Seriously? The left thumb????

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been having serious issues with my left thumb over the last couple months. A lot of pain and restricted movement. I hate to say it but I have to play with my thumb over the top of the neck at times. Feels VERY strange. Anyone else ever had to make this switch?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
About 35 years ago, much to the chagrin of my instructor.

Chango Malo

Reaction score
try a clapton sig strat neck for giggles. It's a nice soft V and a skoosh narrower than standard widths. I'm not a thumb-over guy at all when playing guitar but with my main band I'm covering mandolin, irish bouzouki, acoustic guitar, and electric guitar. If I bring a jazzmaster it's strictly thumb on the back of the neck with nice round fingers. Sometimes for a change of pace I'll bring my uber-modded EC strat and I find that with the slightly narrower soft V neck I end up playing with more of a mandolin/fiddle left hand position: thumb up alongside the edge of the neck with the v of the back of the neck deeper between my thumb and index finger. Maybe a different neck shape will accomodate your changing hands better?

Sucks gettin' old...

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Clapton Strat. It's the same on every guitar. Doctor says to stop abusing it playing all the time.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh well, no one is going to see me with my thumb over the neck and think it's odd. Definitely slower that way.

parts

Reaction score
Currently recovering from breaking thumb ,index, middle finger and whatever flexors are, all on left hand
Had operation on right couple years ago.. This is reinjuring left I broke years ago falling of a 5ft riser.
Had to finish a tour..t weeks of faking.
Hurts..but trying to start playing again
.really miss it

S. Rock

Reaction score
Oh well, no one is going to see me with my thumb over the neck and think it's odd. Definitely slower that way.

look at it this way, you're in very good company. Merle Travis played that way.

dave b

Reaction score
If you had developed bad habits early, like most of us, this wouldn't be a problem right now.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
Blackmore does it all the time. Be like Blackmore.

ritchie-blackmore.jpg

DarthPaul

Reaction score
My father was a violinist.
He damaged his left hand over time through different kinds of work. When he was in his 50s, he ended up having a final operation that resulted in his thumb being fused.
He actually brought his fiddle in to the Dr so they could "set" it in a playing position. He played with that for the rest of his life. He never bothered with his right hand because it was for the bow, and it wasn't in as bad of shape.

I gave up a job polishing granite because the vibrations/water/cold was destroying my hands. I ended up running the yard and warehouse instead (although that was straight-up deadly). It came down to work or the guitar. The owner was cool and understood that I was s guitarist, so I lucked out. I know I'll never be 100% after that job though.

I hope things get better for you!

judson

Reaction score
I have a Clapton Strat. It's the same on every guitar. Doctor says to stop abusing it playing all the time.

find a new doctor....

playing thumb over for years...

my left hand index top knuckle is sore as hell, looks like a sausage...i just keep playing, hell with it, it will heal when im dead

all kidding aside, with thumb over, at certain points your hand is streached wide open as opposed to being in one position with thumb behind for long periods putting pressure on it and fingers across...my opinion

...look at Blackmore pic....i rest my case your honor

Last edited:

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had developed bad habits early, like most of us, this wouldn't be a problem right now.

The really scary thing about this reply is that it's true.

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
I have been having serious issues with my left thumb over the last couple months. A lot of pain and restricted movement. I hate to say it but I have to play with my thumb over the top of the neck at times. Feels VERY strange. Anyone else ever had to make this switch?

Looks like you'll have to use your other hand to jerkoff with now. ;)

Latest Threads