Selling my Slasher (maybe?)

MGSatch

Reaction score
Considering letting go of my 3rd ever Les Paul (sold the other 2 as well). I liked it a lot at first but it's giving me the same feelings I had with my 2003 Custom and my 2005 Standard.

I love how these things look. I mean they've always been my favourite guitar to look at but every time I pick one up I just feel like I'm not compatible with it or something. After the new guitar day buzz fades I tend to just go back to my other guitar (2004 PRS Custom 24).

I've pretty much just talked myself into selling the thing at this point but I'm hoping for some advice on the best place to sell it. Maybe even some opinions on why I shouldn't sell it.

I don't know, I don't want to regret it I guess. Like I kinda did with the LP Custom.

If I did sell it I'd probably use the money to buy another guitar immediately. Maybe I just like buying guitars. I don't even know at this point.

Attachments

• received_877883266980971.jpeg
    received_877883266980971.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 38

rjwilson37

Reaction score
That is a beautiful guitar, you shouldn't have a hard time selling it. Just sell it on your local Craigslist, so you don't have to pay taxes and fees and such or shipping it and having to insure it. It's coming close to X-Mas, so it is a good time, a lot of people will be looking around for gifts and that is a great gift.

gball

Reaction score
If Les Pauls don't work for you they just don't. Nothing wrong with that, and better to sell it off for something you will actually want to play.

I'm the opposite of you - I tried to love PRS' but just could not gel with the couple I owned.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Back in the day my Les Paul Custom was my number one. During tough times I had to let it and a few other gems go making my SG my number one.

Eventually I got back to a place where I could have another Les Paul so I bought a Custom Classic. I tried for almost 3 years but after playing an SG for 10 years the Les Paul felt bulky and limiting in the upper frets. Very unnatural so I sold it.

This spring I came across an 88 Les Paul Custom Lite. Looks sexy like a Les Paul should, thin body somewhat closer to an SG. Anyway it's been my favorite since March with no signs of that changing.

Maybe give one a try before you give up.
IMG_20220406_171856689.jpg

Screenshot_20220326-014252-797.png

I've had the opportunity to A-B mine against one of the 2013 reissues. Both are nice.

MGSatch

Reaction score
That is a nice looking guitar. I've been considering an SG, never owned one but have tried a few and they feel comfy. Not sure about the neck dive though.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
That is a nice looking guitar. I've been considering an SG, never owned one but have tried a few and they feel comfy. Not sure about the neck dive though.
Neck dive, Schmeck schmive!! Just buy a quality leather strap with the rough back and enjoy a straight up Rock machine with great upper fret access.

IMG_20211227_160042216~2.jpg

The only thing better than an SG is 3.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Sorry / you're welcome.

Pun intended.

I haven't given PRS guitars a fair shot. The handful of the US models I have tried didn't meet the right cost to enjoyment ratio.

However, I've owned about 5 SE Customs including this one I picked up yesterday
Screenshot_20221105-224503-748.png

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, I never gel'd with SG's either, especially since I play sitting down, definite neck dive. Love the Les Paul though and enjoy the lighter ones more for sure. It took me a while to find the one that I love, and now I have 6 that I love. It would be great to thin the heard, but the hard question would be which 3 to sell and which 3 to keep. :Ohno:

Darkscience

Reaction score
In my opinion sell it, you obviously just do not enjoy playing it, and the GAS is better funded by selling something first.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Considering letting go of my 3rd ever Les Paul (sold the other 2 as well). I liked it a lot at first but it's giving me the same feelings I had with my 2003 Custom and my 2005 Standard.

I love how these things look. I mean they've always been my favourite guitar to look at but every time I pick one up I just feel like I'm not compatible with it or something. After the new guitar day buzz fades I tend to just go back to my other guitar (2004 PRS Custom 24).

I've pretty much just talked myself into selling the thing at this point but I'm hoping for some advice on the best place to sell it. Maybe even some opinions on why I shouldn't sell it.

I don't know, I don't want to regret it I guess. Like I kinda did with the LP Custom.

If I did sell it I'd probably use the money to buy another guitar immediately. Maybe I just like buying guitars. I don't even know at this point.
OOC what soured you on the LPs? Knowing that you want to try SGs again, and still have your PRS, I wonder if it's the thickness and/or weight. If it's just the weight, there are 8 lb LPs out there. If it's the bulk, then there are options as well, like the above custom lite, or the Classic Lites. And without the top carve there are LP Specials as well.

Both of mine are thinner, and have belly carves.

LP_SPC5.jpg

DSC03860_sm.jpg

MGSatch

Reaction score
OOC what soured you on the LPs? Knowing that you want to try SGs again, and still have your PRS, I wonder if it's the thickness and/or weight. If it's just the weight, there are 8 lb LPs out there. If it's the bulk, then there are options as well, like the above custom lite, or the Classic Lites. And without the top carve there are LP Specials as well.

Both of mine are thinner, and have belly carves.

View attachment 651112
View attachment 651114
I think it's a combination of the weight and size. My current LP is about 9.5lbs. The neck feels good in my hand but I dunno. There's just something irking me. I love how it looks and sounds but I'm just not compelled to pick it up. Could be a me problem.... hard to pin it down.

I play standing up mostly, sitting down with it is hard to adjust to so I avoid that. I guess a lighter Les Paul MIGHT do the trick, I'd need to get some decent time on a few light examples to figure that out.

Edit: I can't get my hands to do what they do on my PRS on my LP. If that makes any sense.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
It's a beautiful instrument, but hey, they were meant to be played :)
if you're not playing enough, I'd sell it. No need to clutter your house w/ stuff you don't use. I sell absolutely ALL of the gear I don't use in 6 months. Only exception is my very first guitar.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What is it that makes you not pick up LP to play?

Feel? Fret access? Sound? Weight?

Steven

Reaction score
You are asking for opinions on whether or not you should sell it, since you are reticent and state you do not wish to regret selling it. You state you regret selling a Les Paul. You are presently uncertain hence should wait on selling it. You need to give more time into making such a decision. I know this from first-hand experience.

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
My 21' slash is the best God damn guitar I've ever played.

Tried a couple r8s in considering trading it In awhile back... couldn't do it

Latest Threads