Senators to Facebook Co-founder: Don't come back. Ever.

Cloverdale Road

Reaction score
He denies renouncing his citizenship to skip out of paying his taxes. I don't believe him for one second. Has he stated what his reason is? :hmm:

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Singapore has a better healthcare delivery system, oh wait EVERYONE has a better healthcare dellvery system. Ours has gone from worst to even worse.

tampa898

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken. This has to do with the IRS demanding American's file tax claims on income earned while living in another country. For example, there are approx 1 million peps living in Canada with US citizenships, many have been here since they were infants. The IRS demands they file tax returnes in the USA and pay taxes to uncle sam, even though they never earned an American nickel.

Starting in Jan 2013 forign banks no matter where they are going to have to report what American's have invested with them and any profits they are making. Even though they or their money never stepped foot on American soil. Hence the forfiture of citizenship to pay taxes.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
I do not think it is right that a US citizen should pay US Federal income taxes on money made in another courntry. Just like it is not right that California would get state income taxes for a resident who works in another state.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Chuck 'the shmuck' Schumer, the darling of Wall Street and a chief enabler of the financial mess we are in.

How about a bill getting taxes from the multinational corporations who are headquartered here but make money over there and hide taxes that way?

'sChmuck', dahling.:applause:

bertzie

Reaction score
I don't see how he can renounce his citizenship. Finding ways to avoid paying taxes is the most American thing anyone can do anywhere.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't see how he can renounce his citizenship. Finding ways to avoid paying taxes is the most American thing anyone can do anywhere.

Sure he can. Anyone can. You're not forced to be American.

Reaction score

So you think the government has the right to force you to maintain citizenship should use choose to give it up? :slap:

And for the record, the US does not recognize dual citizenship. Which makes it very easy to renounce your US citizenship once you've obtained a foreign one.

bertzie

Reaction score
So you think the government has the right to force you to maintain citizenship should use choose to give it up? :slap:

And for the record, the US does not recognize dual citizenship. Which makes it very easy to renounce your US citizenship once you've obtained a foreign one.

He may give his citizenship up on paper, but the spirit of America will always live on in his wallet.

Reaction score
You can most certainly have dual citizenship as an American citizen.
US State Department Services Dual Nationality

Joey, you've failed to read between the lines.

Everything on that page translates to "we can't tell *insert country here* that you are not a citizen of said country." You'll also notice the bit about what "might" happen if you apply for foreign citizenship? Everything written on that page is intentionally misleading/vague. As the meme goes "It's a trap!"

No where is there any mention of the US government actually recognizing the foreign citizenship of a US citizen, is there? It says that the govt "recognizes that dual nationality exists", not that they recognize your dual citizenship. Tricky lil word play there, yes?

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Seems like so long as you're fulfilling your obligations as an American you can happily have dual citizenship.

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You know what would solve this and a host of other problems? A "You wanna make money in our country, you have to create jobs and economic growth in our country" law.

morrow

Banned
Reaction score
Chuck 'the shmuck' Schumer, the darling of Wall Street and a chief enabler of the financial mess we are in.

How about a bill getting taxes from the multinational corporations who are headquartered here but make money over there and hide taxes that way?
Geo, I thought you'd know better than that. The powers that be keep people arguing about who to tax, which never works as our tax code allows super rich people/companies to side-step the rules. Like this thread the people just keep arguing and arguing, X and Y should be taxed more, not Z. All it comes down to is the middle class, small businesses, medium businesses, and even some large businesses footing the bill since it's not feasable for them to hire lawyers/accountants to jump through all the loopholes.
The key here is re-writing the tax code. That's the only way to solve the problem.
...or get rid of income tax by bring back good taxes, like trade tariffs vs bad (unfair trading) countries.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
You know what would solve this and a host of other problems? A "You wanna make money in our country, you have to create jobs and economic growth in our country" law.

Facebook has about 1200 employees...each one of them pay income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes (either directly or indirectly) and each one of them participates in the economy. Most capitalists either create jobs or help create jobs.

Most people benefit from capitalism.:thumb:

Latest Threads