Selling my Les Pauls (neck pain)

zigzag

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with neck pain from heavy guitars, but I thought this was from muscle inflammation against a nerve in the spine or bone spurs/bad discs creating pressure on a nerve. I thought migraines had different causes.

Olds442

Reaction score
i've been done with heavy LP's since getting my first decent flying V.

6 lbs. and contrary to popular internet folk lore, they are easy to play sitting down. moreso than a heavy roundback.

James R

Reaction score
I’ve never played one, so I can’t speak for the weight or tone, but if you would like to continue gigging with a Les Paul, maybe search out an ES version.
Those SGs are killer though.
I only play at home but usually standing, my SG is the one I can play all night long without any sort of discomfort whatsoever. Even my 335 starts to bug me after a while, but that SG feels fantastic to strap on after wearing myself out with a heavier guitar.

Droog

Reaction score
Do what you have to do to keep rocking. Not like SG's or Juniors are a step down, just a shuffle sideways.

MooCheng

Reaction score
lighter guitars is a good way to go, there's no point suffering when there's no need.
all the heavyweights went years ago for much the same reason, they never got played

MooCheng

Reaction score
lighter guitars is a good way to go, there's no point suffering when there's no need.
all the heavyweights went years ago for much the same reason, they never got played

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
Health is always the most important thing, and it looks like you still have some really nice guitars

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As others said, go chambered. The SG neck dive is just not worth it. My chambered 2009 Les Paul Studio Silverburst is stupidly light, 7lbs or less. Wish it was heavier...

RAG7890

Reaction score
Well it's great to see yuo have options re your neck pains Rich.

But yeah, as others have said we're lucky, lots of options.

Chambered Reissue
ES335 / ES336
SG
Telecaster
Stratocaster

Lot's of great options at < 7.5lbs.

If the SG is doing it that's awesome. :thumbs: :)

:cheers2:

rich85

Reaction score
As others said, go chambered. The SG neck dive is just not worth it. My chambered 2009 Les Paul Studio Silverburst is stupidly light, 7lbs or less. Wish it was heavier...

There was actually no neck dive on all three 2018 SG Standards I tried, even with Grover tuners. I thought it would have to replace them straight away but its perfect. It seems like Gibsons is choosing the lightest mahogany possible for the necks or its just luck. I have no experience with earlier SG Standards but the neck dive thing seems common from what I have read anyway. I tried them with a cheapo nylon strap and they didnt move at all.

rich85

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with neck pain from heavy guitars, but I thought this was from muscle inflammation against a nerve in the spine or bone spurs/bad discs creating pressure on a nerve. I thought migraines had different causes.

Yeah basically it took 10 years for doctors to figure out all my pain was migraine related. I get migraines but mine also cause all the nerves in my neck to become hyper and in turn cause the neck muscles to cramp etc. It was manageable until around 2 years ago then it became out of hand really.

AlanH

Reaction score
Dqv__LjU8AAVS54
DqwACjgUcAAg9Pj

Were you using those straps for your Les Pauls?

Nice SGs BTW

John

Reaction score
I sympathize with you, as I can relate. Back/shoulder pain was one of the motivating reasons for me to flip my neckthrough Stingray 5 and get a Lakland 5 string that's about a couple pounds lighter. The longer scale length is another nice bonus for my musical applications, too, but I digress.

Latest Threads