Serial number dating, really?

Eric Duane

Reaction score
I was recently in Memphis checking out a few guitars. Came up on a beautiful cherry top 58 reissue. Great price and man did the thing play great. Sounded sweet and was definitely up in par with my 07 R9. I asked the sales rep what year and he said he didn't know. I proceeded to look at the serial number to date it to which he said, " you can't date custom shops by the number". The number began with 8 space 4 numbers beginning with 7. I then told him I believe it was an 07 and if it has the lifton brownie it probably was. Am I wrong? From everything I've read here for a long time before joining I thought that was exactly how I needed to date it. Further more if I'm right, why would a big guitar chain employee anyone who couldn't determine things about high end guitars if they are suppose to be selling them. I am confused and a little surprised.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's wrong....They don't even care. "Just buy it so I can get my commission"

Gibson reps have been wrong about stuff, and in Guitar Center.

tspoon5150

Reaction score
If you have the warranty card, it will tell you what date it went out.

Eric Duane

Reaction score
Thanks guys. And I was just asking dude the year. I'm never a stickler for the exact date just the year. And that is what I wanted to know. I didn't know u could exact date USA models by serial number, that's cool. Bit I am surprised that a GC sales rep of high end guitars didnt know. But I guess you don't even have to play them to sell them.

Progrocker111

Reaction score
I just bought 2011 R8 and want to know, why some have space after first number like for example 8 1299 and other have all numbers placed without spaces. Is it indicating something?

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
the space is reserved for higher prduction #'s. When it reaches 999 there will be and extra digit added. So For Example what will be the next number for an R9 that is built in 2009 (9 9999) ????

Latest Threads