Seth Lovers vs '59s With A 1-Watt Amp?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Here's the result I got with a pickup swap from Duncan 59’s to Seth Lovers. There is a difference on the one watt Blackstar, for sure. Seth's upon a first listen sound like a version of the '59s, but listening again closely, there is noticeable difference between the two. The amp sounds like it can keep up with the Seth's; where the 59’s seemed to require pushing the amp out of head room territory quickly. Seth's are more articulate at lower amp volumes. I attribute that to a higher resonant peak than the '59s.

I spent way too much to get this though. My reasoning behind this turned out in my favor fortunately. I don't think a swap to another pickup or back to what I had with the '59s is in my future. I proved my "point" to myself. The Seth's are a better choice for low output amps than more powerful pickups. YMMV.

Classicplayer

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never Mind..... Already done! Enjoy!

But I would have tried Short A5's in the 59's first. Or maybe UOA5's. You could have done that yourself too.

Rock on!

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
^ well the jazz and A2pro are the same wind, the 59 is certainly not. But the A2 59 is certainly about as palatable as the 59 gets.

Interesting you would say that, since for my current build I got a '59 for the neck but swapped magnets with the bridge '57, A5 for A2. Although my intent there was just to avoid neck muddiness, since the A5 is kind of "scooped" in the midrange.

I'll report once the thing is completed.

ARandall

Reaction score
The neck position is perhaps best off with an UOA5....a bit more bite and the same type of less intense bass.

Latest Threads