Sellers Rant ! Idiot buyers with stupid questions !

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I ask that question, just to see if the guy is a good story teller.

But not before making them listen to stories about the last three guys I tried to buy from today.

Then offer $10 less then the agreed upon price.

BKS

Reaction score
Oh well.... I do ask it sometimes. If seller keeps telling the guitar is so good. I want to know why he is selling it. It is not always that he needs the cash. Not all sellers are a$$holes and reason i often hear is weight.... Or they Just don't use it anymore :applause:
Oh i also ask it if i don't want to buy.... But i always put it in the message that i am not buying. And yes it is a nice conversation starter :laugh2:

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Then of course there is the mother of all dumb questions......
"Why are you selling?"
Cut it dead, there and then, man.

"My cat took a shit in the volume control cut-aways two weeks ago.
No matter what I do I can't get rid of the smell.
Whole house stinks of it now."

You want to make sure they NEVER contact you again.
Otherwise it'll only get worse and they'll ask for their money back after one gig.
:D

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well the thing is, the buyer has the advantage. You are in a position where if you're trying to sell something you have to deal with who knows who? So you want the sale, you want the money, they know it and will milk that position to ask a lot of questions. And maybe touch on something they can knock you down a bit with.
I dislike buying OR selling privately. I don't want to deal with a bunch of stupid questions and endless e-mails as a seller and I am leery of someone's goods as a buyer.

BigJim

Reaction score
I'll ask that too, usually when the seller has gone on and on and on about how amazingly awesome, rare, unique and special the item is.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
I don't sell anything so i never had that issue of buyer inquiries,..... but i have been hammered by a few friends and individuals that have been around my stuff often asking if i want to sell,.... sometimes with cash in hand,..... I have been tempted on a few occasions,.... but i can't do it.

This does bother me greatly......... no is no..... not for sale amigo.

(though i have given a couple here and there to family as gifts)

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
nope, I'm convinced buyers are getting dumber and dumber. I feel your pain. Plus not to mention you put your shit on Reverb you're going to get some scammer attempting some level of bullshttery. I don't even respond to those iditos, or people who email me with some jacked up ridiculous email, or from people who just join either the forum or reverb. I'm waaaaay smarter to sniff those fuckers out. Then comes the paypal pitty party....JFC don't get me started n that....

ns2a

Reaction score
Is it still for sale?
In fairness to that question is half the time it's already sold, but the ad is still up.

I always put in my CL ads, "if you see the ad, this is still for sale". Of course I get, "it it still for sale".

spoony

Reaction score
The OP has ducked out of the conversation and we are all left in the circle jerk. Bet I know what he's thinking.

Bunch of idiots!

I think I'll go over to the classifieds and see why all those folks are selling them there guitars? Hopefully I don't get banned.

:laugh2:

s

Last edited:

jtees4

Reaction score
I think you should answer questions, all normal questions....and do it nicely. Not everyone reads well, some buyers are reading a foreign language (literally). I sold a nice USA PRS not too long ago, a bunch of folks locally wanted it, most were trying to negotiate ( a bit too hard) before seeing it, but obviously wanted the guitar. Then I got a new buyer, I thought he was a scammer at first, wanted to meet me at strange hours etc. I went back and forth for a couple of days until he could meet me at a normal hour outside a GC (busy public place).....paid my price in cash. Turns out he barely spoke English, and he drove an ice cream truck, worked many hours during the day and sometimes into the night (this was in the summer). He asked me lots of questions, some very basic....but I just had a feeling and turned out right. The best part was then I got to text back to the couple of guys that REALLY wanted it to tell them it was sold.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I think you should answer questions, all normal questions....and do it nicely. Not everyone reads well, some buyers are reading a foreign language (literally). I sold a nice USA PRS not too long ago, a bunch of folks locally wanted it, most were trying to negotiate ( a bit too hard) before seeing it, but obviously wanted the guitar. Then I got a new buyer, I thought he was a scammer at first, wanted to meet me at strange hours etc. I went back and forth for a couple of days until he could meet me at a normal hour outside a GC (busy public place).....paid my price in cash. Turns out he barely spoke English, and he drove an ice cream truck, worked many hours during the day and sometimes into the night (this was in the summer). He asked me lots of questions, some very basic....but I just had a feeling and turned out right. The best part was then I got to text back to the couple of guys that REALLY wanted it to tell them it was sold.
Far too many asshole scammers out there they have put me into DTA mode.....

Dont Trust Anyone

I refuse to answer dumb questions which aren't specifiically denoted in the ad. Read the fucking ad. And don't ask me ridiculous questions which anyone with a shred of quasi knowledge about something should ask. My last thing I sold was CC2, and I had more than my fair share of insipid emails or PM's 'hey does this have braz...' which proved their ignorance. If you know what CC2 is and the CC line was, you know the answer. None of them did. Yeah probably my brashness may put off a prospective buyer, but I'm sick and tired of it TBH, assholes like that have made selling such a hassle now.

Nothing compares to the brashness the owner of Buffalo Drum Outlet would give prospecitve customers who were just tyre kicking....Once he knew you (as he did me) he would be very nice to you and do what he could to make the sale, but if he treated EVERYONE like that he'd get taken advantage of. I heard it far too many times, 'that guy at BDO he's an asshole, don't buy from him' but he was anything farther from that. Buyers are ruining it IMHO...

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
I think I'll go over to the classifieds and see why all those folks are selling them there guitars? Hopefully I don't get banned.
Don't forget, they'll want PPG.

Reactions: ehb

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt a single forum member would walk into a local GC and point to a guitar for sale in the used section (or new for that matter) and ask "why are you selling?" and yet thru private sales that's somehow ok?

To each his own, but I disagree.

I had a fellow shoot dumb question after another to me a while back and then demand that "If he bought the guitar" issue a bill of sale AND written warranty too! All from a private classifieds sale!
Do you know why ?

Because they can check out the guitars in person, right there in their hands to see if there's anything the seller is not disclosing.

But I will agree with the written warranty thing on a used, pre-owned instrument.