Setting Intonation

Paully

Reaction score
I've got an €pi Les Paul Special 1 p90's, with the wrap over bridge.
I have found an Allen wrench that almost fits the set screw on the bridge/saddle. The one that came with the guitar is too small. I got the bridge closer to the nut, but she still rings sharp.
Advice?
Tks,
Paully

Ambrola

Reaction score
What rings sharp? All of the strings? I have never heard of that. One string normally goes sharp or flat. You can set it at the 12th fret. Play it open and then again at the 12th. The 12th fret is half way from bridge and nut. This will help you.

Last edited:

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What rings sharp? All of the strings? I have never heard of that. One string normally goes sharp or flat. You can set it at the 13th fret. Play it open and then again at the 13th. The 13th fret is half way from bridge and nut. This will help you.
12th fret, not 13th.

Ambrola

Reaction score
Opps, my mistake. I edited it to make it correct. But that is a good video by one of the best guitarist ever.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Of course a strobe is the best way to set intonation, but the harmonic at the 12th trick works well if you remember not to fret the note too hard. Play the 12th fret harmonic and then play the same string fretted at the 12th. You can usually get pretty close by ear. You will end up setting it slightly sharp if you squeeze too much. A fretted instrument will never have 100% perfect intonation anyway, so as long as its reasonably close you will sound just fine

irocdave12

Reaction score
What rings sharp? All of the strings? I have never heard of that. One string normally goes sharp or flat. You can set it at the 12th fret. Play it open and then again at the 12th. The 12th fret is half way from bridge and nut. This will help you.
Jeebus now we know why Joe never starts a show on time.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I've never seen that ... Joe rocks! :)

Ambrola

Reaction score
:jam:Walsh has always rocked. He be my hero.:acoustic:

rednefceleb

Premium Member
Reaction score
:) :) J. Page played a Danelctro DC-59er 6 string <kind of an oldie> and fitted it with a Schaller 6 string adjustable bridge. It was a solid fit that solved his intonation problems well enough to render his guitar fully adjustable. I had one of those Schaller adjustables on an old L.P. Special & it worked like a charm! They don't fit on <every application perfectly> but took care of my woes. Good old Schaller! Quality stuff. :) :)

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I've got an €pi Les Paul Special 1 p90's, with the wrap over bridge.
I have found an Allen wrench that almost fits the set screw on the bridge/saddle. The one that came with the guitar is too small. I got the bridge closer to the nut, but she still rings sharp.
Advice?
Tks,
Paully
A quick thought about your allen wrench.
If it 'almost' fits. You probably need a metric wrench instead of a standard one. (or is it the other way around ?)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Metric.

Harbor Freight has dual sets dirt cheap...

Paully

Reaction score
I've got more "Allen" wrenches than I know what to do with.
Imperial and Metric both.
Thanks for advice.

Ambrola

Reaction score
Metrics sucks! Why can't all tools be in inches?