Seymour Duncan 59 and Custom 5

Chief67

Reaction score
I would like your thoughts on the Seymour Duncan 59 and Custom 5 set.
I have a set of SD 59's on my Epi LP and I think they sound great,but I have a SD Custom 5 sitting in my tool box.I seen a couple of videos on youtube on these pickups but they really don't show the real tone of the 2 PUs together.
I've read that the C5 is a "slightly hotter" 59 is this true?
I looked online for any info but it just ends up going to the Seymour Duncan site.
I know it's really up to me,but I just want to know your on thoughts of the SD 59 paired with the SD C5.
Also if I would change the magnet on the C5 from the alnico 5 to a alnico 2 what would that change?(sorry it's just another question I had)

PINKBITS

Reaction score
I used this combo for some time in my 01 Standard. If you like the 59 you will like the Custom 5.

Excellent combo for a variety of styles. The Custom 5 is hot but worked great with volume roll off.

Putting an A2 magnet in will give you the Sh-11 custom, custom to my knowledge.

I have not used one of these.

EEF13

Reaction score
Don't they call it a '59 on steroids? You can't go wrong with that pickup. If you don't like it you could always change the magnet. The Custom line is Duncan's most popular pickup swapping pickups.

Reaction score
Don't they call it a '59 on steroids? You can't go wrong with that pickup. If you don't like it you could always change the magnet. The Custom line is Duncan's most popular pickup swapping pickups.

Actually, that's the description given to the original Custom, from the Duncan site...
Duncan Custom™ SH-5 and TB-5

* "P.A.F. on steroids" tone. Used for classic rock, heavy rock, funk, punk, R&B, metal and drop-tunings.
I'm pretty sure that ad copy predates the Custom 5 by more than a few years, if I recall correctly. However, I agree with you Eef, it's really a more apt description for the Custom 5 since it's release.

Chief, The Custom 5 and the '59 do sound very similar. I've used both of these pickups in the bridge position in the same guitar, and I liked them both. The Custom 5 is wound hotter, and the bass is a little more prounounced to my ears, but turn the Custom 5 down to about 7 or 8 on your guitar and it's a pretty close match to a '59. It's nice to have that extra oomph with the Custom 5, tho. If you like the '59 in the bridge, Eef is right, you can't go wrong with it.

Changing the magnet to an A2 will make the Custom 5 into a Custom Custom SH-11. Of the 3 production Customs, I like this one the least. WAY too much midrange and an EXTREMELY flubby bass response for my taste. Lots of guys like them tho, just not me.

Truth be told, tho, I like the original Custom the best.

Chief67

Reaction score
Thanks I'll give the Custom 5 a try.
Thanks again and take care

Chief67

Reaction score
Well I tried the SD Custom 5 and I liked it,but it seemed to be a missing something. I guess I got spoiled with the '59 but after hearing the C5 I started to think how could I make the '59 just a bit hotter but not as hot as the C5.
Anyone?

Big John

my cat, my bitch
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
...make the '59 just a bit hotter but not as hot as the C5.
Anyone?
442_01.jpg

Chief67

Reaction score
Cool thanks Big John.
What about as far as magnets?
Sorry I know this has been asked a million times....Will changing the magnet help?

Reaction score
I have heard good things about putting an Alnico 8 magnet into a '59. Go the the Seymour Duncan Forum. There a lot of Duncan experts there. Both Captain Tightpants and I are there.

Seymour Duncan User Group Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Lots of those guys swear by a Custom with an A8 as well. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

If you still have the Custom 5 in your guitar, try putting a small ceramic magnet in it, that makes it a Custom. I know exactly what you mean about the Custom 5 ''missing something". The Custom HAS that missing ''it'' to my ears. The Custom is the most dynamic of all the Custom-variants I've tried, by far my favorite.

Chief67

Reaction score
Thanks EEF13 and Captain tightpants. I'll check the SD forum.

oilpit

Reaction score
Well I tried the SD Custom 5 and I liked it,but it seemed to be a missing something.Anyone?

That thing is midrange...

The C5 is probably the most scooped pickup I've ever played...try an original Custom, MUCH better

Chief67

Reaction score
Thanks oilpit I'll check into the original custom.

Reaction score
That thing is midrange...

The C5 is probably the most scooped pickup I've ever played...try an original Custom, MUCH better

Thanks oilpit I'll check into the original custom.

:hmm:Didn't i already say that?:laugh2::laugh2:

If you still have the Custom 5 in your guitar, try putting a small ceramic magnet in it, that makes it a Custom. I know exactly what you mean about the Custom 5 ''missing something". The Custom HAS that missing ''it'' to my ears. The Custom is the most dynamic of all the Custom-variants I've tried, by far my favorite.

Chief67

Reaction score
I'm going to try to order the ceramic magnet as soon as I can.
Thanks to everyone for all you help.

Armitage

Reaction score
Isn't the Duncan Custom 5 pretty much the same as a Gibson 498T?

I've got one kicking around here, I should pop it in something...

Latest Threads