Sets out to time correct Neil Peart...

redking

Reaction score
...discovers his software is off by just a hair.

I was just about to say the same thing to your title - nobody was more bang on time than Neil. A slightly more contemporary comparable might be Matt Cameron from Soundgarden.

Last edited:

Gfunk_Minor

Reaction score
Like Joe Bonamassa said....

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"....

Maybe if this idiot had a "JOB" he wouldn't be painting moustaches on the Mona Lisa.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
The guys a douche for even trying.

It's like someone picking a random Beatles song,
and criticizing how it's been written.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks that this entire exercise could not have been a more galactically useless waste of time. Something like this makes the pickguard dilemma seem like an intellectual exercise.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Neil was never off.
Agreed.
And it was no great secret that he used a click track both live and in the studio. Mostly to be on time with midi trigger events that occurred throughout their set, whether triggered by Neil himself or offstage.

redking

Reaction score
I don't think he is saying you "should" time correct the track. I think his whole premise is - "wow, Rush are an amazing band and even using this technology, you can't make Neil's drumming more precise." Just like the last one he did that got people all worked up - his premise is that it sounds terrible when it is "time corrected."

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being slightly off beat is what made Bonham so great. Now they're picking on Peart. The music is great because of their playing.....fuck technology. A shit ton of new "musicians" use fake everything.....fuck them. :)

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I like Beato’s take on studio timing. He said a click basically kills any feel a song might have. Bonzo was all over the place but the songs felt great.
It depends on what kind of music you’re talking about, but mostly, I don’t listen to stuff that can’t be off by a few 0.001’s.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
All that said, after the guy realized his mistake, he posted it knowing it would get views and comments.
I haven’t watched it yet (to avoid irritating my wife) but I read enough of what y’all said to suss the gist.
This sounds deliberate.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why can’t shit just be left alone?

it’s perfect the way it is, so is every other some that most folks have recorded. The scrappy timing on some tunes just makes it human and brilliant!

I need to go back to tape now I’ll get off your damn lawn

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's better than a Reaction video.

"Guy reacts to Rush drumming!!"

..but it's still all shit, like 90% of the stuff on youtube.

Content for the sake of content. He has his Dr Gimmick and he needs to make videos about 'something' to sell his 'brand' so he can 'be an influencer'.

It's the (Corporatized) way of the internet these days.

All the sites look the same. All the shit is the same.

slug_maine

Reaction score
it's better than a Reaction video.

"Guy reacts to Rush drumming!!"

..but it's still all shit, like 90% of the stuff on youtube.

Content for the sake of content. He has his Dr Gimmick and he needs to make videos about 'something' to sell his 'brand' so he can 'be an influencer'.

It's the (Corporatized) way of the internet these days.

All the sites look the same. All the shit is the same.
It started out having so much promise, look where it's taken us.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I don't think he is saying you "should" time correct the track. I think his whole premise is - "wow, Rush are an amazing band and even using this technology, you can't make Neil's drumming more precise." Just like the last one he did that got people all worked up - his premise is that it sounds terrible when it is "time corrected."
Bingo!
He did the same with Steve Perry, whose vocals are damn near spot on.