Seymour Duncan Antiquity vs Slash APH-2

Hydra19

Reaction score
I have just gotten some Slash APH-2 Pickups for a good price. I do have a nice Les Paul that ended up with a Seth Lover in the neck, taken from a previous guitar, and an Antiquity bridge pickup, that was eventually changed out for a full-strength alnico 2 magnet.

How different would the Slash APH-2 be from the Antiquity? Both have an alnico 2 magnet, similar dc-resistance, so I wonder if it's worth the trouble taking out the Antiquity?

I'm not too happy with the Seth Lover, mostly because it's a bit flat sounding it the neck, very flutey, so I'm pretty sure I'll try the Slash neck. Not really trying to sound like Slash anymore than I do with the Antiquity, I'm just wondering which is the better bridge pickup.

AJK1

Reaction score
What guitar are they in ?

Hydra19

Reaction score
They are in an 80's ESP Navigator, the guitar sounds great but also has a high neck angle. Came with a JB in the bridge and unknown pickup in the neck. Will be replacing it with 500k CTS pots, and the new Slashes I guess, and have some nice russian PIO .022 caps. Checked and the antiquity is 8.5dc resistance

AJK1

Reaction score
They are in an 80's ESP Navigator, the guitar sounds great but also has a high neck angle. Came with a JB in the bridge and unknown pickup in the neck. Will be replacing it with 500k CTS pots, and the new Slashes I guess, and have some nice russian PIO .022 caps. Checked and the antiquity is 8.5dc resistance
Well, I had a set of Antiquities in one of my LP a few years ago, I thought the neck was great and the Bridge ok, it sounded good but not much grunt
Also, they were unpotted, so they had an airy chimey sound which I liked
I replaced them with a set of Unpotted SD Custom Shop Pearly Gates which are phenomenal
Just gruntier and richer and more musical sounding, I love them
I had a Slash set in another LP and I thought they were thin and trebly, they are wax potted
I didn’t like them
Antiquities are wound with 42 wire and Slash’s are 43 wire I believe, which makes a big difference in sound even though they measure similarly
I also have a Seth Lover bridge with a T-Top clone neck in another LP I have and I like the Seth Lover a lot, it’s also unpotted
Apart from my T-Top all my other pickups are unpotted, I just like the character sound they give
All original PAF pickups were unpotted
They definitely have a unique sound
Just my 2 cents

jbash

Reaction score
I've owned both sets. And had them in the same guitar.

Nutshell:

They are completely different. Wire, wind, wax, bobbins,etc. The only commonality is the A2 magnet, long legs, and braided leads-, but the Antiquities are dunaged roughcast, and the slash set is a fullstrength polished A2s.

Reactions: Who

Latest Threads