Seymour Duncan Antiquities vs. Gibson '59 Tribute pickups

Oldhophead

Reaction score
Could anyone provide info or a review on Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups versus '59 Tributes? I have a 2014 LP Traditional with the '59 Tributes. Has anyone switched the out for the Antiquities, and if so, what did you think? I am thinking about it, but would it make that much of a difference to be worth it? Thanks.

David Garner

Reaction score
Antiquities are amazing in the right guitar. They loved my 16 Traditional. They didn't like my 93 Standard as much.

If you like the Tributes, I'd either 1) stick with them, or 2) buy the Antiquities used so you can flip them and not lose money on the deal. Since you have a Traditional 2 years older than mine, maybe they'll sound as good in yours as they did in mine.

Oldhophead

Reaction score
Thanks David. Good advice. Hopefully others who’ve installed them into a 2014 Trad will reply before I decide to pull the trigger.

dodona

Reaction score
I can't say anything about '59 Tributes. However Antiquities sound just right in my Les Paul. There is nothing better.

Jer

Reaction score
Before you put new pups in, take out the crappy harness and put in a proper 50’s style one with 500k pots and some decent caps. I did this to my 2014 Trad and it now sounds amazing. It sounded good before but doing this mod turned it into a very vintage sounding LP. The 59’s really shine. I have Custombuckers sitting in a box and have not been tempted to even try them in that guitar.
Just a thought if you haven’t already pulled the trigger

jbash

Reaction score
Better or worse is subjective.

The 59Ts are brighter, more focused and more aggressive than Antiquities, which are warmer, clearer, and a bit more tsme/laid back.

If you are leaning towards heavier and more distorted tones and like bite,, I'd stick with the 59Ts. If you are going for sweeter classic blues/blues rock I'd give the nod to Antiquities.

Not that both sets can't overlap each other, just general characteristics of either.

Interestingly enough I prefer the 59T bridge, but did not like the neck as much as a BB1 (which it is closely related to). In the Ants I prefer the neck over the bridge (this seems to always be my preference with Duncans-neck good, bridge..ehh)

MiniB

Reaction score
I currently have a set of Antiquities in my R8 which I like for there warmer, softer feel so it doesn't get too spikey for my picking and a chimey Fender tube amp. I put a full-strength alnico 2 magnet in the bridge just to warm it up a bit and better balance it with the neck.

A cool bridge pickup if you're looking for a 'hot PAF' for more rock stuff with power and cut, but not too hot or edgy is the 'Brobucker' from the Duncan custom shop.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Better or worse is subjective.

The 59Ts are brighter, more focused and more aggressive than Antiquities, which are warmer, clearer, and a bit more tsme/laid back.

If you are leaning towards heavier and more distorted tones and like bite,, I'd stick with the 59Ts. If you are going for sweeter classic blues/blues rock I'd give the nod to Antiquities.

Not that both sets can't overlap each other, just general characteristics of either.

Interestingly enough I prefer the 59T bridge, but did not like the neck as much as a BB1 (which it is closely related to). In the Ants I prefer the neck over the bridge (this seems to always be my preference with Duncans-neck good, bridge..ehh)
Just the reverse of my preference! :D
I liked the neck 59 tribute but not the bridge. Just too thin and trebly for my taste

RocketKing

Reaction score
For the OP, I second @Jer suggestion but with a caveat :
You may not like the end result.
I also have a 2014 Traditional and I wanted to swap out the harness for a vintage style one with pio caps.
I originally intended to only change the harness and check it out but then I realized I would have been better off with other pickups entirely.
When I changed the harness the guitar tech told me that volumes were near the 500 k value but the tone pots were under 300!
Gibson advertised these as 500 k all round as per official specification.
My point is that if your harness also has similar values then you might like the pickups better but maybe it could be even worse.
In any case I also suggest getting a quality harness along with quality pickups if you have decided to change.
What don't you like about the 59 tribute set?

BlueCajun

Reaction score
For the OP, I second @Jer suggestion but with a caveat :
You may not like the end result.
I also have a 2014 Traditional and I wanted to swap out the harness for a vintage style one with pio caps.
I originally intended to only change the harness and check it out but then I realized I would have been better off with other pickups entirely.
When I changed the harness the guitar tech told me that volumes were near the 500 k value but the tone pots were under 300!
Gibson advertised these as 500 k all round as per official specification.
My point is that if your harness also has similar values then you might like the pickups better but maybe it could be even worse.
In any case I also suggest getting a quality harness along with quality pickups if you have decided to change.
What don't you like about the 59 tribute set?
Similar to my experience with the pots of my 2014 Traditional. The tone pots were 500k audio taper but volumes were 300k linear. Swapped the volume pots for 500k audio. By that time, I’d already changed the pickups to Antiquities. Really opened up the sound for the better.

I’m occasionally tempted to switch back to the 59 Tributes, just for fun. But then I remember how bright the 59 Tributes were and wonder if the 500k volume pots would brighten them up too much. The overall tone really is a sum of many parts.

AJK1

Reaction score
59 Tributes - Potted
Antiquities -Unpotted
Tributes get good reviews so I’m not sure why you’d want to replace them
I owned a set of Antiquities and liked them a lot but found the bridge pickup a little weak
I use a Seth Lover bridge now in that LP and it’s much better

RocketKing

Reaction score
I was wondering about Seth lovers myself for my es 339, I wonder how that would turn out:hmm:
I don't want to hijack the thread OP, just thinking out loud on a related issue :D

jbash

Reaction score
If you want to try some 59Ttributes- find a set of the 61 Zebras. Same pickups but with A5 mags. I bought a set for cheap for my 2014 Classic. Swapped mags- sound was pretty much identical. I ended up trading them for some 57 classics because the guitar needed more lows/low mids- but that's probably an easier and cheaper way to get a set of 59Ts. And the 59T/61Z were just BBs with the screw/slug coils reversed.

Unsure if the new 61 BB are the same pickup or not.

Latest Threads