seymour ducan saturday night specials?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by sevignyjoe, Dec 8, 2017 at 2:02 AM.

1. sevignyjoe

sevignyjoe Junior Member

just wondering ? thinking of dropping a pair in my epi les paul custom. looking for some bluesy gritty sounding pick ups. thoughts or recomendation appreciated.

2. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I bought a set a few weeks ago to put in my new Trad Pro IV LP.

They are ballsy sounding... ballsier than a typical PAF type pickup, but not as aggressive as say, a high output pickup like a Super Distortion. I really like(d) the way the bridge did power chords and played rock. I say, “like(d)” because I ended up trading them to a buddy of mine for a set of Mojotone 59 Clone PAFs he had, which just matched better to this particular guitar’s personality. The SNS bridge, while great at low end chording, was a bit brittle on the high end... BUT... I think that may be more to blame on my Trad Pro IV... as I also experienced that on a couple other bridge pickups I tried in it. The Mojotones seemed to cure that with my guitar and have a stellar bluesy tone to them, IMO.

That said, my buddy put the SNSs into his Epi LP Standard Plus Top Pro (which tends to be a bit of a darker guitar) and he absolutely loves them! No brittleness at all (so it may well just depend on the guitar in question).

The SNS neck though is a charmer for sure... perhaps a bit brighter than your average neck pup, it really has a nice clarity and presence (so many neck pups are just dark and muddy... this one is especially good, IMO).

Tone (and expectations) are subjective of course, but I don’t know if I’d necessarily associate the SNSs with “gritty blues” type tone. Were I after that I’d probably lean more toward a PAF type pickup like the aforementinoed Mojotone 59 Clones. If you want to stick with Duncans, maybe some Pearly Gates. Or some Bare Knuckle Mules if you’re wanting to try something more authentic PAF-like (get them unpotted... don’t worry about microphonics... I have a set of Mules I run with lots of gain and they are not microphonic at all, but have a great “openness” to them that is unmatched by any potted pickup I’ve ever used). The Mules would be great for “gritty blues” IMO. They have a great “texture” to them that adds a natural grit... love mine. Best pickups I’ve found to date, in fact. Not cheap with the unfavorable exchange rate between the US & UK right now, but worth it. :)

IMO/IME/YMMV/WAFH :cheers:

Hope this helps.

3. DB Chuckster

DB Chuckster Member

Got the 59 clones a few weeks ago and I really like them. A lot.

1all's Pub likes this.
  4. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

to the OP:

I can back up several parts of this. The SNS bridge can be a little brittle on the highs. The SNS neck is one of the better production neck pups from the Duncan company, considering many of their neck offerings for "classic" or "vintage" are, as 1all's would say, dark and muddy (in my opinion). but yeah, I think there might be better bluesy gritty options.

a yes on the BKP Mules, which are pretty darned versatile to the point to where I was surprised. BKPs have been hit and miss for me, but the Mule set ending up working out very well. they are pricey and I think that too many people validate the cost when they get caught up in the hype surrounding the brand. honestly, I think they are good pups, but not worth the inflated hype that I see. personally, I'd wait for a good deal on them if I felt I just had to have them.

the Mojotone 59 Clone set is solid. and comes stock with A4 mags. and if you want a little more juice, there is a Hot 59 Clone bridge. incidentally, I ordered a set of Mojotone Classic humbuckers with A4 mags and the bridge Classic is like a product-improved SNS bridge... except I had them before the SNS came out.

have you looked at some of the options from Brandonwound, Manlius, Wolfetone, and Re-Wind.

5. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Thought I'd just tag him out of courtesy as his thread got moved here: @sevignyjoe

6. sevignyjoe

sevignyjoe Junior Member

yea guys thanks for tagging me . so i am going after a billy gibbons, skynard type ton if that helps

mmd likes this.
  7. skelt101

skelt101 Senior Member

If you're looking at Seymour Duncan pickups, I believe the Pearly Gates are supposed to fit that description.

8. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Based on this, I would reiterate my above recommendations for the Bareknuckle Mules and/or the Mojotone 59 Clones.