Sellers Rant ! Idiot buyers with stupid questions !

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
So I have decided to sell of a few guitars including a sweet 1981Gibson Les Paul Tobacco Deluxe.

I pride myself on taking many detailed pictures (frets, headstock, pickup cavity, control cavity etc) and giving a proper detailed description.

Now if a potential buyer overlooked one aspect of my sale (ie. comes with original hardshell case) I can understand that. But when a buyer emails me and rattles off one stupid question after another, I choose to just ignore and not respond.

Then of course there is the mother of all dumb questions......

"Why are you selling?"

Huh? Go into a supermarket or car dealership and ask that same idiotic question and see the stares that you'll get!

Sigh......
Lots of good posts in here but more to the point,
why is your name vklobucar?
And is the dog with a red collar in your avatar for sale too?
Please post more pics.
I am not looking to buy a dog at the present but it sure looks good.
And maybe I know someone who would buy it.
I like dogs.

Deftone

Reaction score
I'm currently selling a bunch of Hot rod and drag race parts myself. This guy asks me " how much for the SBC 400 Short block?" I tell him "$1000."

He says "GOOD LUK WITH THAT HAHAHA!" "YOR PRICES ARE STUPID." "I BEEN DOIN THIS FOR 40 YEARS." "THAT BLOCK IS ONLY WORTH $200, MAYBE $700-800 FOR THE CRANK AND $500 FOR THE RODS AND PISTONS."

I respond: "Uh, that's $1400." "I'll tell you what, I sell it to you for $1400 and I'll throw in a free calculator."

His response: "FUK YUU."

Me: "I can help you with your spelling too."

Hours of entertainment. Sometimes I think about posting stuff I don't even own, just to mess with people.

jaycoyoyo

I would rather be playing guitar.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think there is a balance somehow somewhere between

wanting enough info to feel confident in your purchase
versus
trying to gain leverage by asking tons of questions.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
That was you??

So I have decided to sell of a few guitars including a sweet 1981Gibson Les Paul Tobacco Deluxe.

I pride myself on taking many detailed pictures (frets, headstock, pickup cavity, control cavity etc) and giving a proper detailed description.

Now if a potential buyer overlooked one aspect of my sale (ie. comes with original hardshell case) I can understand that. But when a buyer emails me and rattles off one stupid question after another, I choose to just ignore and not respond.

Then of course there is the mother of all dumb questions......

"Why are you selling?"

Huh? Go into a supermarket or car dealership and ask that same idiotic question and see the stares that you'll get!

Sigh......

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
If buying from an individual, you can pretty well bet I am going to ask that question....

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate the weight question. More than anything. I recently sold like 6 strats and anyone that asked for the weight was not getting a response. Its a fuckin Strat. They're light. Get over it.

DotStudio

Reaction score
I just answer the questions. I really don't care how dumb someone is, just that they have the proper amount of currency. If I got all riled up regarding reading comprehension skills, MLP would be unbearable.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
I always ask the seller why they are selling the item. If their response is not up to par with me...I walk.

I'm hard like that

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
I ask the question not as much as for the answer, more of how they answer....

If I buy a used car from a dealer, I am damn sure gonna ask where they got the vehicle. ie. trade, auction, where it's been, etc...

Another thing I am gonna do from an individual is to ask for their driver's license so I can take a pic...

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
I doubt a single forum member would walk into a local GC and point to a guitar for sale in the used section (or new for that matter) and ask "why are you selling?" and yet thru private sales that's somehow ok?
I'm not sure how a person would even compare a store to a private sale at all. I get asked that all the time. I politely decline to answer.

Latest Threads