Selling in Luthier's Corner - or Luthier's Corner Classifieds?

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
I gain nothing from it but, until directed otherwise, when someone seeks a product that I have experience with, I will offer my opinion when we are asked for a recommendation. It matters not to me whether the source is a member

Our offerings do get kind of lost in the classifieds. All it would take is permission and agreement that an offering of a luthier oriented tool or part can use an exclusive color font in the listing title. The issue is NOT the payment of a fee to be a vendor- it is the separation that is needed in the Vendors' or Sponsors' status listings. It would work nicely for other specialties too- harnesses, pickups, harness parts, hardware. Just a thought on a way to make a body template set, or fretboard template, and the above items easy to spot.

emoney

Reaction score
I could be just getting old, but didn't we have this exact same topic come up last year,
and the year before that, and the year before that?

Adinol

Reaction score
I could be just getting old, but didn't we have this exact same topic come up last year,
History repeats itself. Sounds like a sticky to me, LOL.

pshupe

Reaction score
emoney you are definitely getting old! ;-) I guess for newer people it is hard to know what transpired here 2 years ago or last year. I've been here for a while and don't remember the discussion.

It's unfortunate that an honest question is met with what seems to be a small amount of vitriol. It seems to happen more and more, which is fine. I think it stops people from asking the questions, which may IMO ultimately hurt the forum. People stop feeling like they are part of the group and may stop contributing.

I found out what I needed and thank all the contributors.

Regards Peter.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I could be just getting old...

Yes :thumb:

...but didn't we have this exact same topic come up last year,

Yes

I really wish...as I've mentioned in some of these past threads...that we could have a sub-section of the Luthier's corner devoted to luthier' specific tools and materials, etc...or, a sticky in this section with a F/S thread, similar to the one I linked to earlier.

:fingersx:

:wave:

:)

Frank

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes :thumb:

Yes

I really wish...as I've mentioned in some of these past threads...that we could have a sub-section of the Luthier's corner devoted to luthier' specific tools and materials, etc...or, a sticky in this section with a F/S thread, similar to the one I linked to earlier.

:fingersx:

:wave:

:)

Frank

Frank,

We'll discuss more of this at the Philly show, I hope! :naughty:

As a builder myself, I'm sympathetic to the needs of this particular corner of MLP. As it stands, I can't recall a better, higher-traffic build forum than this sub-forum of MLP. Higher traffic means more opinions, more help, more resources, etc. I came here over 5 years ago, the first year almost never venturing out of the Luthier's Corner (at that time I thought the Backstage was an in-joke among a private club where I didn't know anybody). I learned more off this sub-forum in a few short months than I had elsewhere over a matter of years. From a realization that others may well have the same story here, I'd like this small community to be the very best resource for all things concerning the building craft.

I will do what I can to lobby for a few of what I'd call "adjustments", but bear in mind that rules are here for a reason, and that reason may not be immediately apparent to those who don't work here, nor own the place.

When the subject of money, the prospect of money, business, etc come up, people have varied positions and viewpoints. Some folks here are purely hobbyists, and have no desire to turn a coin. Others will attempt profit by any means at their disposal. Some here are professionals, and it is their very business to make money. That is the prime objective of every business.

Why do I bring that up?

It's about fair play. This is the reason why we don't allow Vendors and Sponsors to advertise in areas outside their specific relative forums. While most Vendors and Sponsors we have here are fine folks and strictly play by the rules set forth, others are much more "cut-throat" and attempt to skirt those rules at every opportunity. This isn't fair to other Vendors and Sponsors who do their best to observe the rules.

That much already happens more than we'd like it to.

What we consider our legitimate fear with a separate "Luthier's Classified" (strictly for the builder's community) is that it will become a trouble-zone of over-spamming, competition, battles, etc. Not to mention some who would inevitably "bump" their wares Ad nauseam, "he can do it, why can't I do it", etc.

Also to consider is to be fair to the Vendors and Sponsors. Would it be fair for members to have their own parts/tools/materials forum, and Vendors/Sponsors not to have one?

All this being said, I do realize that most of the builder community here are fantastic people, most of which offer their help and advice eagerly and in earnest. I love this place, because of the people in it. They are the sort that if you were neighbors, you could wander into their shop on a Saturday and they would drop whatever project they had planned and help you out with whatever you brought in with you. I'm sure that every one of you know what I mean by that.

Good neighborly, helpful folks are what would make a "builder's classifieds" sub-forum a success. I'd like to see it happen.

If we can find a way to have it happen, but smoothly and without troubles, I'll lobby for such an adjustment.

pshupe

Reaction score
Very nicely put, Dave. This is the reason I had surmised after getting a couple thwacks on the nose with rolled up newspaper and sent to the corner. Thanks to Frank as well for posting the question.

I might suggest that the rules are changed slightly to reflect this sentiment. What I mean by that is making sales its own rule. It doesn't have to be long just a sentence or two at the most. I had looked multiple times in the rules before finding those few words lumped towards the end of a rule that is mainly regarding lewd behaviour etc.

If it was spelled out a little bit better in the rules I wouldn't have needed to PM the mods, or probably even post this thread, which may have been a relief to some here.

Regards Peter.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughtful response, Dave! And absolutely, you'll see me in Philly in a couple of months, and we can discuss more then.

I completely understand the fine line we sometimes walk between vendors and non-vendors, and fair play. I think Peter is a good example of someone who is borderline between the two...as am I, for that matter. That's why, when I started that F/S thread a few years ago, I specifically included the following guidelines, which I thought would help make that distinction:

Guidelines:

To help avoid any conflict with any forum rules, I want to clarify the following with regard to this thread…

Items normally sold by you as part of a business should not be sold here. Likewise, completed guitars you’ve built should not be sold here either. As a random example of the former, someone who builds and sells pickups as a full or part-time business should not sell their pickups here. Sign up as a vendor instead and sell your items in the appropriate place. However, a luthier/builder with some extra pickups laying around would be welcome to post here.

Likewise, anyone offering a service…become a vendor and sell your services in the appropriate place. An example might be a guitar painter/finisher who tries to sell his services here, rather than in the vendor or business classified section.

We want to continue to ensure that the Luthier’s Corner is not used to circumvent rules pertaining to businesses and vendors.

Anyway, if there's anything you can do to help, it would be great, but if not, I can completely understand.

And see you in Philly! :thumb:

Frank

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nicely put, Dave. This is the reason I had surmised after getting a couple thwacks on the nose with rolled up newspaper and sent to the corner. Thanks to Frank as well for posting the question.

I might suggest that the rules are changed slightly to reflect this sentiment. What I mean by that is making sales its own rule. It doesn't have to be long just a sentence or two at the most. I had looked multiple times in the rules before finding those few words lumped towards the end of a rule that is mainly regarding lewd behaviour etc.

If it was spelled out a little bit better in the rules I wouldn't have needed to PM the mods, or probably even post this thread, which may have been a relief to some here.

Regards Peter.

I would remind you that mods don't make the rules or change them; that is the exclusive territory of the administrator/owner.

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank,

We'll discuss more of this at the Philly show, I hope! :naughty:

Is there an event/show of some sort in Philly coming up?

I'm only about an hour away and would love a chance to meet a few MLP people

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, what rock have you been hiding under? :cool: :hmm: :thumb:

k

I dunno, but it must have been a big 'un :)

Now that I've been dug out from under it I'll be there for sure. Love to meet you :)

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell, thats not even Philly.

Thats in Phoenixville, only about a 30 minute drive from my place :)

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I dunno, but it must have been a big 'un :)

Now that I've been dug out from under it I'll be there for sure. Love to meet you :)

Chris, come on by! Me and the better half are flying out from SoCal.

All da way across the USA.

(Non-refundable tix, so you folks know I'll be there :laugh2:)

Chris, The Fall Philly show is an MLP staple. Lots of members show up. Frank will definitely be there (and I reckon he'll bring along some of his beauties, likely his vintage '59)

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris, come on by! Me and the better half are flying out from SoCal.

All da way across the USA.

(Non-refundable tix, so you folks know I'll be there :laugh2:)

Chris, The Fall Philly show is an MLP staple. Lots of members show up. Frank will definitely be there (and I reckon he'll bring along some of his beauties, likely his vintage '59)

If I'm not there I'm a douche!

I'm no douche :)

emoney

Reaction score
If I'm not there I'm a douche!

I'm no douche :)

Ummm.....you realize that this is far too easy for me, so I'm regretfully going
to pass, however, in the future...not so much:naughty:

SEE! I told you all I'm not getting old. I'm obviously a genius too, so let's
all keep that in mind.

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm.....you realize that this is far too easy for me, so I'm regretfully going
to pass, however, in the future...not so much:naughty:

SEE! I told you all I'm not getting old. I'm obviously a genius too, so let's
all keep that in mind.

Hey I'm no thin skinned little girl over here. Dont go easy on my account :)

Latest Threads