any rate, if you're going to pay extra for custom pickups, you should at least be able to have a phone conversation with them.

Latest Threads