Seymour Duncan Antiquities vs. Gibson Burstbucker pros

dvdkinman

Reaction score
Hi!

I made this demo for all of you guys interested in this puckups and their differences. It was all made with the exact same settigns so you'll hear everything as best as possible. No e.q. after, just a little reverb by Logic.

Recorded with a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Suhr Badger 30 amp with 1x12 ext. cabinet loaded with Celestion V30 and Analogman King of Tone OD miked with a SM-58 trough a M-Audio Fast Track and Logic for reverb and mixing.

Cheers!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUdT6xyTQkQ]YouTube - ‪Seymour Duncan Antiquities & Gibson Burstbucker Pros hambuckers demo/comparison‬‏[/ame]

jfm07

Reaction score
Wow! Great stuff! Nice playing and comparison.

FWIW, I listened through headphones to capture all the subtleties--something laptop speakers can't do. IMHO, both are nice sounding pickups but the SD Antiquities have a slight edge in articulation and warmth. They also have a very nice woody sound, i.e. the tones provided by the SD's are clearly emanating from a wooden instrument, whereas the BB's lacked this quality.

YMMV! Thanks, again! :cheers:

mikey

Reaction score
Nice clean playing. Definately love those antiquities.

acstorfer

Reaction score
Fantastic! Your video was done so professionally I would have thought Seymour Duncan produced it!

prolik

Reaction score
Great comparasion clip! My vote still goes for Gibson pups - have fuller sound, opposite to cleaner, brighter but thinner SD pups.

Keep rockin' :slash:

Machine Man

Reaction score
That was a great comparison, one of the best I have seen. Thanks. I was skeptical, but like jfm07 I listened through some good head phones. And I pretty much agree, both sound good, but the SD's have a slight advantage. To my ears the SD's sounded a bit "fuller", for lack of a better description.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
Nicely done and quite informative. I give the Ants the advantage as they lack the bit of harshness the BB Pros seem to have there. They don't sound thin to me but they are smoother. Clarity is there for both. The harder edge of the BB Pros is the difference IMHO. :cool:

RLee

Reaction score
Wow, very nicely done comparison video, and as your first post too. Very nice playing too.
I like both pickups in different pieces of the various clips -- sometimes I preferred the SD's, sometimes the BB's, but overall I think the SD's showed more character.
I just replaced my BB Pro's with Sheptone Tributes, and was pretty startled by the amount of change (in a good way), but the SD's seem somewhere in between; a bit more sweetness than the BB's, but not a startling difference using those settings. The clean clips were the most useful, as pickups start to lose their identity once you start adding overdrive/distortion, especially from pedals.

DonP

Reaction score
I prefer the BB Pros, but then again, I'm not playing that type of stuff.

les_lover

Reaction score
I'm listening thru headphones and I hear a fuller bottom end on the antiquities; and as others noted, also more clarity and slightly woodier tone from the antiquities.

cheeseflavor

Reaction score
Great demo! I think the Ants are some of the best pups out there, booteek or otherwise. I love 'em.

elcajon64

Reaction score
That was great. I was torn on which was "better" overall as each style had a pickup that was best suited. Well done!

klparker

Reaction score
I would love to through the anitiquity in the neck position, but I would keep the BB in the bridge, I might have to do that! (except I don't have either, only '57s!)

bullpentherapy

Reaction score
Hi!

I made this demo for all of you guys interested in this puckups and their differences. It was all made with the exact same settigns so you'll hear everything as best as possible. No e.q. after, just a little reverb by Logic.

Recorded with a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Suhr Badger 30 amp with 1x12 ext. cabinet loaded with Celestion V30 and Analogman King of Tone OD miked with a SM-58 trough a M-Audio Fast Track and Logic for reverb and mixing.

Cheers!

YouTube - ‪Seymour Duncan Antiquities & Gibson Burstbucker Pros hambuckers demo/comparison‬‏
well are bb1,s and 2,s or burstbucker pros, they are different! can u clarify.

bullpentherapy

Reaction score
i like the bb1 and bb2, imo. there is more depth with the bb,s. and i am listen to it with 5.1 surround 100 watt. system. so..............................

dvdkinman

Reaction score
That's Burstbucker pros, sorry for the confusion. Thanks everybody for the replies, hope you like it!

Mr_Spaceman

Reaction score
To my ears the SD's sounded a bit "fuller", for lack of a better description.

My vote still goes for Gibson pups - have fuller sound, opposite to cleaner, brighter but thinner SD pups.

Isn't it funny how we all hear both pickups differently. It just goes to show that sound is such a matter of personal taste.

This video makes me want to go out and grab a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Suhr Badger 30 amp and Analogman King of Tone....

:thumb:

Latest Threads