Senjutsu

LP121

Reaction score
Sounds to me like Bruce is struggling. Not faulting him for that, he is 63, but I can hear it in his voice.

Zungle

Reaction score
Sounds to me like Bruce is struggling. Not faulting him for that, he is 63, but I can hear it in his voice.
Yep.....as does the entire production/mix.

At least the few tracks I've really listened too....

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I downloaded it and listened to it on a flight last night and I thought that it's pretty good, guitar solos feel forced in some spots but damn they're kicking ass for their age

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could come up with and record 140+ original songs of that standard, style and complexity over a lifetime. It's a hell of a body of work.

The new album isn't my favourite, but it still has a quality level that (IMHO) many stadium bands would kill for. The fact that they still want to produce and tour new material is inspiring - at least to me.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Been listening to the album all weekend.
Its full of great songs.
Many of these have a guitar playing the lyrics while the singer sings. I can't make up my mind about that. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.
Also, the songs all sound very weary and tired. I'm not saying thats bad, but it looks like Maiden are hinting that their time has come, as in the musical world doesn't appreciate them as they once did.
They've been using that approach for a few albums now. My theory is that the guitarists bring to the studio riffs and melodies they've come up with, and Bruce writes lyrics that will fit over them. It's also a way to bolster his vocal performance; they use synth for the same purpose over almost the entire album. I think between age and overcoming throat cancer he just doesn't have that "air raid siren" anymore, so they've come up with these little tricks. Kevin Shirley also buries him a little deeper in the mix than he used to, which I don't always like but it's understandable.

I agree with your take on the theme. It's darker and more brooding than usual, very heavy and world weary. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is their final studio album. What a way to go out, though - overall it's a fantastic final statement.

Last edited:

questionman

Reaction score
Just finally listening to this, on Days of Future Past currently, its an interesting approach to starting an album, really into it but its also really building up the 10+ minute songs that are to come...

Kezia

Reaction score
Listened to a few tracks today, I can tell this might take over A Matter of Life and Death as my favorite reunion album (is it still a reunion after Adrian and Bruce have been back for 20 years)

Skeletor

Reaction score
Does the LP set come with a download code?
Mine should be delivered tomorrow and I'd like a digital copy as well

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Love, love, LOVE this album. It's been in near-constant rotation for the last five days, and I've worked out most of the main riffs from the side two epics on my Strat. Not a bad song in the bunch. A lot of the issues others are having with it (production/mix, heavy use of synths, riffs or melodies that sound too similar to those in past songs) aren't bothering me. I love that it's so dark and heavy. The prog complexity and epic sweep is also pretty goddamn fantastic IMO.

Definitely my favorite IM album post-Brave New World, and when the smoke clears I imagine it'll be right up there among their all-time catalog as well. Pretty tough to compare something like the title track, The Parchment or Hell on Earth to Invaders or Gangland.

questionman

Reaction score
Love, love, LOVE this album. It's been in near-constant rotation for the last five days, and I've worked out most of the main riffs from the side two epics on my Strat. Not a bad song in the bunch. A lot of the issues others are having with it (production/mix, heavy use of synths, riffs or melodies that sound too similar to those in past songs) aren't bothering me. I love that it's so dark and heavy. The prog complexity and epic sweep is also pretty goddamn fantastic IMO.

Definitely my favorite IM album post-Brave New World, and when the smoke clears I imagine it'll be right up there among their all-time catalog as well. Pretty tough to compare something like the title track, The Parchment or Hell on Earth to Invaders or Gangland.
I agree. Gave it 2 more straight listens at work today and its really growing on me. Like you said there is not a bad song each one leaves me wanting more, which is impressive after how Book of Souls had some repetition in its songs (Red and the Black?). I love they went back to their prog sound with it, a nice follow up from Matter of Life and Death. Some songs it feels like the tempo dips and drips but a solid album with some amazing drumming along the way.

Latest Threads