Serial Number Stamps...Anyone Want One ($$$)?

bobgourami

Reaction score
I've been working on serial fonts for a guitar I'm restoring.

The numbers created here are looking really good, although it seems to me that the 7 is particularly problematic.... I think maybe the hump on the top should be more pronounced and the lower line straighter???

Here's a pic of my 57 special for comparison:

bobgourami
[/URL][/IMG]

MRJ5

Reaction score
We should keep in mind that 0 7XXX is a pretty high number.

When did they change the stamp? How much stamps die they use?

The first digit did not change the whole year and is used every day.

for up to 10.000 stamped numbers. x 0000 - x 9999

first digit 10.000 times
second-fifth digit 1000 times or 9000 in 9 years (52-60)
----------------------------------
But, with less than 10.000 pieces/year the higher numbers from the second digit were less used and could be different in the end.

Could this cause the different "7"s ? a difference from 2000 against 10.000 uses seems possible in 1960.

Just thinking out loud here.... Does anyone know how many stamps were used on the line when stamping finished guitars back in the day?

I have seen the pictures for modern guitars. There are several arbor press setups waiting to provide the impression for the SN waiting.

Did they order "X" amount of stamps from "Acme Rubber Stamp Company" so all of them came from the same run? Did they use a particular font of the day called something like "ACME STAMP #9 CONDENSED SERIF" so when they needed more stamps, Acme Stamp Company knew what they wanted? Or did they run to Woolworth's and grab a handful from the shelf and use them until they were worn out (or stolen :naughty:) then go back and grab more at a later date?

I have been taking a different approach searching many different named fonts and haven't seen a set that matches yet. I have found a similar 6 or 8 in one set and a 1 or 3 in another but none with a whole matching set.

I even noticed on one of the font search forums someone asked for an ID from the font "experts" by providing a 1958 headstock serial number. None was given last I looked. It seems letter fonts are fairly simple for the font doctors to identify but the numerals seem to be elusive.

It is kind like solving a Rubik's Cube. One of these turns all the colors will all be lined up.....but then again, I was never able to solve the Rubik's Cube either.:hmm:

voices

Reaction score
I even noticed on one of the font search forums someone asked for an ID from the font "experts" by providing a 1958 headstock serial number. None was given last I looked.

that was me:thumb:

mapleflame

Reaction score
I would imagine they may have had stamps for Yellow numbers, one's for the black and then one's for the inside of hollowbodies. The label Stamp one's would look different due to them being on a flat surface. The headstock stamps would really have to be held tight as not to move.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been working on serial fonts for a guitar I'm restoring.

The numbers created here are looking really good, although it seems to me that the 7 is particularly problematic.... I think maybe the hump on the top should be more pronounced and the lower line straighter???

Here's a pic of my 57 special for comparison:

bobgourami
[/URL][/IMG]

Excellent photo and observation, Bob! In my latest draft, I've incorporated your suggestions. I've put more of a hump on the top, and have straightened out the lower line a little, but not completely. I've seen great variability in this lower line having looked at a lot of stampings and headstock serial numbers...some pretty much completely straight, and some with a definite hump. I tried to compromise.

I would imagine they may have had stamps for Yellow numbers, one's for the black and then one's for the inside of hollowbodies. The label Stamp one's would look different due to them being on a flat surface. The headstock stamps would really have to be held tight as not to move.

I would bet you're probably right, Steve...good thought. I don't imagine they'd want to thoroughly clean the stamp(s) off every time they change color. And as far as MRJ's question is concerned, I have no idea how many stamps they may have had total, and where they got them from.

Frank

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Last Call For Font/Number Input!!!

I've been working night and day on these numbers and have reached a point where I've run out of tweaks! So, unless any of you see anything in any of these numbers that I should look to address, I plan to proceed with what I have and send it out to have a test/prototype stamp made up. Keep in mind, though, that once I receive the stamp, I'll (we'll) be able to further evaluate how the stamped numbers appear and make further adjustments, if needed.

Gibson_SN_Font_Final_Final_23_Actual_Size.jpg

And thanks again for all your help!!! This has been a great collaborative effort!

Frank

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a suggestion. Have you thought of going for a more modern style - you know, to bring the number stamps more up-to-date?

Actually, I've been looking for some suggestions and have run out. The only thing I could suggest is using a ratio of height to width from Danelectro's measurements to check that the height v width is the same.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a suggestion. Have you thought of going for a more modern style - you know, to bring the number stamps more up-to-date?

:laugh2::lol::applause:

Actually, I've been looking for some suggestions and have run out. The only thing I could suggest is using a ratio of height to width from Danelectro's measurements to check that the height v width is the same.

Excellent point! I'll do that!

Frank

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Could the belly of the stem of the 7 do with thickening up a bit on the left hand side? Like the last 7 in Danelectro's 7 5077 ?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Could the belly of the stem of the 7 do with thickening up a bit on the left hand side? Like the last 7 in Danelectro's 7 5077 ?

Does this one look pregnant enough?

Gibson_SN_Font_Final_Final_24_Actual_Size.jpg

Frank

doubletriode

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Is it me or the top loop of the 8 seems a little bit smaller than the bottom one on Danelectro's headstock examples?
To me, it looks less symmetrical than pinefd's, maybe not 2/3-1/3 but something like 6/10-4/10...
But not all of the 8 in Danelectro's examples look the same.
Yes, it's a moving target...

Sgt.Pepper

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Is it me or the top loop of the 8 seems a little bit smaller than the bottom one on Danelectro's headstock examples?
To me, it looks less symmetrical than pinefd's, maybe not 2/3-1/3 but something like 6/10-4/10...
But not all of the 8 in Danelectro's examples look the same.
Yes, it's a moving target...

Looks to me that in some of them, the thick middle part is a bit thicker on top making the top loop smaller. It's so hard to tell what is the original stamp and what is ink squeeze out.

Irimia

Reaction score
This is my first post here, so hello everybody!

Look what I found yesterday in an old box at my office's basement.

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Each number is 4,75 mm tall (approx), which I think is the correct size.

What do you think? looks quite similar to the original one, right?

But this is not a rubber stamp, it's all metal.

duff

Reaction score
Very close. 3 is different tough. And i guess they used metal stamps, as that's what they are using now. The ink squeezes out using a metal stamp on wood, like your example.

landsharkey

Reaction score
3 is different though.
Compared
IMG_1555.jpg

to Danelectro's images?
SerialNumbers.jpg

Irimia - can you overlay your stamp on some of these images to see examples of all the digits (0-9). These numbering machines do give you the varying shift in the Y direction (which varies with digit and position?).

Fletch

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think Frank is going to have some news soon on this... :thumb:

fletch

Latest Threads