Selling in Luthier's Corner - or Luthier's Corner Classifieds?

pshupe

Reaction score
I have built a few guitars in threads here and I have stumbled across some interesting templates and sometimes some decent prices on wood, and things that are of specific interest to those that frequent the Luthier's Corner.

I have inquired about becoming a Vendor, but currently it is not allowed to advertise, or discuss the selling of items in this section. Selling is only allowed in the Classified sections. The problem there is that I, and I'm sure a lot of other people that frequent this section, never go to any other section, and also the members classified section is packed full of guitars, gear, and unrelated items and the traffic is high. It is almost impossible to post something there and get anyone to actually see it.

I actually stopped making the headstock templates, and other things I had in the works, because the mods told me I couldn't sell here. I would like to get everyone's thoughts on the issue. I'm not sure why it is not allowed, so I would like to hear from the mods as well.

Regards Peter.

Adinol

Reaction score
Ads clutter content. Once content is cluttered people that go to forums with the intention to look for content will get the impression that there are better forums out there (those without ads) and will simply gravitate there.

I used to run a bulletin board (unrelated to guitars) and I also didn't allow advertising.

I also understand that this sucks for people that would like to occasionally post an ad and I believe that is what you are hoping to do. In other words, because of potential spammers people like you, who never have any intention to spam the forum, also can't post occasion ads. I actually wouldn't mind occasionally hearing about some things that some of the creative people here might have for sale.

Perhaps moderators could allow one announcement post per month. Something along the lines of people sending their announcements once a month to one of the mods and then that mod posting the announcements all in one thread. One thread per month, to benefit the creative builders on this forum, would not clutter the forum, in my opinion.

Open_Book

Reaction score
I would like to get everyone's thoughts on the issue. I'm not sure why it is not allowed, so I would like to hear from the mods as well.

Its pretty obvious. Thems' their rules.

Thats why theres a Classifieds and Vendors section.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Ads clutter content. Once content is cluttered people that go to forums with the intention to look for content will get the impression that there are better forums out there (those without ads) and will simply gravitate there.

Its pretty obvious.

That's why there's a Classifieds and Vendors section.

These sum it up pretty well.

pshupe

Reaction score
Open Book - my quote asks for opinions. "cause thems the rules" really isn't an opinion. I stated that it is a rule. I was just wondering the reasoning for it, which I didn't understand.

Adinol - thanks for your response. I understand that reasoning and it would probably open the flood gates for spam if the rule didn't exist. Thanks again.

Is this the rule? -

From the "forum rules" link at the bottom of each page.

3. We do not allow any posts that contain vulgar, obscene or indecent language or images; bigoted, hateful or racially/sexually offensive statements; has content that advocates illegal activity or discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them; unauthorized copyrighted material; language that defames, abuses or threatens others; advertising or any form of commercial solicitation and/or material that does not pertain to the room's given topic.
That's fine if that is the way it is, but frankly it is a bit vague and there seems to be posts every once in a while that are obvious advertising. I wanted to clarify this position before I became a "vendor" and then was forbade to post anything in the Luthier's Corner. As I have said the Classified sections I do not think would work well for my items. I'm sure they are great for someone selling a guitar, as someone is looking there to buy a guitar.

I would still like to hear from a mod. Thanks guys. I appreciate your input.

Cheers Peter.

Adinol

Reaction score
I gave this whole thing some more thought and since this is still an open discussion might as well share what went through my mind.

I think there will always be posts that can lead to sales of some sort. I've also seen some old posts that didn't at all give me the feeling that anyone objected to the fact that there was a small element of advertising in the post. People can usually tell the difference between an attempt to post an ad and a thread that is driven by the enthusiasm to build a new guitar (or whatnot) which eventually might end up with a sale. Basically, what was the prime motivation for the post.

I think there will always be a degree of tolerance for established members to post occasional "ads" as long as these "ads" are informative and are not primarily advertisements.

Open_Book

Reaction score
Open Book - my quote asks for opinions. "cause thems the rules" really isn't an opinion. I stated that it is a rule. I was just wondering the reasoning for it, which I didn't understand.

um,...you asked for thoughts, Shupe. I think you do understand though.

My understanding is some were annoyed with your constant recommendations of someones goods/product - in the great white north. So to have constant recommendations/spamming of a vendors goods on a forum that for, non-sales, when theres adequate classifieds/vendors forum seems somewhat silly to question. Its like asking why you can't park on a no-parking area. Is there a grey area I'm missing... :)

Having a link in a sig is enough imho. Save the sales pitch for the other forums.

pshupe

Reaction score
Frank - thanks for that link - *UPDATE* - Sorry Frank and I just read the guidelines in your linked thread. I don't have a business selling these templates that I would like to post in that thread, but I did make up a bunch and sell them to members. So I think it would be against the rules for me to post my templates there. That is a great thread for people that have some extra stuff laying around and I may use it for some extra maple tops that I doubt I will get around to using. I guess I would be pushing for something you are asking for as well in that thread, which would be a Luthier's Corner Classified section.

Open Book - Yep got it, I think. I know you like arguing semantics and though I think I make myself very clear, obviously you and I both don't get each other, so let's just leave it at that. I agree we don't need spam all over the place, and if that's the reason that is very valid. I won't comment on "my constant recommendations" as I know you are just baiting. Having said that I will be keeping that to a minimum in future.

Regards Peter

Open_Book

Reaction score
I won't comment on "my constant recommendations" as I know you are just baiting. Having said that I will be keeping that to a minimum in future.

I'm not baiting - thats your assumption and you are entitled to it.

Jim_E

Reaction score
I won't comment on "my constant recommendations" as I know you are just baiting. Having said that I will be keeping that to a minimum in future.

Regards Peter

I think it's beyond question that you've never knowingly missed an opportunity to flog the Bartlett plans, or any other service/product Bartlett offers... suggesting that making a note of this is "baiting", is hilarious.

IMO you should pay for vendor status and keep moving your products.

pshupe

Reaction score
JimE - This is not the point of this thread and the point has already been made. I have also acknowledged some people have issues with it and said I will keep to a minimum. Is that enough for you?

I would love to pay for Vendor status, which is the original point of this thread,"IF" there was a way for people here to see it. It does not look like that is possible though. But I would still like to here from a mod, or anyone else that has thoughts on the subject.

Regards Peter.

PS - I will refrain from recommending any services or product that Tom offers. Let that be the end of it. Thanks

chasenblues

Reaction score
I would love to pay for Vendor status, which is the original point of this thread,"IF" there was a way for people here to see it. It does not look like that is possible though. But I would still like to here from a mod, or anyone else that has thoughts on the subject.

3x's "Id like to here from a Mod on this"....Have you PM'd one yet about this.

Plenty of vendor's here from what i can see...I see them mentioned/getting referrals quite frequently in other threads .

Vendor Classifieds - MyLesPaul.com

Run a small business and want to sell gear? By becoming a MLP Vendor you get:

the ability to start unlimited threads in the Vendor Classifieds area
the ability to put a text ad in your Signature

a Vendor rank to let others know you support MLP
a Private Message capacity of 1,500 messages
a Personal Album capacity of 1,500 pictures
the ability to have a Profile Picture of 500x500 pixels
the ability to have an Avatar of 135x135 pixels
the ability to have an animated Signature
the ability to customize their title from "MLP Vendor"

pshupe

Reaction score
I PM'd Alex a while back about becoming a Vendor but didn't hear back. One of my threads was moved to the Classifieds, the one about the head stock templates. I had some questions about what is and what isn't allowed as I was told that there shouldn't be anything sold or advertised in the Luthier's Corner but I had seen a few posts here that were advertising sales. They were subsequently moved, but not before the person had sold everything they were advertising. Then there also seems to be some gray area posts as well.

I really just want to see if there is anyway that people here can be aware of the Luthier specific items I would be selling. If my items have to go in the member or vendor classifieds they would be almost impossible to find, even if people were shopping there, which I believe most people from here do not visit. I may be wrong about that?

Frank posted a link to a thread here that is interesting but I think what I am contemplating would be outside of the rules of that thread. I'm wondering whether a sticky thread like that for people selling Luthier specific items or possibly a Classified section under the Luthier's Corner, maybe a possibility?? That's it in a nutshell. Thanks.

Regards Peter.

Open_Book

Reaction score

I really just want to see if there is anyway that people here can be aware of the Luthier specific items I would be selling.
If my items have to go in the member or vendor classifieds they would be almost impossible to find, even if people were shopping there, which I believe most people from here do not visit. I may be wrong about that?

Yes there is. Its called a Banner - which shows at the top of the page.

Advertising

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Then get a vendor account and play by the rules set forth by the site owner. All the opinions in the world regarding this subject don't mean a thing. It's Alex's site and his rules.

The mods aren't going to tell you any different. It's already established policy that has already been quoted in this very thread.

Lastly and not speaking for the mods,simply stating fact - you can't have a link in your signature unless you are a paying vendor or sponsor.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
First of all, want to hear from a mod? PM one.

Secondly, want to sell stuff here? Become a Vendor or Sponsor. It's easy to do.

That being said, the rules here are simple. Vendors sell in the Vendors Classifieds, Sponsors sell in the Sponsor Classifieds.

No one sells in the Luthier's corner, as a business, or othetwise, no matter what their status is.

No exceptions. Pickup makers who are vendors do not spam the pickups forum, wiring harness makers do not spam the to Tonefreaks section, etc.

It's simple.

pshupe

Reaction score
martin6string - thanks for the reply. I am playing by the rules. I am the one that posted the rule. I have not advertised and do not have a link in my signature.

I am trying to confirm the actual rule. I think the rule is somewhat vague as it is posted above. This could just be me though. The "thoughts" I asked for is whether everyone reads the rule as I do, and possibly if there is anyone out there that would like to see a thread like Frank's for someone selling Luthier specific items or a Classified area here.

I am not trying to get around the rules or badger anyone into changing them. I am just asking a question because I am unsure of the specifics of the rule, or at least I was when I started this thread. I thought this could be a good discussion that would benefit both the members and forum itself.

I think I have enough information to make my decision thanks all for your "thoughts".

Regards Peter.

pshupe

Reaction score
Thank you Victor. That is what I was looking for. Clear as it can be.

Regards Peter.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Perfect

Latest Threads