Seymour Duncan / Burstbuckers

Knarbens

Reaction score
I already asked this in another forum, but I got no answers! :(
So here's the question!:

A lot of people are playing Seymour Duncan Humbuckers with Alnico II magnets in their Les Paul (These pus of the Slash signature models, right?). Compared to the Gibson Burstbuckers and Burstbucker Pros, these SD pickups seems to be a lot cheaper in price! And in the sound? Why are Gibson Pickups that expensive? Are their really the best? Do you pay for the name?

Im interessted in getting the Slash Pickups! So I want you to make a sound comperison to the Burstbuckers, because I like that vintage tone a lot!
Thanx for help! :thumb: :slash:

Guitaristd

Reaction score
you mainly pay for the name with gibson pickups (like everything else)
it's good stuff just over priced
if you want good classic rock or slash tone
go for the seymour alinco pro II's
that's what he uses
or the 59s
i have heard that the 57 classics are a little better for vintage if you have to go with gibson
but for your tones i suggest the alinco pro II's

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I've gone through a "whole lotta"(!) different pup's in the last ten years; ya name 'em I've played 'em!
I think I literally went through every major brand, plus some minor custom/boutique ones, and found the Seymour Duncan Antiquity's to be the absolute best, bar none.
You know you're on to somethin' when it inspires you to play better and even though some pup's, Assorted Duncan's, DiMarzio's, Burstbucker's and '57+, are among the best one can play, I feel the Antiquity's are way superior in every way.

stryker59

Reaction score
i have the burstbuckers in my classic and love em! however, i played a slash lp today and i have to say that the SD alnico II's are some great sounding pickups! i wont be replacing my bb's(i love the extra bite that the alnico V's provide) but you wont go wrong with the SD's either!

Knarbens

Reaction score
Alnico V's are often used in the bridge pus right? Is there a SD pickup like the ones Slash is using, but with alnico V magnets?

richedie

Reaction score
The right BB Pro in the right LP can be magic. I LOVE the BB Pros in my burst LP.

stryker59

Reaction score
Alnico V's are often used in the bridge pus right? Is there a SD pickup like the ones Slash is using, but with alnico V magnets?

the 59, sh-2 jazz, and JB humbuckers are good ones to consider. i have heard them all and they all retain a nice vintage tone w/ a little crispness to them!

Reaction score
the 59, sh-2 jazz, and JB humbuckers are good ones to consider. i have heard them all and they all retain a nice vintage tone w/ a little crispness to them!
+1, and I would add the Custom 5 to this list, it is basically a beefed up 59, sound wise. Still has excellent vintage tones.

LtKojak

Reaction score
Looks like today's necroposting day...

Oh, well. We've all been newbies sometime, I guess. :dunno:

LpCustom2007

Reaction score
I've gone through a "whole lotta"(!) different pup's in the last ten years; ya name 'em I've played 'em!
I think I literally went through every major brand, plus some minor custom/boutique ones, and found the Seymour Duncan Antiquity's to be the absolute best, bar none.
You know you're on to somethin' when it inspires you to play better and even though some pup's, Assorted Duncan's, DiMarzio's, Burstbucker's and '57+, are among the best one can play, I feel the Antiquity's are way superior in every way.

+1 on the Ants.

Latest Threads