Seth Lovers in a 2010 R8?

rogue3

Reaction score
Just your opinion,if you've done this,on how it sounds, in a modern Historic(2008 and later).

The Seths in question are over 15 years old,still in original box in my parts bin,lol.

I know how seths sound in my 1989 standard.Very nice sound,but different wood than the R8.

I have an option to do this,though i'm not unhappy with the burstbuckers that are in there now.Just curious to try,y'know?

I know,just do it.but before i break solder,if someone has the experience,i would value your input.i'm not in a rush here either so,i'd like to try sometime soon....maybe.

MiniB

Reaction score
They are probably going to be a bit sweeter and less harsh than the Burstbuckers, but it really is a trial and error thing that will depend on your guitar, how you play and your amp.

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
They are probably going to be a bit sweeter and less harsh than the Burstbuckers, but it really is a trial and error thing that ill depend on your guitar, how you play and your amp.
thx mini.that makes sense.

Just break solder. You could have installed them in the time it took to type that out. Don't like them? Switch back.
truer words...thx tim

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a 2009 with BB's, and pulled them out rather quickly, first replaced by a set of Sheptone Blue Sky's, which sounded great, and then later by a set of Wizz PAF's which were even better.

Both were quite a big improvement over the BB's.

And like Tim said, it doesn't take anytime hardly to replace.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
first replaced by a set of Sheptone Blue Sky's, which sounded great,
I really like the set I have as well but they were ousted by a set of Wolfetone Legends. Have them in an SG now and they work there okay, But to the OP the Seths are a great choice unless you are a high gain player. Might do some squealing then

rogue3

Reaction score
I had a 2009 with BB's, and pulled them out rather quickly, first replaced by a set of Sheptone Blue Sky's, which sounded great, and then later by a set of Wizz PAF's which were even better.

Both were quite a big improvement over the BB's.

And like Tim said, it doesn't take anytime hardly to replace.
thx mike.what was it about the seths you didn't like in that 2009?

I really like the set I have as well but they were ousted by a set of Wolfetone Legends. Have them in an SG now and they work there okay, But to the OP the Seths are a great choice unless you are a high gain player. Might do some squealing then
thx dc. burstbuckers 1 and 2 are unpotted?(like seths?).i seldom play high gain,unless i'm with a band.
i see this often.people have seths in...but not for long.Then they replace.maybe just the tone hunt. No one seems to say anything negative about them,however.You hear a lot more naysayers about burstbuckers.

i'm just fishing for opinons guys,as i will try it,when i have time.this is a tone question,but not an urgent hunt...just more like,should i try these in place of burstbuckers,since they are in the bin,unused?
to repeat,i'm not unhappy with the burstbuckers that are in my R8.That axe sounds quite nice already.But could it be even better with Seths i have,which need a home,lol.
(as i search the parts bin,i see 2 new sets of Seths...bought long ago...2003?)...what was i thinking? :hmm:
thx again:yesway:

Last edited:

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
If the Burstbuckers came stock in your guitar then they are potted. The Seth Lovers are fine pickups for not a lot of coin. Personally I like the Pearly Gates the best in the Seymour Duncan pups I have tried. More balls especially in the bridge pup. What got me wanting to try the Seths was playing a 335 that had them.....that sounded soooo good.
If I had some Seths in my parts drawer I would darn sure be trying them out.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
thx mike.what was it about the seths you didn't like in that 2009?

thx dc. burstbuckers 1 and 2 are unpotted?(like seths?).i seldom play high gain,unless i'm with a band.
i see this often.people have seths in...but not for long.Then they replace.maybe just the tone hunt. No one seems to say anything negative about them,however.You hear a lot more naysayers about burstbuckers.

i'm just fishing for opinons guys,as i will try it,when i have time.this is a tone question,but not an urgent hunt...just more like,should i try these in place of burstbuckers,since they are in the bin,unused?
to repeat,i'm not unhappy with the burstbuckers that are in my R8.That axe sounds quite nice already.But could it be even better with Seths i have,which need a home,lol.
(as i search the parts bin,i see 2 new sets of Seths...bought long ago...2003?)...what was i thinking? :hmm:
thx again:yesway:
It had Burst Buckers in from factory. It's not those were bad, but I almost always change out the factory pups.
Then went the sheptones, then Wizz,

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you changed pickups before?

If so, never mind the question, but if not, or very seldom, we can help there too if need be.

If you have a sound you're looking for, or trying to tame a bright guitar, there are winders here that can wind you what you need, and you'll have a custom set.

But really the only way you are going to know how the Seth's sound in your guitar, is to slap em in there!

rogue3

Reaction score
Have you changed pickups before?

If so, never mind the question, but if not, or very seldom, we can help there too if need be.

If you have a sound you're looking for, or trying to tame a bright guitar, there are winders here that can wind you what you need, and you'll have a custom set.

But really the only way you are going to know how the Seth's sound in your guitar, is to slap em in there!
Thx mike.i have.4 other lesters,with nice results.i've also done all my own work on tube amps...safely,lol.But my gear is put away,so,

Latest Threads