Setting up the ABR-1

tag2

Reaction score
Rather than hijack the other thread, I thought I would start a new one.

On my vintage LPs, in order to get the guitar intonation correct, I have tried flipping the G, B and E saddles around so the flat is facing the stop tail. Then the saddles need to be all the way to the rear to intonate. The problem with this is the saddles tilt slightly and the screw heads raise out of their seat and cause a buzz from getting too close to the string. Typically, it seems the saddle flats are rear facing for the EAD strings and forward for the GBE strings, but I don't know how folks are getting proper intonation that way. Here are my options as I see it.

1. Live with the slight intonation issue, which is way better than buzzing. This is what I am doing now, but it does bug me when playing further up the neck.

2. Get a wired ABR or make my own wire wrap.

3. Flip the entire bridge around so the screw heads are facing the tail piece.

Any thoughts and have you noticed this same issue on vintage LPs with ABR-1?

mbowen

Premium Member
Reaction score
When i take an old LP{or other Gibson} out live i use part of an old High E string to wrap around the screw heads on the ABR1.I did it more in case i break a string and then the whole saddle falls out and you are crawling around some dark stage trying to find it.I do not know if it would help you but it works great to keep the saddles from moving around too much.Just wrap it around the screwheads and tighten it at the bottom wrap with pliers,it works just like a wire ABR 1 but not as in your face . Might be worth a try i know a bunch of guys who do this. Mike B.

tag2

Reaction score
Thanks Mike! I will give that a try.

58burst

Reaction score
I use clear nail polish on my vintage abr-1's. Glues the saddles in place, no rattle or misalignment, perfect intonation, better tone since the saddles vibrate as one with the bridge body. Easily breaks loose to reintonate, all the nail polish flakes off, no damage or residue.

tag2

Reaction score
Have you found it necessary to flip the saddles on the GBE strings with the flats to the rear and the saddles positioned to the rear?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Before moding anything, please check that your bridge posts are not bent, nor the bridge itself. String tension has a tendency to do both, especially tilting the bridge forward by bending the posts.

58burst

Reaction score
On my burst I have the g & low e reversed, and they're not all the way back. Intonates spot on-

Jimmi

Reaction score
You have to reverse some of the saddles. Only way to get them to intonate.

Lousyatit

Reaction score
I flip the bridge around so that the screws face the stop bar.

Luke Gibson

Reaction score
I use clear nail polish on my vintage abr-1's. Glues the saddles in place, no rattle or misalignment, perfect intonation, better tone since the saddles vibrate as one with the bridge body. Easily breaks loose to reintonate, all the nail polish flakes off, no damage or residue.
I use Clear nail polish here too.

KenG

Reaction score
Sometimes the saddles screws themselves get bent. I had this on my R7 and had to replace a few.

Latest Threads