Sellers Rant ! Idiot buyers with stupid questions !

vklobucar

Reaction score
No the OP ran off to work and is now back at home to see the results :)

Look, I am cool with answering one question that you might not have seen in my (example.....does it come with a hardshell case?) but when its pretty obvious that you did not read one freaking line and are just acting stupid, then I draw the line.

I do not use stupid catch phrases like "plays like butter and best guitar I ever owned" but simply state the facts...condition, mods etc....

I had one guy wanting to buy an EVH Wolfgang guitar and ask what the Floyd Rose was and why it had only one knob and said "tone" instead of volume?????

I'm selling a used guitar and not giving electric guitar / EVH history 101 classes here!

Cranky? No just limited patience with bullshit and 2020 morons who are clearly too stupid or lazy to google answers.

And why in the world would you be buying a shred guitar, EVHmodel and not know what a Floyd is or why its labelled tone?

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
No, prior to the last two FS postings of my shit, I haven't sold anything in a while. I ceased being a flipper because it wasn't worth it anymore with the oversupply. Even on rarer, harder to find items, items which you would think would elicit a more 'educated' buyer, nope. The world is getting stupider.....

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
I am going to ask questions and evaluate answers. By the time it gets to face to face, I would wager I probably know more about that particular model than the seller does. What I do not know is the provenance on THAT specific guitar.

You can bet I am going to ask because I am the one with the geeters in my pocket to pay for it. If I am face to face, I do not have an issue with price and will not nickel and dime. I will try to find out the environment that guitar has been exposed to such as stored in case, gigged, falls, bumps... If I am laying out long geet for something, I will ask.... I know it's mine once I pay and walk away. Some I need few questions answered by examining.... But I will ask something and read the seller.... Sell me a hot and your life will be miserable...for a while.... The real owner will get his item even if I lose chippies on it. Just is. I hold no truck with a damn thief.....especially a thief that will steal from another musician.... If I buy, I WILL have a copy of your drivers license or I will not buy. No negotiation. It is not personal and I will always be 110% courteous....until it is time to not be courteous....

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A good answer is: "To pay off medical bills if you must know."

Followed by: "Are you able to make me an offer now, because I have another buyer who is ready to buy."

That tells the buyer you're serious, and not much in the mood to negotiate.

If the buyer fumbles around after that, thank them for their interest and end the conversation.

toymaker

Reaction score
Buyers ask tons of stupid questions - this is to be expected and if you dont like dealing with them, pay consignment fees or donate/trade.

As to "why are you selling" - agreed its a stupid question to ask a retailer. As your not a retailer...its not stupid to ask YOU.

Its an "ice breaker", lots of people will use to feel you out...perhaps your stupud and say "i needz money fast" or maybe you just say "it was my exes, dads, grandads, ect and I dont play" - they use this as negotiation leverage....some people may also be feeling you out to make sure your not selling stolen goods.

Provide an honest answer - as a seller, every contact is a potential buyer. An idiots money spends the same and Ive found they are more likely to part with it easier

vklobucar

Reaction score
Provide an honest answer - as a seller, every contact is a potential buyer. An idiots money spends the same and Ive found they are more likely to part with it easier

I must politely disagree.

When it comes to both local sales as well as internet sales, an idiot can be a major pain in the ass! Weeding out such fools (who ask endless and stupid questions) usually saves me from much grief down the road.

I sold a very clean 2012 LP Trad on Reverb last year and this guy was asking stupid question after stupid question. I kick myself for not listening to my inner voice and sold it to him.

I will spare you the details but he made a Paypal claim (all was disclosed and it was a very clean but used LP) and demanded a percentage back to cover his "luthiers cost of buffing out the fine scratches" and of course those twats at Paypal sided with him.

Another local village idiot bought a cheap Squier SE from me ( now these are selling used for a max of $150) and then rang my door a few days later to complain that it did not stay in tune and demanding a full refund.

So ya I listen now to my "Spidey senses" and ignore village idiots all together.

Fine I will accept that "why are you selling" can be an icebreaker but other dumb questions ( as always answered in the listing) are a huge red flag for me!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score

I must politely disagree.

When it comes to both local sales as well as internet sales, an idiot can be a major pain in the ass! Weeding out such fools (who ask endless and stupid questions) usually saves me from much grief down the road.

I sold a very clean 2012 LP Trad on Reverb last year and this guy was asking stupid question after stupid question. I kick myself for not listening to my inner voice and sold it to him.

I will spare you the details but he made a Paypal claim (all was disclosed and it was a very clean but used LP) and demanded a percentage back to cover his "luthiers cost of buffing out the fine scratches" and of course those twats at Paypal sided with him.

Another local village idiot bought a cheap Squier SE from me ( now these are selling used for a max of $150) and then rang my door a few days later to complain that it did not stay in tune and demanding a full refund.

So ya I listen now to my "Spidey senses" and ignore village idiots all together.

Fine I will accept that "why are you selling" can be an icebreaker but other dumb questions ( as always answered in the listing) are a huge red flag for me!
OK so listen:
If you're not gonna sell the dog with the red collar, just say it out right and stop teasing us.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
I always ask if the guitar is in tune, if not...fugget about it.

vklobucar

Reaction score
I always ask if the guitar is in tune, if not...fugget about it.

LOL! :)

Now that changes everything

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
Yesterday, I got the “Why are you selling?” for an amp I have listed on kijiji.

Kijiji’s messaging feature shows you when the message was sent and sometimes, when it was read. I answered him 2 minutes after he asked the question, he read it shortly after. A day later, I still haven’t heard back. Oh well...

fry

Reaction score

I quit using PayPal with Reverb, I set up through their own payment option. Reverb gives them a week to claim any issue, the end. PayPal gives people until the end of civilization to make a claim on something, and then finds in the buyer’s favor every time.

James R

Reaction score
Why am I selling?
Pretty simple really, I would just prefer to have your cash instead of my guitar.
Why are you buying?
I bet it has something to do with you preffering to have my guitar instead of your cash.
It's like it was meant to be!

Pappy58

Reaction score
This kind of crap is exactly why I don sell anything online. Craigs list for local buyers, FB Market place for local buyers, or I take them to a local shop and put them up on consignment. Interweb buyers are too fickle and then they get it and don't like it and want to return it. Not worth the hassle.