Seth Lovers & High Gain Amps?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I installed a Duncan Seth Lover set in my Classic. One of my amps is an Orange Micro Dark which gets plenty of use for practice at home. I've not been able to get a Classic Rock tone; at least to my own satisfaction with this setup. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong!? I lean towards Led Zep tones as far as gain is concerned.....definitely not Metal oriented for sure. I use the Classic and Orange with a PPC112 with a V30.

Should I be able to get fairly close to Classic Rock tones with this setup? I play other styles too and I have little difficulty in accomplishing cleaner tones.

Classicplayer

LtKojak

Reaction score
I don't think that amp's been designed to provide "Classic Rock" Zep style tones.

HTH,

Kris Ford

Reaction score
I had one of those..and it designed with METAL in min d..no ifs, ands or buts..

Lowereing the gain on it ust resulted in lower gain metal IME..

Sounds like the Micro Terror would be what you're looking for for that tone.

lunchbox

Reaction score
The Orange Dark series amps won't do classic rock well. You'd be better off with a TT, Rocker or OR15.

As far as pups, yes, SH55 does high gain hard rock very well. I had a set in my 91 LP Standard through a Laney GH50L and matching 4x12 with Greenbacks. Awesome toan.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
The Orange Dark series amps won't do classic rock well. You'd be better off with a TT, Rocker or OR15.

As far as pups, yes, SH55 does high gain hard rock very well. I had a set in my 91 LP Standard through a Laney GH50L and matching 4x12 with Greenbacks. Awesome toan.

I was contemplating what my answer would be because I was sort of expected these answers. I have found that the MD handles Jazz and quieter forms of music, which is why I plan on keeping it around. Of course it has it's own tone going on and a pleasant change from Marshall and VOX offerings. The Seths in my Les Paul and the stock Strat pickups help reduce the Micro Dark's Metal leanings IMHO. I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences with the MD paired with lower output pickups.

Classicplayer

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I don't have the MD but I do have a Mesa Mark V, which is considered a high-gain amp. With my Gibson Classic 57/57+ (and stock Epi Buckers) I can get a pretty good Page/Led Zep tone. Sure, other amps ARE better at getting that tone, but you wanna work with what cha got.

I think that Jimmy had a pretty varied tone through Led Zep but I was given some advice that helped a lot in trying to dial in his sound on my amp.

Keep the gain low and the tone clear. You don't need Page tone, you really need Page attitude. His studio tone was just a 1x12 amp, turned up, with volume knob set to edge of breakup. From there adjust the guitars volume/tone.

Not really that exact or specific, but I find this a really good "ground zero" to start from and you can get some good classic rock tone out of a high-gain amp. Oh . . . and you will need some reverb as well.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I don't have the MD but I do have a Mesa Mark V, which is considered a high-gain amp. With my Gibson Classic 57/57+ (and stock Epi Buckers) I can get a pretty good Page/Led Zep tone. Sure, other amps ARE better at getting that tone, but you wanna work with what cha got.

I think that Jimmy had a pretty varied tone through Led Zep but I was given some advice that helped a lot in trying to dial in his sound on my amp.

Keep the gain low and the tone clear. You don't need Page tone, you really need Page attitude. His studio tone was just a 1x12 amp, turned up, with volume knob set to edge of breakup. From there adjust the guitars volume/tone.

Not really that exact or specific, but I find this a really good "ground zero" to start from and you can get some good classic rock tone out of a high-gain amp. Oh . . . and you will need some reverb as well.

Thanks! Yes, I figured some of this out with the Micro Dark going into my V30. I don't expect to cop Page's tone (no one can exactly), but he did use less gain than most players realize. I've found an acceptable formula with the MD and my Les Paul and Seth Lovers, thanks.
The MD can do almost a Fender clean, but it's the Orange version of "clean". In listening to Page at the Zep 2007 London show, he uses his Orange AD30s and still gets his identifiable tone and attitude. He would with most amps; is my guess.

Classicplayer

Latest Threads