Seymour Duncan 805, best TS ever...?

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I admit, I do own a plethora of dirt boxes, all sorts from vintage to reissues, from standard production to boutique, and among them I’ve had an original ‘83 Ibanez 808, obviously an industry standard, a great pedal which for years I used regularly on sessions and live work, and also a “limited edition” one which I got rid of pretty quickly as... I just didn’t like it (it should’ve been the best, right...?) but recently I purchased this “Tube Screamer spin off” Seymour Duncan 805 which in all honesty I think blows ‘em all away, no question asked.
Of course the extra active Bass - Mid - Treble gives it an edge over the standard 3 knobs one, but even with the tone controls at noon, where they basically give the pedal a flat EQ, experimenting with just the “Volume” and “Drive” the tones it yields are among the best in its class, very percussive, creamy and always with a “clean” edge even with the “Drive” maxed, which makes my playing very articulate, definitely not a pedal I can hide behind but it makes me play better...
Does anyone else here use one of these regularly?
473AD08F-3CCE-4DC1-A28F-E3F5DFE95F5B.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Hogie34

Reaction score
I have an early run version ( Slightly different Shade of blue/green). I’ve had mine for about 5-6 years now. Definitely a top notch boost. For me, it’s a toss up between this and the Friedman Golden Pearl. The GP is way more transparent but damn if the 805 isn’t way more versatile.
If you want to try an insane pedal by Seymour Duncan, give the Catalina Chorus a drive. I got rid of all my other chorus pedals after plugging that one in.

CrazedFandango

Reaction score
I have one but not convinced about it. When I do use it, I have the mids very low, which gives it a more transparent sound.

Gclef

Reaction score
I have a ts9, a digitech df7 that models a ts9 but with 3 band eq, and a bogner blue that all can do the tubescreamer thing.

The ts9 sounded the worst of the bunch.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I have a ts9, a digitech df7 that models a ts9 but with 3 band eq, and a bogner blue that all can do the tubescreamer thing.

The ts9 sounded the worst of the bunch.
I found that Tube Screamers are all very different: my ‘82 808 was absolutely fantastic, the mid-hump was “just right” and put a smile to my face every time I stepped on it(!) while both a TS9 and a Special Edition one I had sounded very boxy, then again I know that Gary Moore swore by a TS10, which he found to be throaty & very open sounding, very much like my 808, so it’s safe to say that even though we’re told that they’re all equal some are indeed more equal than others!
Personally, I found the Overdrive section of any Fulltone FullDrive also to be among the very best TS-type.

Latest Threads