Selling- How specific does a description need to be?

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
OK. I have an amp listed a couple places for sale. Asking right around $700. It’s an American made, well respected amp. I think the price is pretty fair, and probably on the low-end compared to other sellers. It’s not been used much, never gigged. In the listing, I just mention that it is in excellent condition, has hardly any hours on it at all, zero issues or problems. I have never gotten much more specific than that with my listings. I had a guy respond with a couple of questions. I basically said the same thing, it’s in the listing, there are no issues whatsoever it’s in great shape and functions perfectly. He comes back with “you didn’t answer my questions“. Hmmm, I detect a fussy little bitch here, I don’t want this person to buy my amp. I just responded with the same thing, and said if that doesn’t cover everything, maybe this isn’t for you. He of course got defensive, and came back with a nasty response. I don’t care at this point, cause I can tell this is somebody I don’t want to do business with. That was my final response to him, Thanks, but please move along, and don’t ever buy anything from me. Maybe I’m just having a bad day...

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Maybe you didn't answer all his questions? Maybe provide buyers with your phone number if you don't feel like typing?

James R

Premium Member
Reaction score
What were his questions?

Personally, I try to put a good bit of info in my ads.
I try to think about any question that a potential buyer may have, and then include that in the ad, just to save myself time down the line.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't answer all his questions?
From my perspective “excellent condition, low hours, no issues whatsoever” should cover it. I’ve been selling a long time, and I’ve never been more descriptive than that. Never had anybody complain about it. I just got a bad vibe from this guy immediately, and wanted to run the other way. Might have actually been able to complete the sale, and chose to let it go.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
You're being too vague even in this thread.
Excellent condition to me means brand new like it just came out of the box. I've seen others list excellent condition guitars with dents and buckle rash. Low hours means under 100 hours to me but someone else will say below 10 hours.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
What were his questions?
That was my question too..

Is it really thatt hard to respond to the few questions from a potential customer? I mean you are the one selling it. lol, thats just my opinion. I have always found communication key in any sale, expecially with local sales.

splatter

Reaction score
From my perspective “excellent condition, low hours, no issues whatsoever” should cover it. I’ve been selling a long time, and I’ve never been more descriptive than that. Never had anybody complain about it. I just got a bad vibe from this guy immediately, and wanted to run the other way. Might have actually been able to complete the sale, and chose to let it go.
I hate it when someone ask a question that is directly covered in the add . Like if the add say " no tolex tears " and they come back and ask "is the tolex torn"
However what you may not realize is your idea of "excellent condition" and my idea of "excellent condition" my differ .
I had a guy trade guitars with me once and MIne was described as mint ,he said his was also . His was scratched to hell. So I can understand some questions if thats all ou have in your add.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I hate it when someone ask a question that is directly covered in the add . Like if the add say " no tolex tears " and they come back and ask "is the tolex torn"
However what you may not realize is your idea of "excellent condition" and my idea of "excellent condition" my differ .
I had a guy trade guitars with me once and MIne was described as mint ,he said his was also . His was scratched to hell. So I can understand some questions if thats all ou have in your add.
Yeah, I get that. I’ve seen a lot of stuff that was described to be an excellent or even mint condition, and was nowhere close. I guess I forget that people aren’t 100% honest in their descriptions all the time. I know I’m being honest, but I guess that doesn’t mean everybody else knows. I just didn’t think I needed to put a complete list of individual things that are right with the amp. He wanted to know if there were a couple of things wrong, and I basically said no there’s nothing wrong at all. Oh well.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of want to respond with the question

How specific does an OP need to be - to garner intelligent responses.

What were his actual questions Fry ?
I actually deleted his messages, and I can’t remember exactly. One was a question about filter caps, and the most important thing he was concerned about is does it hum.

mrdannyboy

Reaction score
thread completed. we will never know, all the what coulda beens all gone with a click of the delete button, could it still be in your trash or deleted mail

EndGame00

Reaction score
OK. I have an amp listed a couple places for sale. Asking right around $700. It’s an American made, well respected amp. I think the price is pretty fair, and probably on the low-end compared to other sellers. It’s not been used much, never gigged. In the listing, I just mention that it is in excellent condition, has hardly any hours on it at all, zero issues or problems. I have never gotten much more specific than that with my listings. I had a guy respond with a couple of questions. I basically said the same thing, it’s in the listing, there are no issues whatsoever it’s in great shape and functions perfectly. He comes back with “you didn’t answer my questions“. Hmmm, I detect a fussy little bitch here, I don’t want this person to buy my amp. I just responded with the same thing, and said if that doesn’t cover everything, maybe this isn’t for you. He of course got defensive, and came back with a nasty response. I don’t care at this point, cause I can tell this is somebody I don’t want to do business with. That was my final response to him, Thanks, but please move along, and don’t ever buy anything from me. Maybe I’m just having a bad day...
From my perspective “excellent condition, low hours, no issues whatsoever” should cover it.
From a buyer's perspective, this doesn't really give me the answer I am looking for. It is just too "generic" response, especially if the potential buyer is asking for specific

I've sold an amp on Reverb before. I received questions about the footswitch if there is a latency when switching from one channel to another, or whether the amp is stock or modded, hum or noise, etc...

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
As I said, maybe I’m just having a bad day. The way he came back at me kind of rubbed me the wrong way, like he thought I was trying to hide something. That’s his right as a potential buyer, I guess. I’ve sold tons of stuff over the last 18 years or so, and rarely had any kind of issues. Too many short nights this week, maybe need a nap.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
If you got as specific as you got here (no link, no quoting of your ad, no quoting of questions, etc...),
maybe that's why you got some "questions".
:)
If you keep repeating the same original stuff that raised the questions,
how do you think it's gonna do the job of answering the questions?

I guess you have to look at that from the buyer's perspective
but from your reaction I'm not sure you can do that.
Not blaming you but wondering.
You could also not care to do that but then don't blame the potential buyers for being careful buyers.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
If you got as specific as you got here (no link, no quoting of your ad, no quoting of questions, etc...),
maybe that's why you got some "questions".
:)
If you keep repeating the same original stuff that raised the questions,
how do you think it's gonna do the job of answering the questions?

I guess you have to look at that from the buyer's perspective
but from your reaction I'm not sure you can do that.
Not blaming you but wondering.
You could also not care to do that but then don't blame the potential buyers for being careful buyers.
I guess it’s just such a rare thing for me. Like I said, I’ve sold a ton of stuff in the last 18 years or so, and it’s really been pretty smooth sailing. The more I think about it, I think it was the guy’s response that I thought came off as kind of snarky. If it said “great, but could you just be a little more specific?“, I would have done just that. I just felt a bad vibe coming off this guy, and I decided to blow it up. I don’t regret it, I think my instinct was correct in this particular situation. I will take this new experience with me, and use it in the future. With any luck, I will get this thing sold from craigslist, and the person can come and thoroughly inspect it with their own eyes and ears.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Shrug it off. Part of selling is selling to someone you can tolerate, and know they're not going to be back up your ass, even after the deal is done

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you guys want to buy my amp? I’m thinning the herd. Is the best amp I’ve ever owned. It’s in unplayed condition, still has the original strings...

Hamtone

Reaction score
Maybe you guys want to buy my amp? I’m thinning the herd. Is the best amp I’ve ever owned. It’s in unplayed condition, still has the original strings...
You forgot:
Always serviced by the best amp guy in the country, never been recapped in 60 years